corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » am i being a retard - how to mid mount? page 5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author am i being a retard - how to mid mount? page 5
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Feb 12 at 05:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gearbox will work either way. Might be a little noisier possibly whiny in the opposite direction
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
im not sure how it would work.. wonder if someone in the know gearbox wise can tell me if its possible to flip the diff in an f20? also if it is posible will this make the whole gearset run backwards or just the drive through the shafts?

Even If you had the crown wheel and final drive cut in the opposite direction the output would still be in the same direction, to reverse a drive you would have to add another gear which would not only probably be impossible it would add complexity and thus make the gearbox unreliable.

Lets look at this from a different view point.. The only reason Honda engines are considered to "run backwards" is because they are factory right-hand-drive cars so the engine is designed to be on the passenger side to improve weight distribution i.e. its rotated 180 degrees compared to traditionally LHD (euro) cars.

So in conclusion Just rotate the engine 180 degrees.

Sorry if this has already all been mentioned but I cant be bothered to read it all
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...Also if you did drive a standard gearbox the synchros would probably shit their pants.
Steve
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

synchros work the same whichever direction you run them, well they do in ford ib5 box anyway.

the only issue you may get is the way the gears are cut which may make it noisier in gear, possibly a bit clunky to engage also
3CorsaMeal

1st Feb 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember seeing the guy at works saxo engine and it was upside down.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 12 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics Jim or are you attempting to fuck up another fairly normal thread?
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an engine surely wouldnt run upside down due to the oil pic up in the sump?
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

davey - rather than rotating the engine we are pretty much set that moving the engine into the boot as is and roatating the gearbox would work best?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say rotateing the gearbox do you mean keep the engine all the same way. But just roll the gearbox over so it will in essance be upside down? With the diffpan at the top and the linkage at the bottom?

Wouldnt it be alot easier to just turn the engine and box around? So the gearbox is on the left instead of right? Would save trying to fab something to mount the box to the block iself wouldnt it?
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
davey - rather than rotating the engine we are pretty much set that moving the engine into the boot as is and roatating the gearbox would work best?

Turning the gearbox on the engine 180 degrees wont change the output direction? How in hell did you get to that conclusion? lol!
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....plus your diff will last all of 30 seconds with no oil
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rotating the engine will give 5 reverse gears..

Rotating the box will allow the shafts to sit I front of the engine which would work in the imp...

Hardest bit is The oil in the box would be upside down
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you understand me? There's a couple pics a few pages back
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you rotate just the gearbox though John?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

1st Feb 12 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer i get you. I thought you wanted 5 reverse gears haha. Could you not just move the engine back? Or is there not enough room? In that case yes rotating the box upside down would work but as pointed out there will be a massive lack of oil haha. Will you be makeing some kind of oil pump? Or just some type of squirter setup?
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure on how to fix the oil issue..

davey just make an adaptor plate
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rotating the box upside wouldnt change the way the shafts rotate.. Think about it
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..Even if it would work there are three massive flaws

1) Oil starvation
2) The innershaft would be aiming right at the head.
3) The engine would have to be mounted very low and the suspension very high..

Yes you are being a retard
Liam-Wilko

1st Feb 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

:S head's busting off this haha easiest way mate but prob the most costly trial and error if it works it dose if not then it dosnt

i wanted to put a B16 honda lump in a corsa but when considering it was going to cost a lot and a lot of work to put into but so i put the idea off i have still played on the idea but its something im going to consider at a later date
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
..Even if it would work there are three massive flaws

1) Oil starvation
2) The innershaft would be aiming right at the head.
3) The engine would have to be mounted very low and the suspension very high..

Yes you are being a retard

davey if we rotate the gearbox the shafts dont need to rotate backwards?, if we turn the engine 180 though then the car would have 5 reverse gears...

the imps suspension is suited to this way imo

DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So whats with the question about the engine running backwards?
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the whole engine was turned around then the car would have 5 reverse gears which i dont want..

bear with me ive been doing diagrams mate
DaveyLC

1st Feb 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are using the honda engine and box why would you turn the engine round? just stick it in the back facing the same way it does in the front.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 12 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey - look at my diagram for what he means.

Rotate the box around the input spline so the shafts are on the exhaust side of the engine then mount it in the car with the box on the left side, inlet facing you.
taylorboosh

1st Feb 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is a standard hillman imp set-up... the engines are expensive to tune for little gains and the trasaxles are weak... i want to get rid of this set up

this is a xe engine set up in a corsa or similar.... with the engine in this orientation you have 5 forward and one reverse gear.

now if we rotate the whole engine unit 180 degrees the engine will fit in the imp... the problem we face is the car will now have 5 reverse gears and one forward

if we mount the engine in the correct orientation then the shafts will turn the correct direction but will be on the wrong side of the engine. if the gearbox is flipped like in this pic then the shafts will be on the correct side, the issue now is the gearbox is upside down and will suffer oil starvation?

hope this clears things up

[Edited on 01-02-2012 by john-d]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » am i being a retard - how to mid mount? page 5 22 database queries in 0.0198140 seconds