corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oil

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Oil
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
9th Apr 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
clearly it has happened to people as i have seen images of knackered nikasil lined bores

you could also say the same goes for making sure your oil is topped up frequently as low oil in these engines is pretty much fatal as well

Maybe it was fuel related and not oil.
lee303

9th Apr 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fuel issue with nikassil was a while back, and also mainly in countries with shit petrol with lots of sulphur in it, less of an issue in the uk, but cheap supermarket petrol can certainly contribute to liner failure
Adam_B

9th Apr 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee303
i would think most people use the right oil tbh, any motorfactor worth their salt will ask you what car you want the oil for and then sell you the right stuff

worryingly we sell it off the shelf on the shop floor, nothing stopping idiots buying 5L of mineral 20w50 for their brand new Audi diesel because its the cheapest
lee303

9th Apr 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
HTHS is only applicable in extreme conditions isn't it? Like engines way outside the manufacturers spec, heavily modified or running under load for a long time etc.

nope, they spec it for modern engines as they run super tight tolerances, all to eventually do with emissions, as i say oil with too much viscosity can make the pistons gall against the nikasil
lee303

9th Apr 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
i would think most people use the right oil tbh, any motorfactor worth their salt will ask you what car you want the oil for and then sell you the right stuff

worryingly we sell it off the shelf on the shop floor, nothing stopping idiots buying 5L of mineral 20w50 for their brand new Audi diesel because its the cheapest

lol, well you cant account for the human condition when designing these things!
Corsa_Sport21

9th Apr 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the fuel issue with nikassil was a while back, and also mainly in countries with shit petrol with lots of sulphur in it, less of an issue in the uk, but cheap supermarket petrol can certainly contribute to liner failure

It happened to many an E36 BMW 325i/328i back in 1995-1998 in the UK.They recalled them back to be fixed.I suppose that was a year or 2 before the Puma was released,but still a big risk for Ford to take.
lee303

9th Apr 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe bmw just went a bit too cheap on the liners? i think lessons were learnt pretty fast when it comes to nikasil
Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 11 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah some of the early puma engines were manufactured in the far east, they were supposedly reported to be more due to failure because of cheaper manufacturing priocesses, was moved to europe which made them better
lee303

9th Apr 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyway, just use the oil specced for your engine by the manufacturer, you really cant go wrong that way
Dione J

9th Apr 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
You are an absolute twat for not coming tomorrow

"I'm on my Disney shit, Goofy flow, on records I'm Captain Hook and my new car is Roofio"

"And yes I make mistakes I never make excuses for, like leaving girls that love me and constantly seducing hoes"
Drizzy Drake
Ste
Premium Member

9th Apr 11 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Why would they need to be lined??Couldn't they just have been bored out and left at that??

No, they are aluminium blocks so they need to be lined. If it was bare aluminium it would wear out very fast. The nikasil is a coating on the bores to reduce friction and help dissipate heat. Once it is worn off the engine is pretty much fucked.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
sand-eel

10th Apr 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:

It happened to many an E36 BMW 325i/328i back in 1995-1998 in the UK.They recalled them back to be fixed.I suppose that was a year or 2 before the Puma was released,but still a big risk for Ford to take.

Just the 323i and the 328i, the 325i had a cast iron block...ken?
Corsa_Sport21

10th Apr 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right,couldn't mind which 1 it was.

Makes sense now,seeing as they stopped the 325i in 1995/6.
pow
Premium Member

10th Apr 11 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS just put halfords 5w30 Part Synthetic for Fords in it

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oil 23 database queries in 0.0160668 seconds