corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Supporting a team you're not from/have connections with

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Supporting a team you're not from/have connections with
Ben G

User status: Offline
28th Jul 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dad supports west ham and we used to live within 10 minutes of the stadium so just supported them.

K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:
Originally posted by Tom
I don't think it'd feel right although some people's reasons make sense. Conway and Tommy do you feel an affinity towards the area of Newcastle (more so Conway) or is it just the actual football club?

Not a real affinity but was a good trip and one I was happy to do again for the city not just the football
However based on K2's description of why you should support a club I'm going to switch to Yate Town. We'll storm the Zamaretto Southern League Premier Division this year

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by Conway563]

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy L
My whole family (mums side) supports the toon so have just followed on from there.

Theoretically, I should support Northampton Town.

The reason I asked is because I love and feel at home around liverpool the city as much as I love LFC, the two things are intrinsically linked for me. I would find it odd to be somewhere that didn't feel like home and be supporting the team that were from there. I'm not saying it's wrong btw, just can't relate to it at all!

Tommy L

28th Jul 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom

The reason I asked is because I love and feel at home around liverpool the city as much as I love LFC, the two things are intrinsically linked for me. I would find it odd to be somewhere that didn't feel like home and be supporting the team that were from there. I'm not saying it's wrong btw, just can't relate to it at all!

But you've grown up in liverpool (presumably) so you are bound to feel love for the city. I'm sure i'd be the same if i was born and raised on tyneside. I love going up to Newcastle, i think its a great city and the people/fans up there are great. I certainly don't love Northampton, I think its the shittest place on earth so wouldn't dream of supporting it Northampton town

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by Tommy L]
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me its not who you support but how you feel about the team you support. The only way in my mind to get the ultimate enjoyment out of football is to support a club that means the word to you. You cheer every goal like you have just won the lottery and every defeats hurts like fuck.

Theres different level of football support in my mind.

You have group A who basically have a passing interest, probably just watch GSS or look for the results, might "follow" a team and keep a check on how they are doing but win, lose or draw it doesnt really affect them. They may have a replica shirt

Group B maybe actually go to the odd game now and then, they usually keep track of what the clubs up to (transfers, news etc) they follow them and want them to win but if they don't its not the end of the world for them.

Group C are the hardcore fans, they go to every game they can including away ones, love the club and have genuine feelings for it. When their team loses it hurts. When they win its the best feeling in the world. They have a real affinity with the club and would feel lost without it. It means everything to them.

I am definitely in group C
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, so you go home and away york games? season ticket and all that?
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
For me its not who you support but how you feel about the team you support.

doesn't make sense?
Tommy L

28th Jul 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm definately Group B. Newcastle is such a long trip for me so turns out an expensive trip which is the only reason I don't go very often. Although this season i'm hoping to go to quite a few. I do to a lot of the away games though. Guy at work can get the tickets easily enough. Although it is the end of the world if we lose

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by Tommy L]
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm definately Group B. Newcastle is such a long trip for me so turns out an expensive trip which is the only reason I don't go very often. Although this season i'm hoping to go to quite a few. I do to a lot of the away games though. Guy at work can get the tickets easily enough

newcastle have a fantastic hardcore support.. you're doing well to get tickets with a prority!

but away games are way better than home games... better atmoushphere, and the nights out are amazing!!

looking forward to a new place every other weekend this season, makes for a change and you meet a whole load of people (fitties).. happy days.
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K2 GTi
quote:
For me its not who you support but how you feel about the team you support.

doesn't make sense?

Of course it does. I could have been born in America but if id have been taken to York games at the same age i was i would still have grown a love for them. Once you have been through the ups and downs with that team, you are hooked.

Are you suggesting that the only team you could ever develop feelings for is if you were born there? Thats ridiculous, many of my mates were born in York but love Leeds, they go to every game, they mean a lot to them.
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, because leeds are better and more well known than york? if it was the other way round they'd support yok!
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Not a season ticket holder as i cant make Tuesdays due to working nights so it doesnt work out any better off for me, but yes i go to every home game (obv bar tuesdays unless i get them off work) and about half the away ones. Can't wait for the start of this season, Kiddy at home followed by Grimsby away on tuesday (had to book that one off) and Bath away on saturday, expensive week
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Not a season ticket holder as i cant make Tuesdays due to working nights so it doesnt work out any better off for me, but yes i go to every home game (obv bar tuesdays unless i get them off work) and about half the away ones. Can't wait for the start of this season, Kiddy at home followed by Grimsby away on tuesday (had to book that one off) and Bath away on saturday, expensive week

fair play for not supporting man utd and such as 90% of people would do
Tom

28th Jul 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say i'm a B plus Jonny, i'd love to go to more games (home and away) but I simply can't afford to, it's probably the most negative part of supporting a big successful team. I think, talk, watch liverpool and football all the time, tbh my interest has grown and grown in the last few years. As soon as I get a season ticket i'll be there every game, simples.
Conway563

28th Jul 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm definately Group B. Newcastle is such a long trip for me so turns out an expensive trip which is the only reason I don't go very often. Although this season i'm hoping to go to quite a few. Although it is the end of the world if we lose

This
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah, because leeds are better and more well known than york? if it was the other way round they'd support yok!

More to do with their dads supporting them and taking them to games when they were young, from that, they developed their love for the club. When i was 7 years old i had a Man Utd shirt Got taken to my first York game at the age of 9 by my uncle, absolutely loved it (even though we lost 2-0 to Bristol City), i never wore that utd shirt again, been watching york ever since. This will be my 16th season!
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
I'd say i'm a B plus Jonny, i'd love to go to more games (home and away) but I simply can't afford to, it's probably the most negative part of supporting a big successful team. I think, talk, watch liverpool and football all the time, tbh my interest has grown and grown in the last few years. As soon as I get a season ticket i'll be there every game, simples.

Yes. And there is a waiting list for season tickets at pool?

And I agree premiership prices take the piss, dont you pay something like £50 a game?
Tommy L

28th Jul 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I'm definately Group B. Newcastle is such a long trip for me so turns out an expensive trip which is the only reason I don't go very often. Although this season i'm hoping to go to quite a few. I do to a lot of the away games though. Guy at work can get the tickets easily enough

newcastle have a fantastic hardcore support.. you're doing well to get tickets with a prority!

but away games are way better than home games... better atmoushphere, and the nights out are amazing!!

looking forward to a new place every other weekend this season, makes for a change and you meet a whole load of people (fitties).. happy days.
He has a mate that works/runs for an unofficial fans site and gets sent 4 or 6 tickets for every game!
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Aye the ones i listed were heavily simplified, theres obviously ones in between but i couldnt be arsed writing out all the little differences

One of the best things about supporting a LL team, i just show up and pay on the day. Not only that i see the same faces when i go there, ones you get to knows as the hardcore ones and meet on away trips when theres only 100 of you stood on freezing cold terraces in some London backwater town

In principle i think I'd actually hate York to be a prem team, i wouldnt like the feeling that i couldnt get a ticket despite all the years of support ive put into the club and id also hate all the fans that just appeared out of nowhere because we were successful all of a sudden. Obviously i want us to succeed at the highest level too, kinda fucked both ways
Tom

28th Jul 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

And I agree premiership prices take the piss, dont you pay something like £50 a game?

Yes there is, i'll probably have to wait until we build a new stadium before I get a look in (which could be 2016 tbh).

I went to about 5 or 6 games last season, my boss shares a set of season tickets and he gave a few games up for me and got me prioroty on some european home tickets.
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Aye the ones i listed were heavily simplified, theres obviously ones in between but i couldnt be arsed writing out all the little differences

One of the best things about supporting a LL team, i just show up and pay on the day. Not only that i see the same faces when i go there, ones you get to knows as the hardcore ones and meet on away trips when theres only 100 of you stood on freezing cold terraces in some London backwater town

In principle i think I'd actually hate York to be a prem team, i wouldnt like the feeling that i couldnt get a ticket despite all the years of support ive put into the club and id also hate all the fans that just appeared out of nowhere because we were successful all of a sudden. Obviously i want us to succeed at the highest level too, kinda fucked both ways

Which is why if I was from manchester/liverpool/chelsea I would hate these fairweather glory supports that offer no support to the club (rather than buy the shirt), they will sit there at a game with no passion, no support, which Is why I like the hardcore fans who are vocal and get behind the team!!!

I'd hate to support a top club for more than a few reasons...

K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Yes there is, i'll probably have to wait until we build a new stadium before I get a look in (which could be 2016 tbh).

I went to about 5 or 6 games last season, my boss shares a set of season tickets and he gave a few games up for me and got me prioroty on some european home tickets.

See if Liverpool weren't such a good team you wouldnt struggle with a season ticket...

Thats why it sucks to be from somewhere with a successfull football team

Fair play though.
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKkWOX0vEM8

this is us at blackpool, making an atmousphere, great support it was that weekend!!!
JonnyJ

28th Jul 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKkWOX0vEM8

this is us at blackpool, making an atmousphere, great support it was that weekend!!!

Thats what its all about isnt it

I fucking love away trips, you just cannot beat them.

I still get tingles down my spine when i think about AFC Wimbledon, Cambridge & Luton away last season.

[Edited on 28-07-2010 by JonnyJ]
K2 GTi

28th Jul 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate, that is what its about, and the memories from the season.

All the nights out/people you meet/the game/ and the feelings you get through to matches (we was knocked out on penos at cardiff, went from going ahead to losing on penos).. its all worth the 1000s you spend in a year
Cavey

28th Jul 10 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to have a season ticket for 4/5 years at Crewe when I was younger, went to a few local away games, and have supported them since I lived in Crewe.

They're now shit, and still selling their best players, and confined to mid-table league 2 (at best) But I still support them, always will.

Also support West Ham, as my dad supports them, and I got bored of taking the piss out of him about 10 years ago, and wanted some (a little) better than Crewe to support.

Been to watch West Ham a couple of times, still not been to the Boleyn Ground though, London is a long way away, was amongst about 500 at Burton at the weekend watching the kids get beaten tho

I'd say i'm a B personally, it's funds that stop me going to more matches, although I could reasonably watched Crewe home games, but it'd be a £50 round trip every couple of weeks and I can't afford that at the moment, will be watching them against Burton and Chesterfield this year though

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Supporting a team you're not from/have connections with 23 database queries in 0.0160151 seconds