corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Morning

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Morning
Neo

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 09 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Category 5
The specification for category 5 cable was defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-A, with clarification in TSB-95. These documents specified performance characteristics and test requirements for frequencies of up to 100 MHz.

Category 5[2] cable includes twisted pairs in a single cable jacket. This use of balanced lines helps preserve a high signal-to-noise ratio despite interference from both external sources and other pairs (this latter form of interference is called crosstalk). It is most commonly used for 100 Mbit/s networks, such as 100BASE-TX Ethernet, although IEEE 802.3ab defines standards for 1000BASE-T - Gigabit Ethernet over category 5 cable. Cat 5 cable typically has three twists per inch of each twisted pair of 24 gauge (AWG) copper wires within the cables.

gtf you too

I put gig down cat5 (not e) at eton end

GTF
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow 1 Mike nil
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh banter like the olddd times
Neo

22nd Sep 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lols, i'm just waiting for you to mention MPG and then for deano to get mocked

Where's phi these days

[Edited on 22-09-2009 by Neo]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

* Cat 1: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously used for POTS telephone communications, ISDN and doorbell wiring.
* Cat 2: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously was frequently used on 4 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 3: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B, used for data networks using frequencies up to 16 MHz. Historically popular for 10 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
* Cat 4: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 20 MHz, and was frequently used on 16 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
* Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networks.
* Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
* Cat 6a: Currently defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10. Provides performance of up to 500 MHz, double that of category 6. Suitable for 10GBase-T.
* Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Defined up to 600 MHz.
* Cat 7a: An informal name applied to Amendment 1 of ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. Defined up to 1000 MHz.

Its called best pratices Pow and you FAIL, we normally spec cat6 for trading networks.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May be unsuitable yes but it works. Tried and tested.

Just because the TIA/EIA doesn't recognise it doesn't mean it doesn't work - Some clever sod put 36MBPs down a coax cable - wet cable IIRC?

And yes, Cat6 ftw but sometimes budgets don't allow (private school non existant ones that is )

[Edited on 22-09-2009 by pow]
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no but we have things called standards pow, you're the reason we get loads of work sorting out bodged installs.
andy1868

22nd Sep 09 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
what, weight of computers?

yes, the weight of computers. i shit you not. he has some notion that because his house is 400 years old that the upstairs can't take any weight.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When's Cat7 going to become more mainstream?
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fack knows
andy1868

22nd Sep 09 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FIBRE!
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dare say a 400 year old house is better built that some newbuilds today
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we had a dark fibre go down last night between two sites, that was fun
andy1868

22nd Sep 09 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my theory is that its stood for this long pow
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dark fibre?

We have a trench that we paid NTL (i think) to dig across a main road here from out school site to a school who pay us to support them with a whacking great fibre link running in it.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While we are on geeky stuff - i offically hate 802.1x authentication.

In theriory is fantastic. In practice it ins't
Daimo B

22nd Sep 09 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
* Cat 1: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously used for POTS telephone communications, ISDN and doorbell wiring.
* Cat 2: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously was frequently used on 4 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 3: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B, used for data networks using frequencies up to 16 MHz. Historically popular for 10 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
* Cat 4: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 20 MHz, and was frequently used on 16 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
* Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networks.
* Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
* Cat 6a: Currently defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10. Provides performance of up to 500 MHz, double that of category 6. Suitable for 10GBase-T.
* Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Defined up to 600 MHz.
* Cat 7a: An informal name applied to Amendment 1 of ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. Defined up to 1000 MHz.

Its called best pratices Pow and you FAIL, we normally spec cat6 for trading networks.

I went for an interview at Formula1 in Biggin Hill.

They asked me what a CAT10 was, I gave them the dumbest "eh" look ever.

Funnily enough, i didn't get the job
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
dark fibre?

We have a trench that we paid NTL (i think) to dig across a main road here from out school site to a school who pay us to support them with a whacking great fibre link running in it.

yes, they own their own glass between two sites in london, one in the city and one on the south bank. They have multiple lines of glass for backup and last night the primary went down and spanning-tree made the network spazz out but it recovered in <60 seconds which aint bad.
Neo

22nd Sep 09 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not bad, lucky it came back up otherwise you'd of needed to be there. Isnt it Dark fibre which has no real testing methods unless your onsite Will ?
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't enjoy spanning tree lol
Shell
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aaah confusing computer talk
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how about shoes then shelleh?
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Thats not bad, lucky it came back up otherwise you'd of needed to be there. Isnt it Dark fibre which has no real testing methods unless your onsite Will ?

Uh I dont understand your question? to test fibre you put a laser down it and see it pop out the other end
Daimo B

22nd Sep 09 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley

Its why I want out of the game

buisnessesforsale.com is my new favourite passtime
willay
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley

you are beautiful

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Morning 22 database queries in 0.0182519 seconds