corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Alex Reid

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alex Reid
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Sep 10 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was meaning a boxer in the octogon with an MMA fighter, another reason why most of them fail to addapt to the sport, alot of MMA figters have boxing backgrounds but left it behind to start MMA
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I was meaning a boxer in the octogon with an MMA fighter, another reason why most of them fail to addapt to the sport, alot of MMA figters have boxing backgrounds but left it behind to start MMA

Yeah you might be right - but then I still dont think a really top boxer has ever been in mma - I know many come from boxing backgrounds, but thats not the same thing as a top, belt winning boxer at his prime. Ex boxers dont count - more often than not they have been hurt once too many times as a boxer, the phrase 'he comes from aboxing background' - to me that just means 'he wasnt good enough to make it as a boxer'

You wont see many modern boxers take a real beating as it is too dangerous to let it happen - you have to go back and watch fights from the 70's,80's and early 90's to see the real nasty ones.

Personally I dont like the sight of someone on top of a man on the floor smashing his face in with their fist or palm - I dont think its that dangerous or anything - I just dont think its great to watch, prefer boxing when both people are stood on their feet and have a chance of throwing a great counter punch. Not much you can do once some of these top mma guys get on top of you - I know that the game but it just doesnt do much for me

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by Dr Pepper]
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll never be compared as a toe to toe fight though, it will never happen unfortunately, boxers think they can come in to the octogan and fight just because they're good at boxing, the trouble is they only do months of training to be an all round MMA fighter, it just doesn't work.
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It'll never be compared as a toe to toe fight though, it will never happen unfortunately, boxers think they can come in to the octogan and fight just because they're good at boxing, the trouble is they only do months of training to be an all round MMA fighter, it just doesn't work.

And they are normally failed boxers, or washed up boxers .... so they are average boxers and have little mma experience- never going to do well.

In my opinion a really good fighter like a tyson, mayweather, calzaghe could go in there in their prime and just box and do very well.

DannyB
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They couldn't go in there and box well if an MMA fighter could do what he wants, the MMA fighter would adapt to that style of fighting and take it to the ground.
Jules S
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh MMA vs Boxing...the age old dilemma of 'who would take who'

IMO a boxer would win in their environment, an MMA in theirs.

If they swapped rules/rings, I'd expect the boxer to have a good shot at MMA, whilst I'd expect the MMA fighter to get sparked out very quickly in a boxing ring

It's a bit like comparing whether apples are better than oranges

It was entertaining tonight though
Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They couldn't go in there and box well if an MMA fighter could do what he wants, the MMA fighter would adapt to that style of fighting and take it to the ground.

Thats what they should do .. but Im not sure they would be able to get close enough to be able to do it - they would have to take a lot of hits on the way in each time..would be interesting to see what would happen.

I get your point totally - but I would like to have seen someone trying to get in close to tyson without having a great boxing defense, then trying to grab him and get him to the floor. Would be even harder to get in close to someone like mayweather without taking serious hits on the way in. People like Hatton took so much punishment getting close to these top guys that they no longer had a knockout potential.

Happens a lot in top levels of boxing - great punchers and big hitters get beat beacuse they get out boxed on the way in, fights like frazier v ali where frazier has to take three punches to get on the inside and brawl. Top boxers struggle not to get picked of by other top boxers... Im not sure most mma guys could handle it. They would always have the advantage once they got inside- no one can dispute that

Dr Pepper

25th Sep 10 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I look at it is this

The top pound for pound boxer would beat the top pound for pound mma fighter in a boxing bout

The top thai boxer in the world would beat the top mma guy in a thai bout.

I dont think its as cut and dry to say what would happen when you put the thai boxer and normal boxer in the octagon. I think the thai boxer would lose but the top pound for pound boxer would always be the bookies favouite in a cage fight(but it wont happen in the foreseable future)
Ben J

26th Sep 10 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who won btw???
jay26

26th Sep 10 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the other guy
John G

26th Sep 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If you put a good professional boxer in a cage with these guys the boxer would knock them out without having to use feet or grabs.

You mad, it's been proved many times that a boxer getting in to the octogon with an MMA fighter doesn't last long

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by DannyB]

Yeah ok

You cannot be sarcastic on this subject when I follow MMA and you don't, please go and watch James Toneys recent fight against Randy Couture, please also look at James Toneys wiki page and find out just how good a boxer he was.

I follow boxing, and I watch a bit of MMA ... Im not knocking mma - but they couldnt handle a top boxer in there if the boxer took it seriously they would knock these guys out, or just out box them

when will so called "boxers" realise they wont cut it at MMA level. Keep thinking your sport is the best going
Dr Pepper

26th Sep 10 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but as I have said 50 times since that quote - Im not talking about 'boxers' in general... Im referring to 'top' boxers.

As a top boxer has never been in a mma fight in their prime then you cant prove me wrong.

Im not saying any boxer could go in the octagon and dominate ... read the rest of the thread Im not going to keep repeating the same point again and again.
bazzaa

26th Sep 10 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was there any build up's before alex was on ?
andys sxi
Premium Member

26th Sep 10 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i recorded it but it never recored the last round

April 08 feature car
scoob
Premium Member

26th Sep 10 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi
i recorded it but it never recored the last round

same
andys sxi
Premium Member

26th Sep 10 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you found it on the internet to watch anywhere?

April 08 feature car
John G

26th Sep 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah but as I have said 50 times since that quote - Im not talking about 'boxers' in general... Im referring to 'top' boxers.

As a top boxer has never been in a mma fight in their prime then you cant prove me wrong.

Im not saying any boxer could go in the octagon and dominate ... read the rest of the thread Im not going to keep repeating the same point again and again.

iv read it all and stil have the above opinion, its not called mixed martial arts for nothing MMA are all rounded boxers arent
CORSA NUT

26th Sep 10 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well fuck me....Alex did a decent job.

Looked to me like Tom wasn't on it IMO maybe he was a bit shocked by alex's initial size advantage? All I know is that I have more respect for him after seeing that.
Dr Pepper

26th Sep 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
quote:

iv read it all and stil have the above opinion, its not called mixed martial arts for nothing MMA are all rounded boxers arent

yes I agree they are better all round fighters, but personally I dont think you have ever had a great boxer in his prime have a go in a mma match ... I think they would go in as bookies favourite.

For example ... watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0

I know its make believe ..... but I couldnt see any boxer in the world stopping that guy in his prime ... I dont see a mma fighter who does not have a great boxing defense being able to do much about a fighter like that. I know you wont agree but thats just how it seems to me.

The best boxers in the world go into boxing, the best thai fighters become champion thai fighters ... in mma the best all round fighters win things - because thats the sport .... it doesnt mean they will automatically be favourite aginst a boxer just because they are a better all round fighter. A great boxer would be bookies favourite against the equivalent pound for pound mma champ.... even in the octagon

In a boxing ring I dont think there is too much argument that most of the top mma guys would get killed by the equivalent title holder in boxing

[Edited on 26-09-2010 by Dr Pepper]
Jay

27th Sep 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm obviously not talking top level fighting here but a mate of mine done boxing since he was a kid, he now does Muay Thai, hes amazing with his hands but three times hes battered the lad in the ring but lost on points through lack of kicks... not sure how MMA works with points etc though.
Ojc

27th Sep 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why wasn't he giving him roundhouse kicks to the back of the neck?
Laney

27th Sep 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it ironic that this whole debate is the point of UFC (which to most people IS MMA) - originally an invitation by the Gracies to prove that BJJ isn't the best fighting method available.
Hammer

27th Sep 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick a boxer in an MMA ring and he gets put on his arse and tapped out or ground and pounded every single time.

The boxer has 1 chance in an MMA environment and that's if they land a knockout blow before they're put on their back.
Jules S
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Why wasn't he giving him roundhouse kicks to the back of the neck?

He tried some weird right hander haymaker with a spin/backhand left hander at one point. I think he was taught that by some guy in the far East who was taking the piss

MoesTavern

27th Sep 10 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Stick a boxer in an MMA ring and he gets put on his arse and tapped out or ground and pounded every single time.

The boxer has 1 chance in an MMA environment and that's if they land a knockout blow before they're put on their back.

It's because the boxer would have to deal with a situation utterly alien to him. And judging by the quality of striking I've seen in MMA bouts so far the same would be true in the reverse situation. It doesn't mean MMA fighters are better all-round, just that they are better under MMA rules.
The same as a boxer would be superior under boxing rules.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Alex Reid 23 database queries in 0.0145540 seconds