corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Feb 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and don't expect skiing/boarding gear to last as long as you would expect for the price. My £70 Burton gloves have done well at 6 seasons but when you think that at most that's 12 weeks of use, the fact they now have fallen to bits is a bit sore.
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

merci beauc
RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, buy decent socks. I have ThirtyTwo and Salomon; the former being the better - aim to get boarding socks rather than skiing as the padding and reinforcement is in different areas for the different boot types.
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone was recommending Smartwool... think they are a TNF sub-brand?

but will check out what you mentioned, cheers!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smartwool are nice and toastie, but es spend money, the cheap things are cheap for a rason, i wear a fresh pair every day but some guys wear one pair all week
i have a pair of scott gloves which are very good, also get liners as lee said

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Stu

26th Feb 14 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smart wools are good, can get away wearing them two days in a row in all honesty.

Im all for wrist guards too, broke my wrist 3 times now and every time I had wrist guards on. Breaks were classed as "irregularities" on the X-ray which is barely a break and just 4 weeks in a cast. Fell off a rail just a few weeks ago in resort and I got the burn sensation you get with a hyper extension again then, guarantee that would have been a break without my guards.
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers chaps. Are liners like a sperate thin glove or should they come with the normal gloves?
RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are a separate, thinner glove that you put on first with your main glove over the top. You can buy them separately but they tend to come as a pack.
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, any examples of the padded cyclign shorts you mentioned?
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/S/IMPACT_SHORTS_Crash_Pants_Bum_Pads_Padded_SNOWBOARD_PROTECTION-(303).aspx?ViewType=GridView

?
RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 14 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my missus the 'Dainese ACTION SHORT EVO Men's Impact Shorts, Black and White' ones as they had the best level of protection, especially for the coccyx.

[Edited on 26-02-2014 by LiVe LeE]
Robbo

26th Feb 14 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks (again!!!)
CorsAsh

26th Feb 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are the gloves I have:

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Level_FLY_GLOVE_SkiSnowboard_Gloves_S_7_Black-%2864813%29

They have a pivoting wrist protector which conforms to your palm, round your wrist and thumb, instead of a hard lump of straight plastic which can do more harm than good as Rich says.

I have one of these too:

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/742724/products/dainese_manis_2014_ski_and_board_back_protector.aspx

Not just for if I fall awkwardly, but also in case someone smashes into me when I'm getting up or something... better than having the tip of a ski in your spine.

I also had some cheapo skating knee protectors when I started, they made life more comfortable.

Regards the other stuff, I've a Giro helmet, Electric goggles, Millet jacket (which I love), Schoffel ski pants (crappy) and Odlo thermals.
Rob_Quads

26th Feb 14 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Level_FLY_GLOVE_SkiSnowboard_Gloves_S_7_Black-%2864813%29

They have a pivoting wrist protector which conforms to your palm, round your wrist and thumb, instead of a hard lump of straight plastic which can do more harm than good as Rich says..

+1 I have these and they have been awesome. Two others in our group also have them and both myself and best mate had the older version before that.

[Edited on 26-02-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Stu

26th Feb 14 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh

They have a pivoting wrist protector which conforms to your palm, round your wrist and thumb, instead of a hard lump of straight plastic which can do more harm than good as Rich says.

+1 From me too, I use the mitt version of these as my holiday glove, bit warm to use in the dome. Biomex are def the best wrist guards, shame they arent used more!
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys... think you may have helped make my mind up! thinking mitts now as i get the msot absurdly cold hands! on those level ones, do they have a built in liner? seems so, therefore assume you dont need to buy a seperate liner also?
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still get separate liners; they make the world of difference when you get cold. Mittens are great though compared to gloves, a mate got ones which still have a forefinger and thumb and then your remaining three fingers are in a mitten - a kind of hybrid of mittens and gloves. Having your forefinger separate helps with undoing bindings or using tools with your gloves on.
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having liners also makes it handy to use phones/cameras; just take your main glove off but still have a thin one on underneath if your prone to getting cold hands.
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can never do anything with big gloves on anyway
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK... just booked my beginners day course at Hemel and bought those level gloves, the Dainese padded shorts that Rich recommended, some Dainese knee protectors as I have quite weak knees and then got some nike pants and a jacket in the sales... see what they are like when they come. Just need socks and glove liners now... easy way to spend £620

Desperately wish I needed goggles too so I could get these http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dragon/apx-watercolour-1314-goggles/767301

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by Robbo]
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my missus Dragon Goggles and I'm really impressed with them but I'd recommend not buying your goggles until you buy your helmet to make sure they physically fit together.
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would have intended to rent a helmet on holiday tbh... would it be better to get own in long run?
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obviously not now...
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id rather have my own helmet than a rental that's been used as a football. In all seriousness, if you've gone to the expense of buying all the other safety gear, why not buy your own helmet which is the one thing that everybody here is in agreement that you need.
Robbo

27th Feb 14 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah fair one i guess! will add that to the thermals and goggles gear for when the time comes to actually get on the slopes!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 23 database queries in 0.0236549 seconds