corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Steak

Poll: Steak
Blue - I am a real man 9 (5.2%)
Rare 36 (20.81%)
Medium Rare 61 (35.26%)
Medium 32 (18.5%)
Medium Well 20 (11.56%)
Well Done - I like to ruin perfectly good meat and should consider vegetarianism 15 (8.67%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steak
sc0ott

User status: Offline
19th Mar 13 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apart from hammer, does anyone else cook theirs in the microwave?
Carl

19th Mar 13 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cook mine in a house coat.
mwg

19th Mar 13 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
30 seconds either side, done. If it's anything more than lukewarm in the middle I've cooked it too long

You see when I've had it blue in the past what's put me off is the fact that it's stone cold in the middle. Cook it just a little bit longer turning it regularly it's still rare in the middle but the warmth has managed to get through to the middle without cooking it. Heston Blumenthal might have a stupid name but he knows how to cook a steak!
mwg

19th Mar 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Medium rare for me, nice and pink but not too bloody. If you cook it yourself its very important to rest it. I never used to bother till I saw heston's guide to steaks, worth a watch. He does a test on resukts of resting it against not.

I saw that. That's where I got the turning it every 10-15 seconds thing from too
RichR
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't be cold in the middle cooked blue, if it is cold then the chef doesn't know how to cook a blue steak
mwg

19th Mar 13 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was the chef when I cooked it blue therefore it was cold in the middle
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my favourites from the US:

Came with the best side dish ever, a blooming onion

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RichR
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I was the chef when I cooked it blue therefore it was cold in the middle

Did you cook it straight out of the fridge or let it come up to room temperature first?
mwg

19th Mar 13 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Straight out the fridge. I know all about leaving it out the fridge for a couple of hours before cooking but this was 2 or 3 years ago before I started to learn how to cook a steak properly and used to just bang it straight in the pan from the fridge then eat it as soon as I'd cooked it
RichR
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was a bar/restaurant manager in a country pub, you'd often get people sending back a well done steak saying it wasn't done enough even though clearly it was and the chef's response was to batter the shit out of it with a meat hammer and deep fry it-it's surprising how many people then loved the steak even though it was beyond cremated!!
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not that fussed by steak, never seem to be able to find decent stuff round here so it's always got crappy bits in it.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive never had a blue steak before mine have always been pinky/redy/brown
James

19th Mar 13 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love steak but I'm terrible at cooking it. Medium for me. I always overvcook it at home. Gaucho is my favourite. Michael Jordan's steakhouse in NYC was also pretty good.
Russ

19th Mar 13 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Medium, same as chicken
3CorsaMeal

19th Mar 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuna.
Ben J

19th Mar 13 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hardly any restaurants will do blue steak in Uk these days due to h&S.
Ben J

19th Mar 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
When I was a bar/restaurant manager in a country pub, you'd often get people sending back a well done steak saying it wasn't done enough even though clearly it was and the chef's response was to batter the shit out of it with a meat hammer and deep fry it-it's surprising how many people then loved the steak even though it was beyond cremated!!

I've seen a pissed off Chef set a steak on fire, literally cremate it, and send it out. It was a really nice fillet steak and the customer wanted it well done It got sent back to kitchen twice as it "wasn't well done" so the chef set fire to it with a blow torch. Let it burn then plated it up and sent it out. Customer walked out. Chef didn't GAF.

Week later we got a letter of complaint. Ops Manager read it, asked Chef what had happened. Chef explained. Letter got filed in the bin.

[Edited on 19-03-2013 by Ben J]
mwg

19th Mar 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J

What does health and safety have to say about it?
Ben J

19th Mar 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J

What does health and safety have to say about it?

As in??????

Blue steak - higher risk of food poisoning or "claimed" food poisoning. Risk of prosecution/FSA/HSE investigations etc. If you ask for a steak "blue" in alot of restaurants they won't do it. Also maybe because they aren't confident in the quality of their steak too.

If a restaurant does do steak blue, then you can be confident its good quality steak.

Also, a restaurant can't claim to not be at fault if a customers makes a case for food poisoning after "choosing" blue steak. The customer might have asked for it blue, but its the restaurants responsibility to ensure that the food provided is fit and safe for consumption.

I could ask for my steak to be wiped round a urinal after cooking, but no restaurant would do it. Too much risk attached. For some places its the same with blue steak.

mwg

19th Mar 13 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in I was wondering the reasons for health and safety having something to say about it.

Both times I've had a bad steak has been in Spain. Dodgy horse meat probably.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Mar 13 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best one I saw Ben was a customer sending a meal back because the plate was too cold so the chef of the plate on a gas burner until the sauce was boiling and bubbling on the plate; I had to carry it out with two doubled over cloths and that customer never complained again
Ben J

19th Mar 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Health & Safety" as in HSE wouldn't have anything to say about it until a case is raised. Its up to the individual establishment if they want to take the risk. Advice from HSE would probably be not to serve blue, only rare. Hence why alot of places won't.
Ben J

19th Mar 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
The best one I saw Ben was a customer sending a meal back because the plate was too cold so the chef of the plate on a gas burner until the sauce was boiling and bubbling on the plate; I had to carry it out with two doubled over cloths and that customer never complained again

Seen that alot!!

People should learn, you don't fuck with the person preparing your food!

Genuine problem with something is fine, but when people take the piss......

Bart

19th Mar 13 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rare ribeye for me.
Its just too chewy if its any less than rare.
nathy_87

19th Mar 13 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would you say was a genuine problem then? Assuming you don't count the above as 'genuine problem'.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Steak 25 database queries in 0.0135429 seconds