corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whats your age, job and aims in regards to earning a living?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats your age, job and aims in regards to earning a living?
SAL
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Aug 08 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once i have matured i will start my own buisness and smash the gardeneing sector around my way

want to do this in the next two year's and make at least 80-100k per year
stubbsy05

6th Aug 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
21 - Started doing IT Tech Support about 3 years ago for ~£15k, 12 months ago I got a job in the same company for a slightly more advanced IT role, working with development testing software and tailoring our services to clients needs and providing product support where I can.

Think my career path in this company has just about peaked, don't plan on staying in IT for long - but I can see myself getting stuck here

What do you plan to do instead of IT?
deano87

6th Aug 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs

once i have matured i will start my own buisness and smash the gardeneing sector around my way

£80k-£100k gardening? Is that possible? (I'm not being ignorant, just have not idea how much money there is to be made?). I take it that is big contracts like business premises, schools and such, and not just domestic?
BYRON

6th Aug 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
What does that entail byron mate?

Alot, although basically driving & evaluating cars, going on launch events and then deciding on an appropriate future value and service cost for the vehicle life.

Current used car market makes my job that little bit more fun at the minute
John

6th Aug 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you could go out and make 80k a year gardening without having a massive company everybody would be doing it.
SAL
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:
Originally posted by Stavs

£80k-£100k gardening? Is that possible? (I'm not being ignorant, just have not idea how much money there is to be made?). I take it that is big contracts like business premises, schools and such, and not just domestic?

yes and no, start with big domestic houses with big ground's, the slip in to the high class contract's
SAL
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you could go out and make 80k a year gardening without having a massive company everybody would be doing it.

iv made nearly 35k this year taking it easy mate, that just being at work and doing a few extra job's
nova_gteuk

6th Aug 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a guy in swansea who makes £50k a year looking after the grounds at catherine zeta jones parents house in mumbles swansea
myke

6th Aug 08 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Senior Engineer (with no formal qualifications) for a small company that does site testing and thermal calculations.
I mostly do energy rating calculations for windows, but occasionally get to do air tightness testing or acoustic testing on new builds.

Aspiration wise, short term i'd just liek to be out of the office more and out on the road, but i really want to be a tree surgeon. Not entirely sure of how to get into it or whether i'd need any arborist qualifications.
The reason i haven't pursued that is that i know i'd be taking a massive pay cut to start fresh in a completely different industry, and just can't afford that at the moment.
Ellis

6th Aug 08 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
i fancy a change to some form of engineering... structural / design etc
Aberdeen is place to be for that...
SAL
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get paid more for the secrecy right's than the work A girl at colledege was on 50k + working for the beckam's essex estate
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex.S
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
21 - Started doing IT Tech Support about 3 years ago for ~£15k, 12 months ago I got a job in the same company for a slightly more advanced IT role, working with development testing software and tailoring our services to clients needs and providing product support where I can.

Think my career path in this company has just about peaked, don't plan on staying in IT for long - but I can see myself getting stuck here

What do you plan to do instead of IT?

Honestly? No idea!

I got into IT because I was a computer know-it-all and it kinda interested me as a hobby. Hate it as an industry though and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a day at work.

I'd love a job/career that I enjoy regardless of salary (providing I can afford to live) - but i've no idea what i'd enjoy as a job

For now I can afford my car, pay the mortgage and go out occasionally - so comfortable I suppose

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deano87

6th Aug 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, this isn't a dig at anyone.

I personally find it interesting how people are doing one job, but want a completely different career path. I guess it's because of the lack of opportunities or something when at school? Or lack of focus etc? I've gone to Uni so I can pursue a career I want to be in, which will hopefully stop me wanting to do anything else and lose earnings etc.
Andrew

6th Aug 08 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

network engineer
John

6th Aug 08 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you think you want to do just now, even if you've wanted to since you were 12, doesn't mean you'll still want to do that come the time you're 22.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Aug 08 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Again, this isn't a dig at anyone.

I personally find it interesting how people are doing one job, but want a completely different career path. I guess it's because of the lack of opportunities or something when at school? Or lack of focus etc? I've gone to Uni so I can pursue a career I want to be in, which will hopefully stop me wanting to do anything else and lose earnings etc.

I got offered my tech support job the same week I got accepted to university to do Geography/Environmental Science.

I took the 15k job because my dad had kicked me out and I was living with grandparents - needed money fast and didn't think I'd get much support from family if I went to uni.

Regret it now, but my friends have all graduated this year - and most of them are scrapping for McDonalds job to pay for their summer.

I've got an apartment, car paid off and no debt besides mortgage - just hate my job

[Edited on 06-08-2008 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deano87

6th Aug 08 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What you think you want to do just now, even if you've wanted to since you were 12, doesn't mean you'll still want to do that come the time you're 22.

I'll be 22 in 1 year, so I'm sure I'll be enjoying it.

But yes, I know what you mean about changing career paths, but a lot of people are still relatively young on here.

meh, I must be having a bad day.
John

6th Aug 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm only 23 and my perspective has changed quite a bit.
Doug

6th Aug 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just finished Computing Degree at uni

Trying to get into the Police in the Hi-Tech Crime sector.

Currently working as a bar manager till I get a proper job
Fad

6th Aug 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You do know Gardening spans into tree surgery, ground drainage works and landscaping? We pay our garderners shit loads for looking after small bits of communal gardens. Its all about getting regular contracted work
John

6th Aug 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't saying it's not possible, there's a lot of money to be made everywhere, I was just saying everybody would be doing it, there must be a reason not all gardners are out on 100k.
dave..GSi

6th Aug 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasterer
AIM- To start my own buisness work for myself for a few years then when i get bigger contracts employ people to work for me and watch the money come in? simple.
Shrek

6th Aug 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Until recently worked for Vaux main dealer as a Technician, the money in the motor trade is terrible so left there and now currently work for Autodata authoring/editing there books/software. The motor trade cannot offer you alot unless you wanna try and make it on your own so concidering a career change thats gonna gimme a basic 40k pa. Any ideas??
deano87

6th Aug 08 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave..GSi
Plasterer
AIM- To start my own buisness work for myself for a few years then when i get bigger contracts employ people to work for me and watch the money come in? simple.

You'd think. My dad has been in the building game with his own sub-contracting firm for over 20 years. They are struggling massively at the moment due to the housing market.
dave..GSi

6th Aug 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dave..GSi
Plasterer

You'd think. My dad has been in the building game with his own sub-contracting firm for over 20 years. They are struggling massively at the moment due to the housing market.

yeah i know the score just now mate but it aint going to stay like that! am on about when i start a buisness and get it up and running where am from we have plenty of work to keep us going for months and jobs coming in every week?

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whats your age, job and aims in regards to earning a living? 23 database queries in 0.0231550 seconds