corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the spot fines for hogging middle lane

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author On the spot fines for hogging middle lane
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jun 13 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb news, I was delighted when I heard.

See my recent rant in the PL about this.

Should have been put in place years ago.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if somebody wants to go only slightly faster than you, they have to sit in the outside lane, causing congestion, which can soon mount up..
Then you have people moaning about traffic
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Breaking the law to prove the point to someone who won't even care? Good one

It's not about proving a point, most aren't paying attention enough to notice, it's about getting past them without letting their shit driving affect you too much.

These fines will make very little difference. The police officers that understand the problem already pull people to tell them how to not to be shit, so a few of those may now get a fine but some will still just get a talking to and then there's all the police officers that don't understand the problem (I know this because I've witnessed many adding to it).
VegasPhil
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only issue this is going to create is loads more do gooders cutting in in front of you if you stay in the middle lane to pass a couple of cars a bigger distance apart.

These people will be more interested in flashing their lights/hazards, beeping the horn and and shouting out the window to get back in lane one, will lose concentration and crash.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best tell the Mrs not to use motorways, she's a shocking driver
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see it making a difference, and fairly sure the older generation will plead ignorance as they wasn't taught it in 1950
John

5th Jun 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did they not drive on the left hand side in 1952?
RichR
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but they didn't have motorways until 6 years later
Jambo

5th Jun 13 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic news!

Was only the other week I followed a woman in an X3 onto the M40. We where the only two cars for about 15miles.

Down the sliproad about 35mph, accelerates to 50, joins motorway with no cars on it, indicates andm oves over into the middle lane then speeds up to 80

John

5th Jun 13 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

They've had roads for a long time, and dual carriageways in the UK since at least 1925 (wikipedia), both of which have the same keep left rule.
Matt L

5th Jun 13 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
finally.

people who don't see a problem with sitting in the middle lane need to re-take their driving test.

the amount of times i see people come onto 3 lane roads and immediately indicate into the middle lane and sit there without traffic in the inside lane is unreal.

i usually just undertake them

Exactly this !

I am the same

quote:
On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences

surely if middle lane driver is sitting at 50/60 and you're not reckless and blatantly undertaking but meerling keeping to the speed limit and passing slower moving traffic you cant get done?

also minimum safe distance isnt vague at all, highway code says its a 2 second gap (in fair weather) which isnt vague or hard to obey unless your a complete retard.

I am looking forward to these changes and hope to god they enfore them properly, amount of people that cant use a roundabout/lanes properly is shocking, its not as though there aren't a million signs on the lead up to a roundabout telling you which lane to get in .

only thing they need to add on is people not using idicators
Daveskater
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
the motorways these days are always so full there is rarely an opportunity where it's sensible to move to lane 1 without having to pull out again immediately. Especially as when you do you can't get out again for ages due to congestion in the middle lane.
This is exactly the problem caused by people sitting in the middle lane when they shouldn't be. You get one guy barely catching up to a lorry half a mile ahead, then a few people queued behind them, so if you move to the inside lane you will get boxed in when you need to move out again as someone will take the space next to you and join the middle lane queue.

Been looking for something in the highway code and it says about not overtaking on the left, but also about not weaving in and out of lanes to overtake. I'd have said that going from lane 1 to 3 then back to 1 to overtake some idiot in the middle contravenes this, so I'll stick to continuing in my lane. If they're sat in the middle completely obliviously then the chance of them deciding to drive properly the exact moment that you're next to them is pretty slim.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Ian W

5th Jun 13 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't make any difference to how anyone drives IMO.

RichR
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

They've had roads for a long time, and dual carriageways in the UK since at least 1925 (wikipedia), both of which have the same keep left rule.

I was being pedantic for the sake of it-I agree with you
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm
Not saying it wasn't a rule then, I was suggesting it probably wast taught then/such a big deal at far less cars were about
John

5th Jun 13 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's back to common sense then, which older people should in theory have had longer get right.
Generation

5th Jun 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First bit I agree with, second I don't. Having longer to get something right, doesn't mean you should get it right. If they're oblivious to it, and it's never mentioned to them, they will carry on like they have for last 30 years
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look, keeping left wasnt in my driving test and im perfectly aware of it, so there isnt any excuse
Ad Blue B

5th Jun 13 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Look, keeping left wasnt in my driving test and im perfectly aware of it, so there isnt any excuse

Not everyone's an 'Elite Driver' like you though Steve...

This is great news, pisses me right off i do around 6-700 miles a week (virtually all motorway) and i see this all the time, undertook someone on the M55 last night as he was doing 60 in the middle lane, no one around and he beeped, flashed and called me a wanker as i did so.

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by Ad Blue B]
mattk

5th Jun 13 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only time I wander into the middle lane is if someone is behind me in the outside. I will sit at 100 all day if I can, nothing pisses me off when driving being stuck at 70 in the outside cause every tom dick and harry wants to overtake some twat in the middle lane.

Just need wagons to be banned from the middle lane at peak times and were laughing
JonnyJ

5th Jun 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing that does my head in more than middle lane drivers, is when a motorway spends about 10 years getting an extra lane put in and when the fucker is finally built, no cunt uses the inside most lane anymore and sits in the 2nd, basically turning the thing back into a 3 lane motorway again
Nath

5th Jun 13 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
The only thing that does my head in more than middle lane drivers, is when a motorway spends about 10 years getting an extra lane put in and when the fucker is finally built, no cunt uses the inside most lane anymore and sits in the 2nd, basically turning the thing back into a 3 lane motorway again

Yep. Happens on the newly widened stretch of the M1 by Luton. There are signs that say if the hard shoulder can be used as a 4th lane and people still ignore it.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ

M62 just past me towards Manc
JonnyJ

5th Jun 13 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, exactly those. Same as the bit of the M1 near Nottingham. Great idea made pointless by retards
Cavey

5th Jun 13 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 people will get fined in the first week then nothing else will happen.

Drives me crazy people who sit in the middle lane, depending on how annoyed/if family is with me I'll pull out to overtake then cut across into the first lane once comfortable to do so. Still never seems to make people realise

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the spot fines for hogging middle lane 23 database queries in 0.0146689 seconds