corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any Carp fishermen?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any Carp fishermen?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th May 12 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've joined a local angling club this year and one of the waters is known for its decent Carp, had the Yorkshire record a few years ago I think and there have been a few 30's out this year so far.

I decided to give "proper" carp fishing a try over the last few weeks though only on day sessions, and had a little bit of success last weekend with two carp in low doubles. Was actually quite satisfying to see the tentative bites lead into screaming runs after putting the bed of bait down.

I think I'm going to look out for a pair of reasonable carp rods on the second hand market to give it a proper go this year, maybe do a few night sessions too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jas

10th May 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Kipling just has to come and show off doesn't he
Jas

10th May 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C2RL R

10th May 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you fished Selby 3 lakes? i did 3 nights on there 2 years ago and didn't catch a thing. always been on the look out for a decent water that there isn't a waiting list to get on.
nice mirror you caught there. what was the weight?
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
have you fished Selby 3 lakes? i did 3 nights on there 2 years ago and didn't catch a thing. always been on the look out for a decent water that there isn't a waiting list to get on.
nice mirror you caught there. what was the weight?

I have actually, but never properly for Carp. It's got a bit of an odd history from what I can gather.

It started off as 3lakes (as per the name...) and then all three lakes were joined to make a great big one. The Husband/Wife in charge of it split up at somepoint and they divided the lake back into two - but apparently all the decent carp were caught napping in the larger of the two lakes which has since been a syndicate pond.

The smaller dayticket pond has some carp coming out, but I can't remember hearing about anything close to 20lbs recently. When I last went for a walk around, it was mainly old boys fishing waggler on it.

That Mirror was 12lbs 8oz, I caught one about 90mins earlier at just about 10lbs. It's not so much the size that's satisfying as I know they go three times larger in there (and then some, apparently) but for once I was able to map out my swim using a marker and lead, I knew the depths and despite the pond being bloody huge - it didn't feel daunting, just kept the bait going in and eventually started getting line bites / dropped baits before the proper runs! Awesome

Also fished popups properly for the first time, balanced with a sinking bait to make it just kind of hover above the deck (yes we were playing in buckets to test our rigs like proper losers )

It's certainly given me motivation to pile more time into it this summer.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rickavo

10th May 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Biggest is 26lb best was a 17lber on a float rod with a little cage feeder on about 5lb line, only went for 2hours after work because it was hot, brilliant fight on a little rod/weak line
C2RL R

10th May 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it's top when your hard work pays off. i used to just turn up, bang a pva bag full of bait out and sit on it for hours while drinking a few ciders.

invested in a marker rod setup and figured out what i was doing and my catch rate at least doubled.

i recommend watching the korda underwater carping dvd's if you haven't already seen them. you'll pick up loads of ideas watching them.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've seen those quite a few times, very interesting but Fairbrass does my head in (that's the guy, right?)

Any recommendations for a pair of decent entry level rods? I've got some Shimano Baitrunners which I use for Barbel so they should be sufficient.

I'm happy to go second hand if it means more for my money, fishing gear tends to be reasonably well looked after in my experience.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
C2RL R

10th May 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i started out i bought 3 fox warrior xt's for the grand price of £150! and they are the rods i still use! i've had carp up to 27lb's on them and they feel every bit as good as my mates daiwa infinity's.

Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
when i started out i bought 3 fox warrior xt's for the grand price of £150! and they are the rods i still use! i've had carp up to 27lb's on them and they feel every bit as good as my mates daiwa infinity's.

My Barbel rods are Warrior XT, so I guess it can't hurt to have a matching set

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
C2RL R

10th May 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be selling mine in the next few weeks as I'm emigrating in august. if they weren't such an arse to ship then i would offer you them!
Kippers

10th May 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas
Mr Kipling just has to come and show off doesn't he

not one to dissapoint

Just a few

[Edited on 10-05-2012 by Kippers]
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if you reconsider shipping them, I'll have em!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mark Prydderch

11th May 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a load of 'new' second hand gear this week, couple of Fox rods, Nash Bivvi, bags, nets, bed, chair etc. for £450. I'll probably go this weekend if the weather's alright.

Done a lot of sea, fly and course fishing, but fairly new to carp.
morpheus22

11th May 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to get myself a bivy at some point this year
Tiger

11th May 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be going Sunday to Barston Lakes, I go most weekends though to be fair.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th May 12 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I'll be going Sunday to Barston Lakes, I go most weekends though to be fair.

Weekend off for me as i'm oncall with work

Made up for it though by topping up on tackle supplies

Got some line on the way, some PVA refills for my funnel thingy, 20kg of 2mm micro pellets and some other bits and pieces.

Also winning a few auctions on ebay ATM for some carping stuff so need to keep me eyes on them.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cole

11th May 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy I work with caught a fish called two tone at strawberry fields at the beginning of the week 48lb 6ozs it's a monster
lee mitchell

11th May 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that strawbeery fields is a bit of a joke aint it thou? bloody tiny lake up the top and the amount of bait ive seen people piling in when i popped up there
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th May 12 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Guy I work with caught a fish called two tone at strawberry fields at the beginning of the week 48lb 6ozs it's a monster

Imposter! Didn't the real two tone die a year or two back?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

11th May 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can someone please give me a reason why fishermen wear camo gear?
lee mitchell

11th May 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Cole

Imposter! Didn't the real two tone die a year or two back?
yea, strawberry fields has a 2 tone mirror aswell
lee mitchell

11th May 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
so we dont get caught wanking in the bushes
Cole

11th May 12 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently it's a small lake but a difficult lake to fish it has 50 in there as well. Guy i work spends every night up there trying to catch it will get a pic of two tone up in a bit
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th May 12 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

The camo element of it can be handy when stalking fish in the margins but generally I think it's just the fashionable pattern for fishing clobber

Camo clothes are fine, but camo scissors, hook wallets and bait boxes are just a pain in the arse and keep going missing

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any Carp fishermen? 23 database queries in 0.0171599 seconds