corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner?

Poll: Are you a homeowner?
  Yes
  No
  No but I rent/lodge

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you a homeowner?
a_j_mair

User status: Offline
1st Feb 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see my thread in off day

i hope so or no holidays this year
Daimo B

1st Feb 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Is that strictly true Daimo? You also bought a house when 120% mortgages were avaliable.

Yes, why would I lie about it? IE cool points for CS?

I never got a 120% mortgage either.

We had little money, but saved hard for a while. Could have got a LOT more as well. But then we'd have had no money to live.
Pop

1st Feb 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul - I feel your pain. You pay more in rent than we do on our mortgage.
Colin

1st Feb 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Onto the 2nd on now, managed to put 20% down from the sale of the 1st one which was

Next move is going to be to get a one account when the fixed deals up & get it paid for as quick as possible.
J da Silva

1st Feb 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin what do you need to qualify for a one account? Faye is talking about getting one straight away but I didn't think you could.
deano87

1st Feb 10 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
P.S. most people I know down south who are my age and have houses, have all had inheritance from dead relatives...

That's how every single one of them have got their deposit and on the ladder.

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

Northerners I'm not talking about you with your 70k houses

I agree - you nearly need £70k deposit down these parts
Colin

1st Feb 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

It is & it isnt. I got £21k from the sale of my flat, the other 7k we needed was saved up between us in just 5 months, so it is do-able if you try. Like you said if you saved for 2yrs or so you'd have a deposit, just most folk cant be arsed.

deano87

1st Feb 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

It is & it isnt. I got £21k from the sale of my flat, the other 7k we needed was saved up between us in just 5 months, so it is do-able if you try. Like you said if you saved for 2yrs or so you'd have a deposit, just most folk cant be arsed.

Or it doesn't work out like that if you earn £15k per annum. Then if you weren't leaving cheaply at the parents for that, you'd never save it.

I guess to get into the mentality of saving for a mortgage deposit, you have to save as much as it would cost to run that house i.e. mortgage, council tax, food & bills.
Colin

1st Feb 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
Colin what do you need to qualify for a one account? Faye is talking about getting one straight away but I didn't think you could.

I dont think theres any qualifying criteria except from having enough disposable income for it to be advantageous.

For example were currently pay back maybe 8-9k under normal mortgage terms, I wont be getting one until we can comfortably afford to pay 20-30k a year towards it.

Its a great product if its right for you. Theres still interest to be paid though & if your not going to be able to knock it off in 5-10yrs then I think theres better deals out there. Thats my understanding of it anyway!!
Daimo B

1st Feb 10 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mortgage per month sucks ass.....

Having seen what I've paid off in 4 years, is even worse....

Wish i'd known you mainly pay interest on the first few years. Bummer.
Jules S
Premium Member

1st Feb 10 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
My mortgage per month sucks ass.....

Having seen what I've paid off in 4 years, is even worse....

Wish i'd known you mainly pay interest on the first few years. Bummer.

I think it's almost 100% interest for the first few years.

Daimo B

1st Feb 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite, but might as well be.

Needless to say, I don't bother looking at statements anymore as it winds me RIGHT up
Half Pint

1st Feb 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a statement through the other day and in 4 months we've actually paid quiet a bit off, but then my interest is only .5%

cunningham

1st Feb 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a good few freinds that work in banking and the ammount of people with 300-400k house and BMWs and Audis sitting on the driveway cant pay any of ther bills and are in £5k overdrafts as long as your comfortable thats all that matters
dannymccann

2nd Feb 10 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Renting with missus after uni, her parents house was too small to live at (single bed small room ftl) and my parents are prude's so have issues with us being in the same room let alone sleeping the night together So fuck that

Renting till we have a house deposit
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
i got a statement through the other day and in 4 months we've actually paid quiet a bit off, but then my interest is only .5%

WTF, How did you muster that deal up.

Im at like 4.75%, its actually gone down by about £80pm, but not enough to make a difference.

Jealousy... Mind you, all that spare cash for a nice new bike???

PS, you going this weekend to the show at all?
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the day off on Friday.... tickets are all booked and sorting travel arrangements.

i actually need another daily helmet for the scooter but got a good deal on an Arai Astro Race in Aluminium = £160 delivered....

so will be going for a perv and to look at bikes, been looking around but cant decide what would be a good tourer?

oh and the .5% was @ staff rate i am yet to be fucked in the arse by the tax man!
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bummer. Marry me and let me share your rate?

PM you about biking goodness....
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Onto the 2nd on now, managed to put 20% down from the sale of the 1st one which was

Next move is going to be to get a one account when the fixed deals up & get it paid for as quick as possible.

How did you save for your first flat? I know you didn't pay that much for it, something like 38k wasn't it

Again that's the major difference you are forgetting, you bought that flat when you could get 100% mortgages and made 20k in a short space of time meaning your jump up the ladder was quite significant, having that as a starting block for savings makes a massive difference. If you hadn't made that money think how long you would have been saving to move to your current house.

Even if you needed to save 10% to purchase your first flat it would have only been £3,800 deposit I think most people have that floating around.

It's all relative here.

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Ojc]
Colin

2nd Feb 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:

How did you save for your first flat? I know you didn't pay that much for it, something like 38k wasn't it

Again that's the major difference you are forgetting, you bought that flat when you could get 100% mortgages and made 20k in a short space of time meaning your jump up the ladder was quite significant, having that as a starting block for savings makes a massive difference. If you hadn't made that money think how long you would have been saving to move to your current house.

Even if you needed to save 10% to purchase your first flat it would have only been £3,800 deposit I think most people have that floating around.

It's all relative here.

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Ojc]

Deposit on the 1st one was 5% of something silly cheap. £36k or something, so yeah £1800-ish deposit.

What your saying is correct, however so many people will turn their nose up at having to 'make do' living in a council scheme next door to barry nae job for a few years, just to be able to get the growth from it to make the next move possible. I put up with the slum's & im laughing now about it!!

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Colin]
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a fact of turning your nose up, but imagine moving out to your first house surrounded by ethnic minoritys with no where to park and you being annoyed 24/7 just so you could move out?

I'd rather live at home than be stressed all the time wondering when I'll be getting a fatwa on my head.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

both of you have valid points, colin you had to pay whilst surrounded by people who were supported by the state and put up with poor surroundings but to finanical gain.

Ollie... again why should you have to put up with such behavour when you are the person paying and working.

it all depends on what you want, what you expect and what you are willing to put up with?

some points you will need to trade off others, its all difficult balance as you'll have to make concessions somewhere!
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing I do wish though, is that i'd got on the market a decade earlier.

Say bought a house instead of doing up my car....

But meh, never mind, we live, learn, and I still had fun spending money I hardly had

Oh wait, nothings changed then
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This country is over crowded, period.
mwg

2nd Feb 10 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing is I discount a small one bed flat immediately. You are screwed with regards to future planning be it either extension or starting a family and none of them have parking. And no one wants 1 bed flats round here so you'd never sell it. Yet some people are there saying to me I should buy something like that. Not a chance in hell. Just screwing myself over in the long run if I did.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner? 22 database queries in 0.0160880 seconds