corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Religion

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Religion
Paul_J

User status: Offline
14th Jul 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
This is what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNxhT4YuTQ&t=8m04s

and I think maybe you mis understand what I meant by my example of being re born and repeating your life...

essentially given infinite 'cycles' of universe growing and squeezing down to nothing - if each time was different, then in infinite time, of infinite cycles - you will have every possibility played out, some of which will lead to a similar reality we're in now / maybe even the same (although this would be such a small proportion of all the iterations).

[Edited on 14-07-2011 by Paul_J]
A2H GO

14th Jul 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Thing is as much as I don't believe in their being a god I would get my children christened (if I had any), just seems like the right thing to do

Your two sons, John and Cooper.

Fucking had me in stitches that
John

14th Jul 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
This is what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNxhT4YuTQ&t=8m04s

and I think maybe you mis understand what I meant by my example of being re born and repeating your life...

essentially given infinite 'cycles' of universe growing and squeezing down to nothing - if each time was different, then in infinite time, of infinite cycles - you will have every possibility played out, some of which will lead to a similar reality we're in now / maybe even the same (although this would be such a small proportion of all the iterations).

[Edited on 14-07-2011 by Paul_J]

I mean that the universe starts afresh, not necessarily the way it is now but slightly different, a complete new universe from scratch again.

You are talking more along the lines of parallel universes.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Jul 11 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just as bad as religious nuts you two!

Paul_J

14th Jul 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I'm talking about a new universe each time. but given that it's made up initially of the same mass, and a big bang type event 'randomly' throwing the mass out - I'm just saying that giving an infinite cycle, and randomness - you'll end up with the mass being thrown out in such a way that'll be enviable that some iterations would form stars / planets in the exact same formation and potentially even cause the same circumstances that led to my decedents and myself being born.

Most iterations would not be this case.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Jul 11 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get what your saying, and the first few hundred years may fall the same but after that, the options people can choose from grow, thus making the chance of this world being re-created very small.

The universe is another thing.

Where does it end? If you do hit a wall, what's on the other side? Now that's what interests me!
John

15th Jul 11 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The odds on that happening must be non existent Paul.

Think how big the universe is and exactly how much mass, there's no chance this scenario would play out twice, even with fairly large differences.
Paul_J

15th Jul 11 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The odds on that happening must be non existent Paul.

Think how big the universe is and exactly how much mass, there's no chance this scenario would play out twice, even with fairly large differences.

With infinite cycles anything is possible.

It's like the infinite monkey writing Shakespeare theorem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
quote:
The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

It's an extremely unlikely out come, but given infinite time / cycles and randomness every outcome is evaluated.
John

15th Jul 11 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand it, it would have to be literally infinite though, numbers far too large to begin to comprehend.

Then there's another theory that life on earth is so special it couldn't happen again.
Gary
Premium Member

15th Jul 11 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see that been correct. With an infinite universe, the same ish conditions must have occurred somewhere else.
John

15th Jul 11 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ish might not be close enough for life, we could be the only time it's ever has or ever will happen.
Paul_J

15th Jul 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's highly theoretical and obviously, unlikely for the exact repetition, but an interesting concept.

I'm unsure about the theory that life on earth is so special. I definitely think there is life on other planets (bacteria / worms / unknown things) - but I do think Humans as a species seem to be quite unique compared to all other creatures on this earth and therefore may be quite unique overall.

One of the theories we have about life not existing or thriving anywhere else than earth, is based on our belief that our planet is 'just right' - right distance from sun, perfect temperature, perfect atmosphere, water, etc. However, I feel that is only because we look at the creatures that live on this planet, as requiring those things and therefore believe all life requires those same qualities. Rather than the fact that life on this planet has evolved to live on a planet like this.

I do believe you'll need certain conditions for the life to get initially started, but after that who can say - once again, our judgement is changed by our own teachings / observations of ourself. The fact they found a new form of microbe at the bottom of an ocean which doesn't require phosphorus (widely believed to be building block for anything living) and instead used arsenic in its dna (widely believed to be extremely toxic to life). Point being, that on other planets, potentially in other solar systems, you may have a completely different planet to earth - but life will have evolved to suit that environment.

As I say though, human life seems to be unique on this planet - for the fact we seem to break out of the boundaries of what we naturally evolved into and can question our own existence.
mwg

15th Jul 11 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what on earth are you wittering on about
Paul_J

15th Jul 11 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spencer88

15th Jul 11 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wtf.

I would rather just have a beer and a chat with friends than worry about religion and who is right/wrong etc.
Gary
Premium Member

15th Jul 11 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
ish might not be close enough for life, we could be the only time it's ever has or ever will happen.

Highly doubt it.

They could hold life that's not as we know it.
Edd

15th Jul 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've always liked this and feel its relevant

Steve X16XE

15th Jul 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not read the thread but want to stick my nose in anyways.

I'm sure the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Universe 13.6 billion years.

Religion, well, like every folklaw / tale / mith has truth to it.

I have been watching something called Ancient Aliens.

One bit tells you about the "Great Floods" Noah's Ark and all that. Well after that, the Jewish people say that the 1st person was Adama. Can you see where Adam came from?

It also says that the "Gods" are just Aliens but missunderstood due to all their power.

In the Bible and many other religious books tell about Visitors from other planets.
harrisp

15th Jul 11 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

quote:
The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Doesn't the internet prove this wrong.
John

15th Jul 11 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE
I've not read the thread but want to stick my nose in anyways.

I'm sure the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Universe 13.6 billion years.

Religion, well, like every folklaw / tale / mith has truth to it.

I have been watching something called Ancient Aliens.

One bit tells you about the "Great Floods" Noah's Ark and all that. Well after that, the Jewish people say that the 1st person was Adama. Can you see where Adam came from?

It also says that the "Gods" are just Aliens but missunderstood due to all their power.

In the Bible and many other religious books tell about Visitors from other planets.

I knew you'd be a nutjob as soon as I read folklaw, the rest was largely irrelevant.
Paul_J

15th Jul 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:

quote:

Doesn't the internet prove this wrong.

Don't think so, just that it's so, so unlikely that in theory it would never happen - but then given any possibility (however small) and infinite outcomes = at least 1 will succeed.

It's similar to brute forcing passwords (in a more systematic approach) ... every possibility is tried in an incremental way, until a solution is found. This does mean that some passwords could be cracked in minutes and some seem uncrackable... (but only limited by our current tech / time)
Paul_J

15th Jul 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE

To be honest, if I was to believe in religion as actually being stories about real events, this would be my main thinking. Alien's being mis understood by the (at the time) naive earth population and believed they were gods.

It would be the only way to explain what you are seeing.
A2H GO

15th Jul 11 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
i've always liked this and feel its relevant

Jambo

15th Jul 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

/\ +1

Also Steve Jobs is god.
DaveyLC

16th Jul 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Randomly watching the Alan Carr show the other night that Scientist guy was on saying that they can actually proove within a 10th of a second how long ago the earth was created (10 Million to the power of 10 years ago or something).

Therefore actually prooving the bible, creation, Adam and Eve etc is a load of bullshit.

Does anybody else feel very niaive to have believed in this when they were younger?

I don't think its right that you get taught Religious Eduction in school and told to believe all this made up BS from a early age.

They can only prove it based on theories and theories by their definition are just that.. Theoretical!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Religion 22 database queries in 0.0165679 seconds