corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  31    32    33    34    35    36    37  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 13 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
External reservoir dampers

Like on a clio trophy

I prefer to tell people "like a touring car" but Clio Trophy works too

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
GB123
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely sounds cooler
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having little droop is bad.. not good.

when you go over a bump you don't want the wheel to be leaving the ground because it doesn't have enough droop.. the suspension should always a decent amount of droop so the wheel can stay in contact with the road.

Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My comment was just explaining that the droop amount almost matched my previous loaded ride height. There's still a good inch or two difference between loaded and unloaded now. Compare the bottom picture with the third from bottom.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, but you are not going to keep that ride height are you? going from your above comments you are planning on raising your car a little. the more you raise it, the less droop you will get and little amounts of droop can be bad..

Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to get my head around how raising the height will impact the droop. I'm not saying you're wrong but I just can't figure it out

I've got two things I can adjust on the actual shock body, spring preload and ride height. I have a guide somewhere on the preload setup, maybe the previous owner had the preload cranked up a bit which would reduce droop so maybe room to improve there.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

10th Aug 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks cracking now! I certainly approve of the ride height
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you jack your car up on axle stands the wheels droop lets say 100mm from arch to top of tyre..

if you put the car on the ground and the gap is 10mm from arch to tyre, you have 90mm droop

if you raise the car up and you are now running 50mm from arch to tyre then you only have 50mm of droop.

[Edited on 10-08-2013 by chris_uk]
Nic Barnes

10th Aug 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl at cat-devo comment
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
if you jack your car up on axle stands the wheels droop lets say 100mm from arch to top of tyre..

if you put the car on the ground and the gap is 10mm from arch to tyre, you have 90mm droop

if you raise the car up and you are now running 50mm from arch to tyre then you only have 50mm of droop.

[Edited on 10-08-2013 by chris_uk]

I thought that the droop was purely the difference between the preloaded spring length and the spring length whilst under the weight of the car? The coilovers have got a locking ring thingy which acts as the lower spring seat, when that's wound up - the spring "preloaded" position becomes shorter meaning that the difference between preloaded and car loaded is smaller, hence smaller droop. If the locking ring is wound down towards the base of the coilover, the spring length is extended hence the difference between the preload and carload is greater... meaning more droop.

The spring preload doesn't change when I alter the ride height, so not sure why the droop would?

Interestingly, whilst having my dinner the seller PM'd me on Scoobynet. I'd PM'd him earlier in the day out of courtesy to say the suspension was on and first impressions were good:

quote:
Originally posted by Previous Owner
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Installed without issues, first impressions are very good

Need to sort alignment out once I've fitted roll centre adjust kit. I've stuck with your ride height initially but think I'll raise it a touch before settling into it.

excellent get the rides and preloads done properly as it was adjusted for oulton park drift circuit . so will be miles out for track ...

you need to get the ride 350mm from centre of hub/wheel to the wing. and rear same to 345mm
perfect height so everthing undercar is sat right and works as it should

So without any prompting from myself, he's already suggested that the preload needs changing and also backs me up with my theory of 35cm being about the right ride height for these cars To be fair though, the roll centre kit would allow me to go as low as I am now without compromise.

I did a quick Google and found a YouTube video of a BC rep changing a spring and setting the preload. He wound the locking ring to the bottom so the spring was loose, then tightened up 4mm. Said that's the right preload for the "street" so I guess a good place for me to start.

[Edited on 10-08-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

droop is the difference between the shock being fully compressed and uncompressed.

so if you raise your car the piston is going to be pushed out of the tube, so if it sits at 50/50 (in/out) it has 50% travel left before its fully uncompressed (rebound) and 50% before its compressed (bump).

lets for arguments sake say that your car as it is now is 50/50 but its too low and you want to take the car up, the higher you wind the spring collar the more the piston is going to be uncompressed (the spring pushed the piston out of its tube) so if you raise the car up your available droop gets less.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I'm understanding your posts correctly, you're assuming that rideheight is adjusted by simply compressing (lower) or uncompressing (higher) the spring using the preload adjustment?

The spring preload and damper travel is not impacted by the ride height on these coilovers.

The locking collar(s) under the spring impact the preload as you've described, but the ride height is changed by loosening the bottom locking ring and winding the actual damper/spring assembly into or out of the base which connects to the hub. That way damping, travel, rebound and droop is all maintained across different ride heights.

This video demonstrates it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiiId9lsgno

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you adjust height when on the car
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same way as in the video, spin the threaded portion of the coilover into the base. The base is stationary because it's attached to the hub, but the rest of it is all connected to the topmount in a pillowball mount thingy which allows it to spin.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, i got ya..

i was assuming it was the same as my coilovers.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Aug 13 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Up bright and early to finish the suspension off in preparation for alignment.

My targets for the day, trackrod ends and lower balljoints:

Both items were held on with those castle nut things and a locking pin. The pins were a nightmare to get out as they'd pretty much rusted into place. After much swearing I ended up sheering off the pins either side of the nut and then rattle gunned them off. This disintegrated the rest of the pin and the nut came off easy

Once the nut was off the trackrod end, getting it out of the hub was another story. I had bought a balljoint seperator (one of those fork thingies) but it was hopeless. Did a bit of googling on the phone and read I should just batter the fuck out of the hub to shock the bolt out. Sceptical, I went to work and within seconds it just fell out

You can imagine the majority of the damage was from my balljoint seperator, but the boot was still leaking grease before I even started work so clearly ready for replacement anyway.

Next onto the balljoint, the castlenut came off much quicker with my new trick and once the ARB droplink was detatched the control-arm was lowered down and away from the balljoint. The balljoint was held upside-down in the hub in a cup type thing, with a 14mm bolt pinching it in place.

The bolt rattlegunned out no worries, but getting the balljoint out of it's cup was a bit more difficult. I ended up threading on the castlenut again, getting a big old flathead screwdriver and resting it on the nut - then braying the crap out of it with a hammer again.

It inched out, but finally got it separated:

The black cone needed transferring from old to new.

Pieced the passenger side back together pretty quickly, with no real care spent on lining the tracking up for fairly obvious reasons.

Driver side was a pretty drama-less repeat other than the cat escaping the house half way through. Pussy under control, driver side put back together:

I had a little tinker with the ride height too, raised it a couple of millimeters

Had to go out and run some errands after lunch, but got home a couple of hours ago and treated it to a wash after a weekend of hammers and grease.

No clunks/knocks etc, so I reckon I'm all ready for alignment. Hopefully can get it sorted on a weeknight this week.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

11th Aug 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking lovely
BeetleGav

11th Aug 13 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks so perfect now. I want it. Swap me
M Sutton

12th Aug 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely!! Perfect ride hight
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Aug 13 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, appreciate the feedback.

Pushed a little bit on a roundabout this morning in the dry and it understeered all the way round

I'm sure alignment will sort it, so bring it on!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 00:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what front tyres do you have on the front ? they look the wrong way round.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 05:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, Vredesteins - every project thread on the internet involving those tyres has a comment like that

They're right.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

13th Aug 13 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

taylorboosh

13th Aug 13 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the evo comment... But i can deffo see rust on that pic
Ben G

13th Aug 13 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generic vredestein ultrac sessanta comment

<<  31    32    33    34    35    36    37  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0327511 seconds