corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paul and Butler's Day Trip 'Up North' ... (ampton). (updated pg2 on why it was soft)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paul and Butler's Day Trip 'Up North' ... (ampton). (updated pg2 on why it was soft)
Paul_J

User status: Offline
20th May 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Paul, the springs on your coilovers are 10kg/10kg, as requested.

Rob's kit was returned to the supplier when he no longer required it.

The spring rates are on the box IIRC.

Cool cheers Robin - I didn't see the box (It wouldn't fit in my car ) - but that's good to know they were definately 10 / 10. I do remember you guys telling me about returning Rob's and losing £13

So if I add some compression to the spring (not height), then it should make the spring stiffer?

10kg should roughly be about 3 times stiffer than standard, yet it doesn't feel it... By compressing the spring a bit, it could simulate roughly the 12kg?

I may still bring it up on Sat as it's starting to settle more and the fronts seem to have a lot more neg camber now. Ideally I would like more neg camber at the rear than the front (so the rear is more stable in high speed corners).

Anyway... Please guys, just believe that we didn't see fad's inlet and it wasn't fitted to butlers car. I doubt Mark would cause all this hassel just for £120.
broster
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, with what you have learnt from playing with the settings on the s2000 on saturday we can use that to get it all right for you.
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fad Sorry mate...

quote:
The faxt Paul rang me up bragging about how my inlet was being fitted to bButlers car just confirmed what was going on. Brushing it off as a joke is inexcusable.

Me and Butler were joking about ... We had no idea there would be all this uproar about it...

When we returned from the Cinema Robin told us our thread had been deleted and all the chaos that had contined.

When I first arrived I asked about Warren's Car and your inlets. Both were not there or ready.

Butler was asking for the spec of Brosters car and was being told about his inlet (which made him 185 bhp on a 172 with exhaust + inlet) and Broster said he could have one fitted for £120 while the cambelt was done.

We said at the time 'This isn't Fad's is it?'...

Mark completely straight faced replied no and then showed us the differences.

It was just merely coicidental that butler was getting a inlet fitted when you have been waiting for ever.... So we thought it would be funny to tell you Butler's just got your inlet.

Same with Butler texting you back and saying 'first come first serve'.

We wouldn't of done it, if we thought Butler had just taken your part! Hell - Butler would've refused to have it fitted full stop if we had any suspicions...

I can't explain why you don't have your inlet yet and why it's taking Jamsport so long. But I can say - I'm 99% sure James Butler didn't get fitted your inlet.
Nath

20th May 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

Can you all sort it over u2u if you want to moan at each other. Rather than do it in public.

Balls to that....

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nick-S

20th May 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They're BC Racing... really top looking piece of kit. 3 way adjustable... Can change height, can change compression of spring (seperate) and can change damping...

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/

I would've thought the springs made a car soft or hard tho? So weird that it's all about the damping? ... will the gas eventually leak out and become less stiff or something? will adjusting it often cause it to wear out faster?

are you sure there 3 way adjustable because 3 way adjustable means high speed compression, low speed compresion and rebound?
loo_goblin

20th May 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

booo ... was expecting lots of northern bashing when i saw there was now 4 pages
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gsi 16v

no ... I was just saying it had 3 ways of adjustment on the coilovers.... The damping is not 3 ways adjustable...

It's just...

1. Height adjustable seperate to coil compression
2. Spring Compression seperate to height (for stiffness)
3. Damping adjustment.
taylorboosh

20th May 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by willay
nah not the wastegate Robin, the inlets, I thought the only difference between the inlets was the casting? so they fit regardless?

Nah, there's a difference in the breather connection on the 172 and 182, so although it would physically bolt on, the breather wouldn't seal.

Right if this is going for tit for tat I actually rang Mark Fish and Spoke to Icarus on Cliosport prior to being fed constant bullshit.

The fact is lower manifold will fit either a 172 or a 182 (182 and 172 cups have RS stamped ones, with a bit larger tracts), but the upper manifold is different, the canister line goes into the head in the 172 and for the 182 it goes into the upper manifold. It is the upper plelum that is different not the lower inlet. I played dumb just to see what you would tell me.

I said to Mark that I was apreciative for the stuff he did for me previously I even recomended you to people who personally asked me if you could be trusted. However I do not appreciate being lied to nor being made a fool to other customers. The faxt Paul rang me up bragging about how my inlet was being fitted to bButlers car just confirmed what was going on. Brushing it off as a joke is inexcusable.

The very fact of the matter here is someone came along with more money and you instantly thought a quikc buck was to be made despite me giving money upfront and in good faith.

As a result my Ring trip is increasingly near and due to the dealy I cannot have the items I paid for and was promised.

whammm thats him told eh
Nick-S

20th May 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Gsi 16v

no ... I was just saying it had 3 ways of adjustment on the coilovers.... The damping is not 3 ways adjustable...

It's just...

3. Damping adjustment.
sory. i got the wrong end of the stick. i was going to say if they were 3 way how much were they

also, corect me if i am wrong but how dose compressing a spring make it stiffer for example my coilover springs are 285lb. so that 285lbs of load for each inch of travle. if i compress my spring 2 inches is still going to need 285lbs to move it every inch after that. so it isent any stiffer, just shorter.

[Edited on 20-05-2009 by GSi_16v]
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no idea

Nick-S

20th May 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will looks ace eather way if u set it to the same as the pic u posted

AK

20th May 09 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul - what spring rates did you go for

If its soft, that'll be due to the springs, not the dampning.

Dampers just try and stop the spring from 'bouncing'

[Edited on 20-05-2009 by AK]
AK

20th May 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
Gsi 16v

It's just...

3. Damping adjustment.
sory. i got the wrong end of the stick. i was going to say if they were 3 way how much were they

also, corect me if i am wrong but how dose compressing a spring make it stiffer for example my coilover springs are 285lb. so that 285lbs of load for each inch of travle. if i compress my spring 2 inches is still going to need 285lbs to move it every inch after that. so it isent any stiffer, just shorter.

making it shorter will load it up already, pre-load. It wont make it stiffer.
Robin
Premium Member

20th May 09 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

If its soft, that'll be due to the springs.

10kg front, 10kg rear
AK

20th May 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AK

If its soft, that'll be due to the springs.

10kg front, 10kg rear

Thats pretty stiff for road, and a light car like that! They cant be soft!!!

10kg/mm = something like 450lb springs in old money :/

They cant be if he thinks they are soft!

We run 16kg/mm F/R in the skyline and its a pure track car weighing about 1400kg
AK

20th May 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry... just checked...

10kg/mm = 560lb/in

16kg/mm = 900lb/in jesus
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly AK!

Every other brand of coilovers for s2000 come with 10kg or less...

Standard is about 3kg rate... These coilovers come standard with '12kg' - which once I'd done the maths I realised was going to be insanely hard.

So I told the guys to give me 10kg front and 10kg rear...

It's soft. I agree, I thought the stiffness would be the springs.

10kg should be breaking my teeth. but if I have the damping anywhere below half it's like driving a boat. Rolling about. As you say, if I set the dampening higher - it doesn't really make it 'stiffer' just makes it more bouncey which isn't really ideal either.

Hmm... I wish i'd gone for the '12kg 12kg' springs now... Although something has to be bullshit with it, 12kg springs would = around 600 lb springs hence I didn't want to go that stiff.
Paul_J

20th May 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(To Clarify) - I don't think this is Jamsports Fault. I think the manufactuers of the coilovers - label the springs up as being harder than they truely are.
AK

20th May 09 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BC seem to be the budget option just now dont they?! Everyone is fitting them. Out go the Teins, in come the BC's.

Not saying they are bad... but prob dont offer all that they say they do in terms of adjustment, and possibly refinement of dampning.

Both our trackcars run TEINS.

Skyline on fookin expensive semi racing setup. Remote reservoirs, compression and rebound adjustment. You can really feel the difference in small changes, and the sheer adjustablity is way beyond my level! Thinking about it now they are runnign 12kgmm not 16!!I want 16, thats where that came from.

The Impreza is on budget coilovers. Its 'stiff'.. really stiff... but has no where near the refinement of the Skyline. Crash Bang Crash Bang

Skyline susp - £2.5k
Impreza - prob £500

AK

20th May 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the turn in issue - Thats prob just aligment issue. Might be toe-in, and the camber will prob need looked at if its adjustable.
loo_goblin

20th May 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
(To Clarify) - I don't think this is Jamsports Fault. I think the manufactuers of the coilovers - label the springs up as being harder than they truely are.

lol, i like how people have to use a disclaimer now
Butler

20th May 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamsport have the inlets laying about, we just thought it would be funny to tell fad it was his I was having fitted. Only a bit of banter. No I didnt get fads inlets fitted, there were others they had in stock. Im not a complete idiot, if Fads were the last ones they had I would have refused them, then again Mark never would have offered those to me in the first place. Im actually starting to feel bad for Jamsport now as they didnt actually do anything wrong but it seems theres bad words going round as a result.
Nick-S

20th May 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
making it shorter will load it up already, pre-load. It wont make it stiffer.
so i was right then?
Kano

20th May 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at BC Coilovers for the Accord just now.. Seen them on ebay but I'd be interested in seeing if Jamsport could supply them for me any cheaper? Will fire a PM your way Robin.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paul and Butler's Day Trip 'Up North' ... (ampton). (updated pg2 on why it was soft) 22 database queries in 0.0203769 seconds