corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003?
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
24th Feb 10 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
Been looking at these along with CTR's but i was just wondering if anyone on here has had first hand experience with these? Running costs, reliability, easy to fix myself, what to look out for etc...
Any info would be good

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by Gareth F]
i would have assumed by the question asked and the thread title that this thread was actually asking info on astra? Not sure where you are getting the vs civic bit from? If you cant answer the question being asked dont post.
Jambo

24th Feb 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread was doomed when i read the 1st post

Astra: Most bland car i haveb ever driven, expensive to run and dull dull dull dull dull. Its also not easy to park, cant see traffic out the back due to spoiler interior is dated (but solid) I wouldnt waste your money, you WILL get bored and sell it like 99% of owners except that R1CH guy.

If you really want an Astra, get a coupe turbo, they are half the price and some come with full leather.

Civic?

Never driven one, i don't really like japaneese cars. Aparently handles better and will be more inspiring to drive

My closing theory is this:

Buy something else.

Focus ST/ST170 or Meganne R26 or something like that.
Rob B

24th Feb 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^^

Oh look Nick, someone who has actually OWNED one again, saying it was boring and bland
MoesTavern

24th Feb 10 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
Been looking at these along with CTR's but i was just wondering if anyone on here has had first hand experience with these? Running costs, reliability, easy to fix myself, what to look out for etc...
Any info would be good

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by Gareth F]
i would have assumed by the question asked and the thread title that this thread was actually asking info on astra? Not sure where you are getting the vs civic bit from? If you cant answer the question being asked dont post.

Probably the "along with CTR's" bit of the part you quoted.

Suprisingly poor results with this latest bit of Honda-baiting Nic, you usually get a few but this time it's only Rob B.
Jambo

24th Feb 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
^^^^^^

Oh look Nick, someone who has actually OWNED one again, saying it was boring and bland

Theres definately a pattern somewhere, alot of people seem to find it hard to see though
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 10 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not bothered. Dont like civic. Dont like astra. I wouldnt buy either. Id buy am impreza which is far better any way.
Griffiths1991

24th Feb 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
not bothered. Dont like civic. Dont like astra. I wouldnt buy either. Id buy am impreza which is far better any way.

Neil Dagens

24th Feb 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id get the civic

Warren G

24th Feb 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id just get a deisel tbh

realy depends on what you want from the car, the astra is bland and boring

doesnt handle, quick in a straight line once moving

but should be what i want to soak up 2600miles in europe! it will do that better than the civic - 3k in 5th = 90mph, honda - 5k or something!
j10E W

24th Feb 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing the gsi has going for it is the looks imo,
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Feb 10 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
id just get a deisel tbh

realy depends on what you want from the car, the astra is bland and boring

doesnt handle, quick in a straight line once moving

but should be what i want to soak up 2600miles in europe! it will do that better than the civic - 3k in 5th = 90mph, honda - 5k or something!

6th gear at 70mph is just under 3800 iirc

Tops out at 145 on gps. As confirmed by fads convoy leading skillz in germany

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
frostyD

24th Feb 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GSi are the bollox

Big turbo next, get rid of thiss KKK astma pump turbo shite
Warren G

24th Feb 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when we gonna see pics of this gsi burt?
corsa120

24th Feb 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love my gsi so...... its great for what i use it for...... and they are not that bad on fuel i average about 28 around town and ive had high 30's on a long run they do drink if you cane it but lets face it nobody drives like that all the time so dont matter, my xe corsa drinks if you cane it but nobody keeps goin on about them...... to put it another way i get as good econemy as my mates 1.8 mondeo which has around 85bhp less...............................!

fact is i understand some people dont like them, but you have to understand some people DO and i am one them so deal with it.....

they may not be the best drive but i hate the civic for always having to drive it like you stole it, i hate where the gear stick is and im sorry the dashboard ent much better styled in my opinion compared to the astra's

mine has been ubber reliable only changed afm in 3 years and my last 3 mot's are have passed 1st time, its great looking and has all the toys i need and does everything i ask of it it may not be the best in its class but it does what i need it to do so why do i need something better to do the same job??

great car id buy another one. but also remember its not my only vehicle i also have xe corsa and 1200 bandit bike
Warren G

24th Feb 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

high 30's - i can hit 35-37 doing 60mph

so far my tanks have been
19mpg 24mpg 22mpg
frostyD

24th Feb 10 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mine is sat on 22mpg and has been since i can remember .
Rob R

25th Feb 10 at 02:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've owned both. CTR is miles better in every department. The end, can close this thread now
Graham88

25th Feb 10 at 03:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say they handle badly tbh. My mates has a diff, anti roll bars, springs etc and it was awesome fun to drive
Gareth F

25th Feb 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of opinions here then.
Thanks for every ones input, I think ill spend my money on a CTR, think i need something else other than a vauxhall (on my third now)

The main things I want from a car:
Comfort
Mpg when not booting it
Good handling (for the little spirited driving i do)
Visibility for parking

I should have stated in the first post civic opinions are needed too.
Jambo

25th Feb 10 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I wouldn't say they handle badly tbh. My mates has a diff, anti roll bars, springs etc and it was awesome fun to drive

The problem with the handling is not the amount of grip and stability. Bar the wallowyness and understeer and the fact it felt like it was made of jelly its the pure fact there is no feedback from any of the controls. Its all electronic and badly weighted/assisted. It feels like your playing sega rally in Megabowl but without the fun element.

Get a bmw 325ci
SAL
Premium Member

25th Feb 10 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by frostyD
GSi are the bollox

Im with you on this, what Type R ever touched my gsi around corners or in a straight line ?

Maybe on a track day, the type R might get through the tighter corners, but out on road it was not going to happen.

GSI
Nick-S

25th Feb 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just because astra gsi's dont offer much in the way of stearing feel does not mean they dont handle.

There nearly identical chassis wise to an astra vxr and they handle perfectly well.

I regulaly drive one with kw suspension, and a rear whitline. Centaly bring a smile to my face on the bends.
Pete_vxl

25th Feb 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go and drive each to stop the petty arguements in this thread.
Fad

25th Feb 10 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
Just because astra gsi's dont offer much in the way of stearing feel does not mean they dont handle.

Its not all about handing, a car can be built like shit old and rusty but it drives well and is entertaining, the Astra does none of these. I used to own one too like Jambo and Rob. Several other people in this thread actually like them too so its all horses for courses at the end of the day.

[Edited on 25-02-2010 by Fad]
steven_r2008

25th Feb 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B

Erm, whilst some things you've said i agree with. This is a comparison between a Astra Gsi and a CTR. The CTR has independant rear suspension, a well thought out MacPherson strut front setup. Which means with minimal mods you can gain alot of camber, can you even get camber on the back of a Astra? Without shims...

If you want a good handling car then double wishbone all round is the way to go like the DC2 or EK9.

camber on rear + wet roads = spin . i know this as my mate had a civic, lowered it, failed to get the camber arms that you need to buy additionaly so you don't get camber, bit of enthusiastic driving with my sat on his bumper in the corsa, going round a rather large island... low and behold the civic spun, corsa stayed planted . . . until i noticed i had my mate facing me, at which point (rather stupidly) my brakes went on and back end came round . fortunately i knew what to do so corrected it and managed to avoid a civic+corsa crash child.

it all depends on what kind of delivery you like. personally i like to feel the power of the car and not sit there wondering when it is going to kick in, hence why i would prefer the GSi, plus the fact i don't cross the 'ring' everyday to get to work, therefore prefer not to push my car beyond its limits around corners on a public road.

as people say, its completely down to personal preference and no matter what half the people say in this thread, whatever car you were more swayed to before starting this thread is more than likely going to be the car you get

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003? 23 database queries in 0.4591379 seconds