corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Annoying things people say (credit crunch)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Annoying things people say (credit crunch)
corsa - gus

User status: Offline
20th Jan 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if you are failing to realise we are in recession you are incredibly silly, however the whole situation is being blown out of proportion by the media.

For those who believe the government won't stop spending you should think again, I am working on a pfi schools project. We are currently under construction on the first phase of works, my job will run the longest and won't be completed for another 18 months, in which time hopefully the market will pick up. However the second phase of new builds has been postponed, it was due to run in consecutively with the current builds.

Now this will create a massive problem in our area, we have no other work won and there are no large scale projects that are coming out for tender any time soon.

On another note, I have been trying to get a second mortgage and have been finding it difficult to do so. I currently own a property on a buy to let basis and make decent profits from it monthly. However the banks aren't keen to give me another mortgage. Even without the income from my tenants I would be able to easily cover both mortgages with my monthly wage. But as has already been said everybody is tightening the purse strings. Banks don't want to lend money, people want to sell their houses. It results in a viscous circle imo.
corsa - gus

20th Jan 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
I love it, its quiet in work and somone askes me, ohh is it this quiet becuase of the credit crunch..Im like, well possibly, or because there is a shit load of snow outside and gale force winds.

I went for a hair cut at the weekend and said jokingly "Its quiet in here, must be the credit crunch" to which the hairdresser replied " Yeh, we are closing at the end of the month because we are getting hardly any custom at the moment" I felt like a right twat
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 09 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Its affected the hotel industry. We have had to make redundancies and this is a Marriott i'm talking about not a small privatley owned hotel!

Luckily my job is about as safe as it gets in the hotel, but we got no xmas party and no bonus/pay increase, which is a shitter as I nailed last year and smashed all my targets etc! I've probably missed out on a £1k bonus

[Edited on 18-01-2009 by Ben J]

Depends on the target market of the hotel entirely tbh; Clare's doing extremely well as the hotel is frequented by Gentry and OLD money who are not particularly fussed about a credit crunch. For example, the next 10 sundays in a row have at least 75 booked for Sunday Lunch at £35.00 per head! Thats as well as weddings, shooting parties (they have 44 acres of shooting and wood land) and functions at weekends all in a 16 bedroomed hotel.

However, new money hotels are suffering - there's a rumour that De Vere is about to go, especially as the owners seem to be shifting capital around and trying to sell off their bigger assets like Hotel de Vin, which was on the market for £700million but has dropped to £650million already! They paid £1.1billion for the DeVere group 2 years ago and at the time people thought that was over-priced.

In my line of work we're seeing a huge boom partly due to the strengthening of the Euro against the £ making us cheaper in Europe than ever before; The French Military placed a £2.5million order with us and finalised on the contract last week, thats on top of several other big money orders, (one for seven boats at £200k each). Our order book is stronger than it has been at any point in the last 10 years. We're actively recruiting and have already taken on 1/3 extra shop floor workers - our struggle is with demand rather than an economic downturn
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jan 09 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sam-smith
i mean building

at the moment princess isnt doing as bad as the rest but still no overtime and reduced hours for some

other companies are cutting to two day weeks etc

Sealine have shut 3 factories and laid 870 people off
Fairline have laid 275+ off
Princess I'm not sure about
Sunseeker iirc have not cut jobs yet but have halved production

Its hitting leisure really badly, the commercial and military markets though are in a strong situation. The MET Police have an order for 2 boats with an option for 2 more. Strathclyde Police have bought one, various other forces are in the market. Even the Environment agenc is about to awarda contract to someone for 15 smaller boats.
Ojc

20th Jan 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I work for a life assurance company, profits are down but existing business is good and lots of people are rushing to take out Unemployment Cover as a result I got paid bonus today £882 after tax.

Credit Crunch?
Avey

20th Jan 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not good in the house building industry Im a Quantity Surveyor for a medium sized house builder
I'm now working 4 days a week, so near 20% cut in salary
But in saying that, I get to spend some time at home with the little uns which at the mo (nearly 2 years old & 8 years old) is worth more to me than the money
Guaranteed employment til the end of April, but after then, who knows...
On the flip side to the country being in the shit. What hasn't been documented is that if you were previously looking to move up the property ladder, the difference in prices between houses is now smaller.
Agreed, prices may continue to fall, but there are some positives that could be pushed by the media
Graham88

20th Jan 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Credit Crunch hasn't affected my company, Underground has to be kept running
Ben G

20th Jan 09 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate idiots in general that say 'credit crunch'.

as a guy in work said, it makes you sound like your talking about a cereal ffs. get over it! you were coping fine with your money before it.

now, you still have the same money if your doing the same job, still own the same things, stil buying the same groceries/products, yet use this silly media term as a scapegoat.

pisses me right off.
M2RTY

20th Jan 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try being in manufacturing industry! I support IT for a company that makes nylon and polymers for:

airbags
car tyres
carpets
clothes

to name a few...all sales are down in these markets, has a huge knock on for us and thus the site is shutting

plus demand has shifted from Europe to Asia, so its cheaper to make it there then us make it and ship it over.

Thats comming from a global company with 18000+ employees which is owned by the 16th richest man in the world
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

narrow minded people in here, you try telling people from the nissan factory, which is 5 mins from my door, which was the most productive in europe last year, why 1300 of them have been laid off and the rest are on a 3 day week?

or why thousands of people in the manufacturing industry have lost there jobs, and now cant find a new 1 as they are being snapped up.

the crunch is very real, maybe some people have there head so far up their arse they just dont see it though?
Cosmo

20th Jan 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a grip before you make yourself look more stupid than you just have.

Not one person in this thread is under the illusion we arent going through hard times at the moment, its more just pointing out that not EVERYONE is having such a tough time like the media would have you think.
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Our sales have increased on previous years so far - so imo the credit crunch exists about as much as friendly terrorists do.

yes sure
Cosmo

20th Jan 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsabadboy
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Our sales have increased on previous years so far - so imo the credit crunch exists about as much as friendly terrorists do.

yes sure

If you couldnt guess that was a joke then you obviously have a sense of humour on the level of muslim extremists.

That was a joke btw incase you didnt realise.
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are correct not EVERYONE is affected, but there is hundreds of thousands of people who are, hundreds of companys in the northeast are set up with the main goal of supplying nissan, nissans makes no cars, they sell no parts, and the whole area is up shit creek with no paddle.

as for people saying "you still earn the same money blah blah" i am fortunate enough to have not lost my job so far but with hours being cut i have lost £500+ per month in overtime, which is imo a lot of money
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and no, i have no humour at all when my job is at risk
Cosmo

20th Jan 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And Im sorry for you, but the fact is not everyone is in the same boat.

Im making more money than I ever have, sales are rising by a very noticeable amount, smaller competitors are struggling and going out of business so its good news for us in that we have less competition and can expand quickly, house prices have dropped and people are desperate to sell so I'll benefit when I come to buy later this year and I'll get a great mortgage as banks scamble for my custom. The list goes on.
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im happy for you and hope all stays rosey. but the fact remains that there is a major recession, whether it affects you or not
Cosmo

20th Jan 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im happy for you and hope all stays rosey. but the fact remains that there is a major recession, whether it affects you or not

and we are back full circle - no one is saying otherwise, just pointing out its not all doom and gloom.
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but there is still a lot of it
Cosmo

20th Jan 09 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but there is still a lot of it

Of course their is, thats plain to see to everyone.
taylorboosh

20th Jan 09 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyway stop baiting me. im sick of hearing about it too
charcoalgrill

20th Jan 09 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it me, or is todays news that growth fell to 3.1% annual figure, just the newspapers way of trying to jump on the band wagon of "credit crunch"

its my understanding that the governments macroeconomics policy is to have growth between 2-4% CPI? which it is?

But they are quoting Retail price index (RPI) has dropped- which is because the mortgage rates have dropped- so quite predictable really.
Hammer

20th Jan 09 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Papers trying to cause controversy through sensationalist headlines?

Not a chance.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 07:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i hate idiots in general that say 'credit crunch'.

as a guy in work said, it makes you sound like your talking about a cereal ffs. get over it! you were coping fine with your money before it.

now, you still have the same money if your doing the same job, still own the same things, stil buying the same groceries/products, yet use this silly media term as a scapegoat.

pisses me right off.

Ben you seem to lack quite alot of information of whats happened in the economy for the last year and a half. Food got more expensive, so did petrol, people lost their jobs or had their days/pay cut and house prices are dying a death, even worse people have fucking large mortgages on houses which arent worth shit. This is a very real situation.

No it isnt a scapegoat, our economy is actually proper fucked.

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by willay]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 07:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Papers trying to cause controversy through sensationalist headlines?

Not a chance.

the Solution? stop reading The Sun and get a proper newspaper/source.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Annoying things people say (credit crunch) 22 database queries in 0.0166931 seconds