corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Cav GSi - For Sale

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cav GSi - For Sale
chrex

User status: Offline
8th Dec 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, although i was going to get the Spax kit...i found this on the bay this morn, and sent the chap a message to see if he would end the auction early if i paid an amount.

He did, and i have bought them

A set of AVO adjustable's, recently refurbished with reduced gateways to make them stiffer for track use. They are solid when on max hardness, and min hardness is equivalent to a stiff fixed rate shock.

I have contacted coilsprings.co.uk and they can make high poundage 50mm drop coils to work with the stiffness of the shocks. Should make the car handle superbly. Where i can, polybushes will replace the standards, but i dont want to make it too rough on the road.

Happy days!

[Edited on 08-12-2009 by chrex]
dan-sport

9th Dec 09 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good
chrex

9th Dec 09 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got tyres fitted on, and the wheels are hammered. Apparently like 50p pieces

So they defo need replacing. The one with the noticable damage isnt as bad as one of the others, which is badly buckled.

So with the 5stud conversion on the cards, i will have to buy and prep some Vec GSi phase 1 wheels for that swap over.
kev
Organiser: North East
Premium Member

9th Dec 09 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
Got tyres fitted on, and the wheels are hammered. Apparently like 50p pieces

So they defo need replacing. The one with the noticable damage isnt as bad as one of the others, which is badly buckled.

So with the 5stud conversion on the cards, i will have to buy and prep some Vec GSi phase 1 wheels for that swap over.

is this cav the one from newcastle? sure ive seen it before?

when you do your 5 stud conversion and get it on 5 stud softstars they look nice on them

+ you can pick them up cheap these days...
chrex

9th Dec 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea it is. i'm araid im not a fn of the softstars at all. i love the sharp lines of the GSi wheels...and i have always liked them. Plus, i cant find a pic of it having been done. Im sure it has, so if anyone has a pic...send me one

There was a set of them on ebay that finished on £40 last week too! if i'd have known i was getting cheap shocks, i'd have had em!
thegsi

9th Dec 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a real soft spot for these. Would love one as my daily driver. Get modding then mate! Got a lovely base there. Look forward to seeing the updates
chrex

9th Dec 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks bud.

i know i havent got too many photos as yet, but i havent really had many things to get photos of...and havent spent much time underneath it as yet...

Need to get back into my old habit of shed loads all the time like i did with the corsa really...
Tedney

9th Dec 09 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now then mate. New suspension set up sounds good. How much did coilsprings quote for the 50mm springs? Not good new about the wheels aswel, they were nice and round when my mate put them on.

Asked him aswel when the cambelt had been done. He said he was told by the owner before him it had been done at 96k (said he didn't know about tensioners though), so sound be pretty new like you thought.

Hope that helps mate, any more questions just ask and I'll find out for you .
Ojc

9th Dec 09 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chrex, I've got some 18" Nurburgring alloys in superb condition that you can have for £450, two have Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres on with 2mm of tread left.
ShEp

10th Dec 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wheels would suit that amazingly well
chrex

10th Dec 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, im after 17's tbh...dont wanna go down the 18" route. Tyre price and unsprung weight are what i aim to reduce.

although they are nice wheels, i am after 5 or 6 spoke designs for it tbh...keep it simple, and they should look the best. Shep's wheels do look spot on, but again, are a be a bit big for my liking tbh.

Tedney - cheers for the info bud. The tensioners looked pretty new. werent rusted or anything like some i've seen...and there was no seepage of grease so seemed ok.

Have been driving it hard this last week...hitting the top end where i can, and it does appear to have made a difference. Its revving much more freely, although i need to get a decat asap, as i suspect there is some definite restriction going on there...
And the ICV is either clogged up to buggery or its dead. starting when its still warm is a problem, and its idling a little erraticly. Needs a coolant change too, and a thermostat...which will happen next week. Slowly chipping by at the routine checks, but need to get the water out of it asap and get decent antifreeze in.
chrex

14th Dec 09 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just got a set of bilstein B8/12 rears from ebay for 99p. am chuffed. they can go on for the meantime until all the stuff is sorted and the AVO's can go on. should have the adjustables tomorra...well wednesday.
chrex

19th Dec 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update

Well, quite a bit to update on.

I have received my AVO kit and the bilstein rears. Also, the front lower arms arrived too.

I managed to get the thermostat and coolant changed. the thermostat arms had cracked and bent - so it wasnt working as it should. Still...after letting it warm up for a good half-hour i still wasn't getting warm air from the heaters. have to check the matrix at some point...think it may be blocked. It is idling better though to be honest...so thats a bonus.

Ah well...these things are sent to test me. I just need to ensure its kept maintained over the next couple of months as the temperature drops, and i am hoping the little things will clear up.
chrex

4th Jan 10 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right...well its been a while since i've updated on this...so here we go.

I have washed it! ...

Yep, i decided that as it looked utterly mingin, and the weather was relatively nice (and only just 2deg) it was time for a quick wash. Didnt have my polish or anything with me, as was at my mates...so it just got sponged over to get rid of the layer of salt that had accumilated. Looks spot on now! and...i got pics!

I also decided to take it to a decent local bodyshop for a quote on getting the arches and sills done...and its booked in to be left wit them next week so they can have a good look at it and give me a stuck quote on the work. They are one of the only decent places to get sprays done at around here now...and i cant wait to have the arches sorted...and the underneath solid and ready for all the new suspension bits.

And speaking of suspension bits...here's some pics of the purchases.

AVO adjustables:

And the new lower arms/bushes/balljoints:

I have also ordered myself a decat off ebay...so that should be here later in the week, and should sort the fact that it wont rev when its been given some stick. the cat section is blocked, blowing from front and back and i think the middle too...lol, its fucked!

Anyhow...thats all for now. Only other note is that it may need a new ignition switch as it wont start after being sat overnight unless i smack the cowling or wiggle the key a bit. Random problem...but can be sorted. I just want it all bang on and ready for the summer.

Am on the lookout for 308mm brakes and 5stud late calibra struts and hubs...but i've got the tax to pay at the enda month...so thats gotta be saved for! Dunno why because the roads are hammered and really pissing me off now.

Ah well...thats britain hey...

[Edited on 04-01-2010 by chrex]
Minty_Fresh

4th Jan 10 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice

i would just change the wheels personally.. let the car down.

chrex

4th Jan 10 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...thats one of the plans for it. i hate them as well...but they are all i've got for the moment. I'm gonna get a set of pre-lift vectra GSi stars for it...have em done in anthracite or black wit red speedline and they should look right at home on it
Jenko_Sport

5th Jan 10 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive said it before but this needs the wheels that were on my wide arch
chrex

5th Jan 10 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ones you bought off adam...or the Kei ones?

I dont like either tbh, i'm after something flat spoked, which is why the GSi stars would look perfect
thegsi

5th Jan 10 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any pics of the inside mate?
ShEp

5th Jan 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

force10's suit cav gsi's right down to the ground.
chrex

5th Jan 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
Any pics of the inside mate?

only one iv got atm...

Ojc

6th Jan 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you use genuine Vauxhall lower arms and balljoints?
chrex

6th Jan 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are a bit tof a pain to get hold of tbh. I rang lookers and they told me they may not be able to get em anymore...

i got a pair of decent quality ones from ebay in the end...
Tedney

6th Jan 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good mate. Can't wait to see the pics after bodywork sorted. Keep us posted
chrex

6th Jan 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...its going in on monday to get priced...then i gotta order panels and i want the rot taken out asap. then later in the year...its going back for a full spray.

I want it solid for the new suspension components and bushes etc to be going onto. getting the floor and chassis points re-inforced too. That crack is getting double plated in and out...just so its 100% and the jacking section is gettin cut out and replaced. If i can sort everything it'll last another 20 years

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Cav GSi - For Sale 23 database queries in 0.0161021 seconds