corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clean up Corsa Sport?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clean up Corsa Sport?
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Oct 10 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Deleting it will piss the thread maker off, telling them in the thread or via U2U is a much better idea.

They normally u2u and delete.

On here one person telling someone about txt talk turns into a 5 page bandwagon!
Lawrah
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dangermouse2503
quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
I bet if this thread was created by an elite premium member with over 26 years of CS experience the views and comments would be a lot more positive, imo.

I was thinking exactly the same.

Straight away the problem that has arisen from this post is the moderators have got a bit shirty when I clearly stated at the top that this it wasnt my intention to get anybody's back up, just merely ways to improve the site and people to give CONSTRUCTIVE views on whether it is fine or if others have similar or other issues.

Other sites manage to keep scammers at bay and completely eradicate text talk and suggestions are met with enthusiasm, not sarcasm and hostility

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by dangermouse2503]

Wait wait wait..

You are on a Corsa website, it is not as if we are on the Classical Composers of the 1900's forum.. In this day in age maybe young enthusiast do not have certificates in grammar, yet they do enjoy getting their hands dirty in an engine bay. Is this not why this website is here? A place for people of all backgrounds and ages to enjoy? If you flush out the ones that don’t speak great English we would be left with a website of well-spoken tossars, all correcting each others mistakes.. Who are you to come on and decide what makes a website? If you can so much please make your own website where people can discuss the Financial Times with each other.
Scotty C

26th Oct 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amen.
dangermouse2503

26th Oct 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I'm the only 'moderator' that replied I gave you answers to your questions, in a normal manner.

Other sites have not got rid of scammers all together most of the scammers on here have been on other sites too, we often get told about them from other sites.

Text talk does get dealt with, just not in a manner where it's either type like we want or you'll get banned, what is the point in that?

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by DannyB]

I am grateful for the contructive manner that you posed your answers

I never mentioned banning people at any point in my post, its just that the behaviour of some members is off putting to people wanting to become members. Not tarring everyone with the same brush.

I understand people have the freedom of speech but its those that voice opinions when they arent needed. For example

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=579608

The post is there asking for advice then Thenobleone has gone and thrown his bit in.

If Ollie had wanted opinions I think he would have asked.

Its this kind of behaviour that steers people away from what is a very well run site.

The post was intended to be a kick up the arse for members as my mate has just said, not to criticise the moderators or administrators of the site and there methods of managing the site.

People have said that there are a few members who bounce around the forum, flexing there keyboard warrior muscles thinking they rule the roost then when someone tells them there out of line, 'fuk off nob ed' is the response. Its this kind of behaviour that is offputting.

At the end of the day, I'm just the fool that put his head on the chopping block and wrote the post hoping influence some positivity and let other members have there say.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye but jus cos sum1 int gud @ spelin an grama dunt mean thy av to tlk lyke a diked.

That's what people are saying. Not that someone misses am apostrphe (sp) its txt talk thats annoying.

If someone wants you to spend thier time and read your post then they can at least try to make it ledgible. innit!

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by glb]
Lawrah
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people dont know how to! From years being on forums, Its taught me a lot and changed the way I type. All need a chance.
DannyB
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The post is there asking for advice then Thenobleone has gone and thrown his bit in.

Constructive criticism I would say, people know through experience about 17's on a corsa, more hassle than it's worth and it does look awfull, maybe he wasnt aware of this? although he did get the answer he was looking for on the 2nd post and within 2 minutes of posting. Not bad going really.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
Some people dont know how to!

So your saying that kids arnt taught that 'This' isnt spelt 'Dis' anymore?

I think not. Everyone did english at school.

Only excuse is Dyslexia (sp) but you can normally tell the difference between a dyslexic poster and a twat.
Lawrah
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
quote:
Some people dont know how to!

So your saying that kids arnt taught that 'This' isnt spelt 'Dis' anymore?

I think not. Everyone did english at school.

Only excuse is Dyslexia (sp) but you can normally tell the difference between a dyslexic poster and a twat.

They may attend school they may not.. Usually when young boys have an interest in something else, they will not care about school, much rather spend time working on cars, so their education gets put to the side.
A1EX

26th Oct 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
I bet if this thread was created by an elite premium member with over 26 years of CS experience the views and comments would be a lot more positive, imo.

Straight away the problem that has arisen from this post is the moderators have got a bit shirty when I clearly stated at the top that this it wasnt my intention to get anybody's back up, just merely ways to improve the site and people to give CONSTRUCTIVE views on whether it is fine or if others have similar or other issues.

Other sites manage to keep scammers at bay and completely eradicate text talk and suggestions are met with enthusiasm, not sarcasm and hostility

Wait wait wait..

You are on a Corsa website, it is not as if we are on the Classical Composers of the 1900's forum.. In this day in age maybe young enthusiast do not have certificates in grammar, yet they do enjoy getting their hands dirty in an engine bay. Is this not why this website is here? A place for people of all backgrounds and ages to enjoy? If you flush out the ones that don’t speak great English we would be left with a website of well-spoken tossars, all correcting each others mistakes.. Who are you to come on and decide what makes a website? If you can so much please make your own website where people can discuss the Financial Times with each other.

tossers
Lawrah
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ffs
Rob B

26th Oct 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't take everything to heart it's the internet!
dangermouse2503

26th Oct 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Wait wait wait..

Can I just raise this section of the original post to you:

"Speaking to fellow enthusiasts, there seems to quite a high presence of text talk in forums. Now I know not everyone is as educated as others, not to say that I'm calling people or ridiculing those who have a disadvantage but please, is it to much to ask people just to make that bit more effort to type sensibly and in the queens English?"

I'm not saying that everybody is as educated as everybody else. Just that there should be a happy medium for people to understand when they read a thread and not be getting frustrated because someone cant be arsed to type full words and spend double the time trying to make sense of it.

And I never came on here to say what does and dosent make a website, that was never my intention.

The post was aimed to encourage people to air their views and suggestions and see if some improvement can be made by the members to improve Corsa Sport

We are all members here and everyone has a say
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Oct 10 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
On the contrary. The two main points are that we should uphold literary standards and reduce scamming. Which I've personally been working on for many years and upon which I have the support of a great many members both long and short term.

The facts for me are very worrying - I work in education and literary standards on the whole are poor and getting worse. This isn't a CS problem, this is a United Kingdom problem. The youth of CS just reflects the population at large and the bad news is that CS, while it can have a stance on it, can't actually fix the problem on it's own.

CS position is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=189326

I do agree we can make an effort on this and I do appreciate the exposure for this issue so that people can more clearly see the reasons behind it.

Scamming, also a long term issue which isn't going away any time soon. We've said for years that people should get proper contact details and this is generally improving. I get less requests now for contact details than I used to, thanks in part to the increased awareness of people who are trading. Whether that is due to people reading policies or just threads about scammers I don't know, but I would guess people are beginning to look after themselves. That said, this isn't the case for every deal. I'm not even clear that we'll get to the point whereby everyone conducts themselves with a sufficient degree of protection but for those cases, we a clause in our data policy which allows me to release information so we're not entirely stuck.

Plus the 50/30 rule does now stop old time scammers returning with new names as we generally get on to that before they get the chance to post.

Trade policy is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=303515

Data policy is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=313027
Gary
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm not asking for Oxford English all the time, but do your readers a favour and take the time to prepare your posts properly.

Quoted from the 'Spelling, Grammar and Readability' thread in FAQ's

This is what I, and many others were saying.

And i'm sorry Lawrah, everyone knows that 'wen day talk lyk dis' it isnt english at all and they do know better.

And if they don't they should be put back into primary school. Or just shot as they have no hope for the future.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Oct 10 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
For example

If Ollie had wanted opinions I think he would have asked.

Its this kind of behaviour that steers people away from what is a very well run site.
Speaking about that specific example, I don't think it threw the thread too far off course, and that is advice - use a smaller wheel and it'll fit better.

Looks obviously is subjective and there are instances when they can look too big, namely if the tyre choice is wrong or if the car isn't lowered enough.

Major problem there in having issues with that post is that you'll never regulate the opinions of people when they are present in those volumes. Or you could, but the moderation overhead goes well up and we don't have that infrastructure nor the will to put it in place. If someone complained about that to me I would probably u2u him asking to be nice but as yet no complaint has been forthcoming. And I'm not even sure it would be warranted, it's a very minor issue if at all.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Oct 10 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People have said that there are a few members who bounce around the forum, flexing there keyboard warrior muscles thinking they rule the roost then when someone tells them there out of line, 'fuk off nob ed' is the response. Its this kind of behaviour that is offputting.
Show me these please. That sounds more like the people you've spoken to have fallen foul of some attitude and rather than deal with it properly have logged off, had a cry then moaned about it offline.

Of course I'm never going to fix that.
dangermouse2503

26th Oct 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
On the contrary. The two main points are that we should uphold literary standards and reduce scamming. Which I've personally been working on for many years and upon which I have the support of a great many members both long and short term.

The facts for me are very worrying - I work in education and literary standards on the whole are poor and getting worse. This isn't a CS problem, this is a United Kingdom problem. The youth of CS just reflects the population at large and the bad news is that CS, while it can have a stance on it, can't actually fix the problem on it's own.

CS position is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=189326

I do agree we can make an effort on this and I do appreciate the exposure for this issue so that people can more clearly see the reasons behind it.

Scamming, also a long term issue which isn't going away any time soon. We've said for years that people should get proper contact details and this is generally improving. I get less requests now for contact details than I used to, thanks in part to the increased awareness of people who are trading. Whether that is due to people reading policies or just threads about scammers I don't know, but I would guess people are beginning to look after themselves. That said, this isn't the case for every deal. I'm not even clear that we'll get to the point whereby everyone conducts themselves with a sufficient degree of protection but for those cases, we a clause in our data policy which allows me to release information so we're not entirely stuck.

Plus the 50/30 rule does now stop old time scammers returning with new names as we generally get on to that before they get the chance to post.

Trade policy is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=303515

Data policy is here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=313027

+1

Thanks Ian. You've managed to word it more diplomatically than myself.

Was reading the disputes last night with a mate and noticed the times that you were posting trying to get to the bottom of disputes(02.30am on one of them)

Myself and I'm betting quite a few of the more understanding members would appreciate that if people paid a little more attention, you would be putting your time to better use with the site than sorting 'tit for tat' problems between members.

The aim of the post was to make people aware and get them to stop and think of other site users and to see if other suggestions could be made to make Corsa Sport an even better enviroment than what it is already
Rob B

26th Oct 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm intrigued to see that too, i've never seen anyone be abusive in that manor apart from newbies usually.
Havoc
Banned

26th Oct 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Before we start........... long and boring post

who the fuck do you think you are? telling people they can do this cant do that has to be done this way mustn't do it that way, if you dont like it here, see that red x at the top right of your internet browser, use it to click out and fuck off.
Neo

26th Oct 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously Havoc

Either that is a sarcastic response aimed at Rob B and Ian or you're a prime example of what the guy has been complaining about.
Russ

26th Oct 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Havoc proving Rob B's point
Neo

26th Oct 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dangermouse2503

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Show me these please. That sounds more like the people you've spoken to have fallen foul of some attitude and rather than deal with it properly have logged off, had a cry then moaned about it offline.

Of course I'm never going to fix that.

An example from my behalf was an ad I placed in the classifieds advertising a full Calibra leather interior last week.
I placed the ad, put what I though I was a reasonable price for it considering the bolster wear and waited for any enquiry's.

Someone(I wont mention user names) took there time to go out of there way to u2u me that my price was exaggerated and told me what he thought it was worth.

Then 48 hours later u2u'd me again inform me that he'd purchsed a full interior with the same bolster wear for £46 off Ebay.

Full credit for him finding the bargain on Ebay but to take the time to go out of his way and express his opinion is the kind of thing that puts other people off.

If that was someone posting there first classified ad and I wasnt as thick skinned as others, I'd be thinking whats the point
Havoc
Banned

it was sarcasm. didnt go down to well eh lol

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clean up Corsa Sport? 22 database queries in 0.1381640 seconds