corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » nearly fell off my chair after that quote

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author nearly fell off my chair after that quote
Ojc

User status: Offline
30th Mar 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I do, is buy genuine parts and get another bloke to fit them (usually Warren)

Knew that the radiator in the Clio was a Valeo one so went to a motorfactors and got one for half the price Renault wanted, same for the aux belt Renault only sell it in a full belt kit and wanted 70 quid so got a Gates one which is OE spec anyway for 10 quid.

There are ways around things without having to pay ridiculous main dealer prices but still maintaining the car at the highest level
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a how long is a piece of string question but at what point does it become economically less efficient to have a dealer or garage service your car. At some point, the value of having a FSH must be outweighed by the fact its an old or higher mileage car.

I'm only thinking that as mines done 1450k now and is worth <£3,500. is it worth having it serviced at all or would it just pay off to do it myself?
BarnshaW

30th Mar 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Bit of a how long is a piece of string question but at what point does it become economically less efficient to have a dealer or garage service your car. At some point, the value of having a FSH must be outweighed by the fact its an old or higher mileage car.

I'm only thinking that as mines done 1450k now and is worth <£3,500. is it worth having it serviced at all or would it just pay off to do it myself?

if my car had done nearly 1.5 million miles i would consider thinking of a new one
andy1868

30th Mar 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honda local to me were cunts too, they changed the timing belt on my integra then gave it back to me with a leaking rocker cover gasket. then claimed they hadn't removed the rocker cover to change the belt, despite having to take the cover off to change the belt. So either they were lying to be about the cover coming off or lying about having changed the belt. i don't know if they're still spouting their "happy honda" servicing plan but i was far from fucking happy, i'll tell you that for free

RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
quote:

if my car had done nearly 1.5 million miles i would consider thinking of a new one

typo, should have been 145k, got carried away. Seriously though, on a cheaper car, how much weight does a FSH actually have?
Joe

30th Mar 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck all imo. Just do it yourself if you can. Won't make a scrap of difference to the value.
bubble

30th Mar 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I understand completely why dealers cost what they do, and 90% of people still like to see the main dealer stamp, even I do and I wouldn't take my car to one.

You do not need a 'tech' to program the modules though.

John. You are incorrect. You do need a technician to repgramee the CAN lines. You have to in order go through every ecu and programme it based on the options of the vehicle. Right down the tyre size and even the tint of the window. Granted all the complex code is readily available however the tech builds up the programme spec list to suit the vehicle. There is a difference between enabling a function in an ecu like cruise control for example, than there is to tell the ecu to have the option available. But I presume as you flat out say a tech isn't needed that if you were given a tech2 a candy unit you could install and fit and programme some 30 ecu's correctly?
John

30th Mar 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could do it with my laptop but I could also do it using tech2 yes.
bubble

30th Mar 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I could do it with my laptop but I could also do it using tech2 yes.

Brilliant!
antnee

30th Mar 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Would rather spend that little more buying a car with service history than one without, especially if it was 10 years old.

Could make it easier to sell.

It will still have the history, its one service done by the owner instead of the dealer.

But 74k or every 5 or 10 years usually contains something major.

Anybody can check the colour of the oil.

You originally said a car will be worth more with service history, Fonz doing the work himself is still service history. Also as he said, its not really a 'major service'
Sunz

30th Mar 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
typo, should have been 145k, got carried away. Seriously though, on a cheaper car, how much weight does a FSH actually have?

I think it's minimal on a cheaper car.

If you had 2 cars that were for example 2003 model corsa's and one had full service history, maybe you would get £100 more ? after it's cost 1000s to get a FSH.
More for peace of mind I guess and not many people I think really bother with FSH on older, cheaper second hand cars.

RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, I'd probably do it right first time instead of overtorquing the oil filer onto the plasic mount, cracking the nut and dropping the guts of its oil for 2 weeks until we could get the part in at Jag to fix it.

Everything on the Jag is so fucking expensive with jag tax, might make sense to do it myself - especially as I might run it into the ground
Joe

30th Mar 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only a mondeo. Filters etc should be pretty cheap. Just don't go to jaguar for the bits.
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, that's the point really. Take it anywhere but backstreet garages and this piss is royally taken; I even provided all the bits last time and just got them to fit them as I wanted the stamp and didn't really have the time; then they over tightened the oil filter bracket and cracked the plastic nut so I pissed the contents of the sump out in less than a week. Shoudl have done it myself all along
John

30th Mar 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They probably overtightened it because you took the bits in.
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

family friend so I doubt it but possibly
Ojc

30th Mar 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They probably overtightened it because you took the bits in.

Get the arse when you ask for old filters back
Ben G

30th Mar 12 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
tbh, I'd probably do it right first time instead of overtorquing the oil filer onto the plasic mount, cracking the nut and dropping the guts of its oil for 2 weeks until we could get the part in at Jag to fix it.

Everything on the Jag is so fucking expensive with jag tax, might make sense to do it myself - especially as I might run it into the ground

as joe said, buy from ford rather than jaguar. my uncle bought a serviceable item for his jag and the exact same one for the mondeo (jag one even had a ford stamp on it) was a hell of a lot cheaper.
CORSA NUT

30th Mar 12 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe

Omg patronising? Coming from one of the biggest twats on here? Fucking rich that

Also show off bullshit?? How exactly? i just so happens to have done a lot in my personal and working life so I'm more than qualified to have an opinion. Take Vagcom for instance. I got all the gear and could 'diagnose' faults all by myself with no training.

Even the lads in work say they are techies and NOT mechanics. If there was ever an older car come in with a real problem then Steve (46 and a proper mechanic since he was 16) would have to do it as the other lads never had a clue.

And I'm talking from experience aswell, being an engineer and all, oh and a qualified spark.

I'm interested to know how I'm the biggest twat on here? I post a few times a week if that. Usually to offer sensible advice.

Also well done for working out to how open software. Thats like saying I could work on computers for opening a virus scanner?

I'm not interested in anything you have to say, well done on achieving a lot in life. You just have an issue with me for picking up on your weak attempt at trying to show of you were going to spend £30k on a car. How is your rs4 by the way?

Well when you do post, you post utter shite. Usually sarcastic few words sentences that are never helpful etc I can post examples if you like? Then again I have a life so I won't bother.

As for the RS4? Not coming anytime soon as I use a van for work now and we have a full spec qashqai for normal use. I own student properties in Liverpool which in about 2 years should net me 100k a year. So I'll just buy one then I think. Let's just leave it then and agree to disagree on the 'Technition vs Mechanic' debate. The fact I've serviced all of the 25 cars I've owned with no problems is my proof I know what I'm talking about.
BarnshaW

30th Mar 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

willy waving galore in here
CORSA NUT

30th Mar 12 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree barney but I only do it when I'm pushed. Bringing up a comment like the RS4 I think it needed explaining, and that's the reality! My business is still growing and when I'm happy it's we're it need to be i'll treat myself.

Ps I wear a Rolex (but drive a van)
Joe

31st Mar 12 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit weird how everyone who actually works in a garage and isn't just a valeter or delivery driver or whatever your input to the motor trade was picked up on you talking shit though ain't it.

And when you get a minute from your hectic lifestyle I'll be interested to see all this useless information I come up with.

Cheers
sc0ott

31st Mar 12 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I needs to get myself some student properties.
John

31st Mar 12 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd need to be taking in 2k a week for 100k a year, and that's before tax, that's a lot of student flats.

You'd need to be taking X times that unless you owned them all outright
Steve
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for SW Motors

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » nearly fell off my chair after that quote 22 database queries in 0.0187349 seconds