corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  35    36    37    38    39    40    41  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Sep 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As if by magic another opportunity for the same wheels but with R888's on instead... for £200 but need to pay for courier from Essex.

Awaiting info on the condition/tyre treads before commiting to anything.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dan_m1les

12th Sep 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me know what sort of rates you get on the wheels and the weights etc and i can have a look at prices through work if required for courriers
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Sep 13 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dan

Unfortunately it seems somebody let the guy know that his tyres were probably worth double that alone

He's going to list them for a week in the classifieds and then sell them to me for our agreed price if nobody moves on them...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dan_m1les

12th Sep 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries! Why do people have to ruin these prices for others!
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a bit of backtracking on a modification yesterday when I got home.

I mentioned some weeks ago about uprating my gear-linkage bushings. The change was massive in terms of making the gear shift positive and more "clunky" than "sloppy" but the negatives were that I'd basically turned my gearstick into a stethoscope

I had a whine at speed which was loudest (annoyingly) at motorway cruise speeds and at slow speeds I had an off throttle grumble/grinding sound which I was getting sick of explaining to people

I decided to move through the linkage slowly, swapping out the bushings one at a time until the sound got more bearable.

The bushing I swapped back to stock was the one marked yellow for two reasons... first it was the easiest to access/change (except the one in the cabin - orange) and the second reason is that it bolted directly to the gearbox and was simply a "stay" bushing so I reckon it was the biggest offender of the noise transmission.

Swapping it was easier than expected, I was prepared to drill/cut it out since it was solid nylon but I got away with battering it out with a hammer/screwdriver meaning I can always refit if this made naff-all difference.

OEM vs Nylon:

Lubed up the old one and stuck it back in, car back together and test drive time.

It hasn't been an on/off change - the noises are still present but are a fair bit quieter.

The gear-change is still much crisper than original bushings, but does have a noticeable amount of "sponge" in the feel of it compared to before.

The whine is audible when giving it some beans, but it's well hidden by exhaust/engine noise. Critically it's pretty much gone at motorway cruising speeds

The off throttle grumble at slow speeds is now only really audible in 1st gear, previously it was present in 2nd and 3rd too. I rarely/never coast in first gear... so pretty much a winner!

If I ever had to remove the linkage again for another reason, I may consider replacing the remaining bushings to OEM just to completely kill the noises but I think I've got a good trade-off as it is now.

While the car was on stands, I had a quick inspect of my front-drivers wheel arch/roll bar/suspension setup and nipped up all bolts. I've got an occasional clunk in this corner which can be felt in as well as heard in the cockpit. It only happens when applying full lock (or nearly full lock) but everything seems alright so I'm thniking I've killed my CV joint when I split the boot and drove it for a day or two whilst spewing grease...

Eyes out for a new driveshaft, probably 50-60quid for a second hand one which will make the total repair cost for my CV boot split almost £150...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love transmission whine lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was the drive to silverstone and back which prompted me to change the bushings, I'm all for a bit of noise while I'm hooning around but cruising at 70 for two hours is just damn irritating!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle, one of the lads has dropped out of donny.. Do you want the space?

[Edited on 14-09-2013 by chris_uk]
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What date was it?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

27th sept
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Friday? That's my oncall weekend tbh so even if it was the sat/sun it'll be a struggle for me at this short notice

I'll see if I can blag a swap tomorrow, but I doubt it's a go-er for me I'm afraid. Thanks anyway Chris.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries mate, i will let him know.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
As if by magic another opportunity for the same wheels but with R888's on instead... for £200 but need to pay for courier from Essex.

Awaiting info on the condition/tyre treads before commiting to anything.

Alright looks like this might be coming off. He listed the wheels and tyres in the classifieds for £350 but he PM'd me this morning as he really needs rid, so they're mine for £200 plus postage... (£30 Paisley Freight seems reasonable).

Seen the pictures, tyres have 3-4mm of tread and the wheels seem dirty but straight... or round should I say

Standard colour, so don't need to rush out for a refurb.

I'm not sure what the wear rate or wear cycle is like on a set of R888s but I'm assuming that I'll get at least a couple of open pit lane days out of them, even if they dip below road legal tread? I'd drive to the track with my daily wheels so I'm not concerned about completely scrubbing the R888s on track and additionally if it chucks it down my daily tyres would probably be better for the track based on what I've read about R888s and standing water

Is it the done thing to take an extra set of wheels to an open pit day, I guess it will be safe to leave my wheels and a load of tools lying around whilst I'm on track?

If the tyres really are past their best, I'll at least have a set of 17's which will be cheaper to wrap up in my next set of trackday tyres compared to the Prodrive 18's currently on the car!

Additionally, if these Lorraine Kelly brake pads are as dusty as I've heard - it'll keep my daily wheels clean as they rarely experience heavy braking on the road

Thoughts? Good Move?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wear looks ok tbh mate..

i stop using them when they get this low

Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does their grip scale with tread depth? Obviously tread is invaluable for clearing standing water but on a totally dry track the rubber compound is doing all of the gripping right?

Do the tyres grip well and consistent up to a certain point and then suddenly just drop off, or is it a linear scale with how much rubber is left on the tyre?

I guess what I'm asking is, am I going to put these tyres on and be underwhelmed as they're about "half done" or will they be still really grippy just for less mileage than a new set?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they start to go hard when they have had many heat cycles through them, tbh, they are probably going to be perfectly fine.

the grip is very linear, they dont suddenly just let go..
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good to me. I'll get it arranged.

They'll be living in Grandads' garage until I get this damn house sold and moved but I'll make sure I go inspect them and clean them up when they arrive.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put them on and go for a drive.. you will find it hard to want to put your old tyres on lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can imagine!

Seriously need to stop spending money now, so hopefully these wheels/tyres will last a fair chunk into next year (realisticaly this Cadwell day is going to be my last chance for track action this year... and if it's wet the R888's will probably stay off the car anyway ) but the car is feeing pretty sorted for a spring/summer of track days.

Got a few final touches such as tow strap/eye and fire extinguisher(s) but I really need to stop the spending at that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

15th Sep 13 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does every one who tries a track day go mental and start making it their main priority?
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say I've gone mental, and it's not my main priority hence getting hold of wheels/tyres which can be removed when I'm not doing a trackday and I've not ripped all my interior out yet

It's a road car which will do track time, not a track car that I drive to work

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

15th Sep 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awaits blue and white stickers up the side
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dream on

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 13 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ugh, missus offered to drive home from her parents tonight.

You know what that means...

Drivers front...

Drivers rear...

I'm an angry bastard

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

15th Sep 13 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id bray her tbh

<<  35    36    37    38    39    40    41  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0255051 seconds