corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The new Ford Mustang.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The new Ford Mustang.
SVM 286

User status: Offline
7th Dec 13 at 04:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Yea thats what i mean...

Ahhh, I thought you meant they were ACTUALLY like Mondeos
SVM 286

7th Dec 13 at 05:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
Why would anyone want to run a v8 over here when the 2.3 is only 120bhp less?

Because it's a Mustang. And because it has 120 bhp less
It would totally change the character of the car as well... soundtrack, torque delivery etc. You won't be doing 2nd gear corners in 4th with a 4 cyl.

One doesn't purchase a Mustang to be frugal does one Ben.

Plus they're not usually the owner's commuter/shopping car.
SVM 286

7th Dec 13 at 05:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Some turbos arguably sound better

With the exception of the Pike's Peak Quattro, not usually.

Sometimes comparably good, but in a different way and for different reasons.
Ben G

7th Dec 13 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are prehistoric, svm

I admire that, but if you owned a car company, it'd go under very quickly.

The average joe in this country wants a mustang without the mustang running costs. I don't think thats a bad thing.
BenC1985

7th Dec 13 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Atleast someone agrees. To put it simply, the v8 will sell well and be alot more popular in the USA where fuel is cheap enough to run it,or in other countries where people have a decent wage to afford to run it. And the 2.3 will give people the chance to own a car they have probably dreamed of owning at a fraction of the cost.
SVM 286

7th Dec 13 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
You are prehistoric, svm

I admire that, but if you owned a car company, it'd go under very quickly.

The average joe in this country wants a mustang without the mustang running costs. I don't think thats a bad thing.

The average Joe in this country wouldn't know what a Mustang was if it bit them on the arse Ben. Lets be realistic here. Everyone drives around in leased, diesel Seats now.

I don't own a car company and am not likely to. But if I did, I wouldn't be trying to market sodding Mustangs in the UK though, so your point is void.

And do you honestly think that a product intended for North America is going to be flying out of UK showrooms with a little four cylinder engine under it's bonnet???

Don't be so bloody supercilious Ben. It's a niche car for the UK at best, so it's hardly going to be moving off of the showroom floor like Fiestas are likely to be is it.

Especially a castrated variant.
Daimo B

7th Dec 13 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats everyones beef, who cares, they have always been sh1te anyway.

Those with cash to burn on petrol and who don't want a drivers car, will buy the big V8.

Those who like cheap plastic interiors and like the name, will have a chance to buy it and realistically afford to run it.

Whats the big argument over here. Both options are catered for, end of story

Its the same reason all manufactures are downsizing. ST to 2.0, Audi S range dropping from 4.2 V8's to 3.0 V6 Supercharged, and Mercades will soon follow suite, replacing big cc NA engines for Turbo smaller cc's.

If you disagree with that, then stick in the n00ghties, as things will change, and engines WILL get smaller as power/torque/emissions are improved with smaller cc engines. Its a fact, accept it, or don't
SVM 286

7th Dec 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That wasn't the point I was making Daimo.

I'm saying why even bother trying to market the Mustang over here? Especially if it's not a Mustang in the true sense.

There seems little to no point to me, to market a hairy chested V8 car to a country that apparently can no longer afford petrol.

There are salient reasons that the Mustang was never sold in the UK. And surely these reasons must stand up, more so than ever now???

And to Anglicize the car to this sort of extent seems to me to be a waste of money and an exercise in futility.

Unless of course the car is deliberately being put in place as some kind of loss leader.

Either way it seems like a very odd choice for a company that is usually quite financially astute.
corsajay88

7th Dec 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriends dad has got a 66 mustang. Nothing beats the noise and feel of the car. It's a muscle car made for 1/4 miles. This is a Mondeo with a body kit
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 3.7l V6 isn't economical I averaged 10mpg over 7 days in Florida! Make most of cheap fuel!

In US you would always have the V8, over here a 4 pot would be good for sales.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
baza31

7th Dec 13 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It takes too much of the fun of owning a car when your constantly in the petrol station . No need for huge engines anymore when the smaller engines produce ample power . I would go for the smaller engine every time .
Ben G

7th Dec 13 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap plastic interiors going a bit top gear there daimo.

The interior plastics will be the same as they are on every other new ford model, which is fine.
Ben G

7th Dec 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
The 3.7l V6 isn't economical I averaged 10mpg over 7 days in Florida! Make most of cheap fuel!

In US you would always have the V8, over here a 4 pot would be good for sales.

The v6 is an updated engine and not available to buy in the showrooms over here iirc.
Daimo B

8th Dec 13 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
That wasn't the point I was making Daimo.

I'm saying why even bother trying to market the Mustang over here? Especially if it's not a Mustang in the true sense.

There seems little to no point to me, to market a hairy chested V8 car to a country that apparently can no longer afford petrol.

There are salient reasons that the Mustang was never sold in the UK. And surely these reasons must stand up, more so than ever now???

And to Anglicize the car to this sort of extent seems to me to be a waste of money and an exercise in futility.

Unless of course the car is deliberately being put in place as some kind of loss leader.

Either way it seems like a very odd choice for a company that is usually quite financially astute.

Totally get where your coming from, really its needs a new name, a new image as the older generation V8's slowly get phased out. A lot of Americans are switching from big V8's to smaller cars. I've noticed the difference from my trips there.

Fuel isn't as cheap as everyone thinks, they basically pay per gallon in $$ what we pay in £ for a litre. So much cheaper than here, its just were stupidly overpriced. I know UAE countries are paying like 12p per litre/gallon, so big V8's are fine there I get what your saying though, a cult classic car know for V8 engines, and putting a diddy 4 pot defeats the point of the car from a historic point of view,

But, it'll open up a market for those that want a car like that, and can now afford to run it. However, I can't see this car breaking 3 figure sales in the UK.

Ben, fair enough if you feel Ford plastics are ok for you. I personally, can't the quality of it, and the American version of Ford is always far far worse I don't watch Top Gear so don't know what your on about I'm afraid.

Someone mentioned the V6, I had the displeasure of running a Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 for a while. My word, what an utterly awful engine, gutless, wheezy, drunk shed loads under throttle, flat, boring. In fact, nothing I liked about it. 150bhp from 3.5 litres and a V6.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 13 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think its a fairly wise move putting a 4 pot in it.

Its got all the emotion of Vauxhall bringing a Monaro over here - probably moreso given that the Mustang is very well recognised compared to that - but with the mass appeal of a sensible engine choice.

I think its complete sacrilege, and there's no possible way it'll sound as nice, or drive as nice. But from a marketing point of view, smart move Ford.

Not like they're not making the V8 available. It'll still sell and it'll still get beaten by E Class diesels but that's not the point.
Daimo B

8th Dec 13 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh but the Monaro was only appealing because of the big V8 engine. I couldn't see it being so grand and bonkers if they put a 300bhp 2.0 Turbo from the Astra in it. They sound like a cat hissing, and you expect the V8 noise.

UK - Engines get smaller
Australia - More manufactures get into big V8 barges. Thankfully (see V8 Supercar racing).

Its boring, sensible, fuel effective, cost effective, and the way all manufactures will go, but it is boring, and the starts the death of the big V8 engines.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 13 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see that the Mustang has some appeal in addition to the engine, moreso than the Monaro did.

I also think if people see the Mustang only has a 2.3, they'll be more willing to buy a 1 litre Focus.

Like I say, good plan. I just could never bring myself to be so damn sensible. If you're having a car like that, do it properly.
SVM 286

8th Dec 13 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised they're not marketing it as a Capri over here.

Especially if there's going to be an ecoboost V6. That would seem to be the perfect compromise, plus i'd have thought that would sell.
Daimo B

8th Dec 13 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian makes a good point about it, more the sense to push people to downsize engines in more mainstream cars. Why need a 1.6 NA, when you can have a 1.0 turbo that produces more power/torque. Its the mental aspect to push on people.

SVM, see there your onto a winner. Take said Mustang, re-name it to a Capri in the UK, it would have more appeal I think
SVM 286

8th Dec 13 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's deffo been a massive hole in Ford UK's line-up since about 1987.
Anty
Premium Member

8th Dec 13 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow

that looks Lush !! shame ill never own one, unless its 1:18th scale
taylorboosh

8th Dec 13 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like how people think a 300bhp petrol turbo will be fuel efficient... Get a grip
SVM 286

8th Dec 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's actually a good point. My turbo car is not too far south of that figure. It's only a 1.6 and it returns about 15mpg at best when used energetically.

It will do roughly 27mpg when off boost, but it's usually only off boost when the keys are in my pocket.
taylorboosh

8th Dec 13 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt matter how i use the evo, its still crap
mwg

9th Dec 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
May as well put a fucking diesel in there!

Why not?

A 3.0 turbo diesel in that would be very nice

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The new Ford Mustang. 23 database queries in 0.0178621 seconds