corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Frightening

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Frightening
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Mar 08 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The aircraft appears from the crab angle to be attempting to land outside it's (and the pilots) crosswind limit. The near disaster shows that the decision to attempt an approach in such conditions was a very bad one. I suspect that rather than being praised for their actions, the pilots will most likely be grounded for a period of retraining at the very least.

oh look another person who seems to have picked the word crab out of thin air like myself, oh and another..

quote:
Mike, you don't seem understand that the pilots put them selves under these condition in the first place, they are no heroes but lacking in safety, they could have killed everyone!
The approach was unstable and they should have gone around. Looking at the angle of the aircraft crabbing the crosswind in my opinion was outside the limits of the aircraft and the crew. The thing which gets me is that the pilots knew what the wind was doing from the Tower Controller (in my opinion out of limits) and should have chosen the other runway for landing which was more into wind or diverted else where, where wind was calmer.
I fly the Airbus and it is very worrying that Lufthansa pilots even attempted this landing and I would be concerned about the pilot's them selves, the training department and even Lufthansa management if it is them who pressured the crew to leave Munich for Hamburg in the first place.

Regards,

RyanSxi

4th Mar 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone could have written that

"As i am a pilot....."
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AND ANOTHER OMG

quote:
No kudos for these German pilots... please. This was a case of pilot error that nearly resulted in a disaster. From the time the video starts, the aircraft is already shown to be flying at a high crab angle indicating that severe crosswind conditions were present and known to the flight crew well before they even got low over the runway threshold. The real "professional manoeuvre" would have been to abort the landing much earlier at a safer altitude, go around, and request an approach heading into the intersecting runway at Hamburg more aligned into the wind. The pilots were behaving like cowboys to have even attempted landing under these conditions.

and thats just one article

[Edited on 04-03-2008 by Steve]
Nick-S

4th Mar 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but u dont no how much fule is on bored, there mite not have bin enough for a diversion, u just dont no

when i wached the vid i saw him yawing in, the he aplyes some left rudder to srtighten up just before touch down then it looks as if it is hit by a gust of wind, when then he aplyes full power for a go around, i still think he did very well
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This landing should never have been attempted. The crosswinds on that runway were known to be at limit, the pilot should have requested the alternate runway and, if refused by ATC requested Frankfurt as alternate. First landing attempt was made on RWY23, second landing successful on more favourable RWY33. Flying by the seat of your pants on Commercial is never acceptable. Know your aircraft and it's capabilities, and if in doubt divert.

[Edited on 04-03-2008 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
but u dont no how much fule is on bored, there mite not have bin enough for a diversion, u just dont no

when i wached the vid i saw him yawing in, the he aplyes some left rudder to srtighten up just before touch down then it looks as if it is hit by a gust of wind, when then he aplyes full power for a go around, i still think he did very well

even there was not enough for a diversion there was enough for an earlier go around at an intersecting runway, like the other comments suggest
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres daimo with his patter of abuse
Nick-S

4th Mar 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there for that is airtraffic controls misstake for alowing him to atempt a landing on a runway with such a servire cross wind

[Edited on 04-03-2008 by GSi_16v]
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another (spanish) pilot

quote:
My view is somehow different from the official position:
1. The pilot shouldn't have tried to land with such wind conditions. He had enough fuel, so should have asked for a headwind runway, at wherever airport. He did put the whole passage at risk
2. The manoeuvre of approach and touch looks fine, but not so much the correction right after touching with the left gear; it seems like the correction was overdosed, prompting the airplane to bear unbalanced side winds. At least, the correction manoeuvre should have been essayed before touching, while finally landing only if sure of a balanced manoeuvre
3. The pilot was right, and lucky, at aborting the landing

So, to me, being a pilot, the question remains: why the pilot tried to land under such conditions? it's clear, from a risk perspective, that he should haven't done so.
Nick-S

4th Mar 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your right, sack him, hes shit, job done

Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes im going to send an email
Nick-S

4th Mar 08 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your cool

Shelly
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
i've landed a plane on fire

in grand theft auto tbh though

Daimo B

4th Mar 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
wheres daimo with his patter of abuse

Been to Boots.

Yes you have copied and pasted about the parts whether it is right or wrong.

Don't know if anyones questioned that.

WE're all taking the p1ss out of you for saying you could do it. When all those pilots comments state how well the pilots have done to save the plan and passangers during landing.

Still, you carry on.
Shelly
Premium Member

4th Mar 08 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, what have I started here...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Frightening 22 database queries in 0.0168581 seconds