corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?
Matt L

User status: Offline
8th Nov 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John - "Completely outside of whether they are effective or not, can someone please tell me why it's only been in fashion recently, as in about 3 years max? "

because more people are driving now a day / more people rely on driving now a days / winter tyres are more available now a days and more people know about them now.

Jonny J - "You make it sound like the tyres will make the difference between life and death maybe if I'm driving next to a cliff or like an utter bell, but seeing as I don't do neither then the only improvement I see is a bit of improvement in stopping distances, hardly going to be a life and death thing. "

not stopping in time for somone pulling in front of you you could potentially be life or death, so tyres that stop you quicker is better.

barnshaw - "your basing that on it actually happening, fact is i have never hit a kerb because of road conditions in nearly 10 years driving? "

your basing on it not happenin , same risk of it happening and it not happening 50/50, winter tyres give you another thing to help reduce your chances of it happening

JonnyJ

8th Nov 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expect the Daily Mail to run a story saying that people without winter tyres are more likely to end up with cancer
John

8th Nov 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
John - "Completely outside of whether they are effective or not, can someone please tell me why it's only been in fashion recently, as in about 3 years max? "

because more people are driving now a day / more people rely on driving now a days / winter tyres are more available now a days and more people know about them now.

Than 3 or even 10 years ago. No.
JonnyJ

8th Nov 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Jonny J - "You make it sound like the tyres will make the difference between life and death maybe if I'm driving next to a cliff or like an utter bell, but seeing as I don't do neither then the only improvement I see is a bit of improvement in stopping distances, hardly going to be a life and death thing. "

not stopping in time for somone pulling in front of you you could potentially be life or death, so tyres that stop you quicker is better.

How many mph are these things scrubbing off they sounds more likely to kill you with whiplash
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
quote:
Originally posted by John
Brain washing seems to have worked quite well on here.

Mainly souther fairs that can't drive in winter anyways!

also alot of close minded people in here saying they arent worth it.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Brain washing seems to have worked quite well on here.

Mainly Southern fairies who can't drive in winter anyways! Anything South of Manchester comes to a standstill when cold comes!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Nov 12 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
can someone please tell me why it's only been in fashion recently, as in about 3 years max?
Production cars coming with progressively more unsuitable tyres as standard, plus a few bad winters.

Really not trying to convince anyone who has coped, just think to rubbish it without trying it is a bit silly.

I do think those in the tyre trade probably see it as a bit of an opportunity, do think its a marginal benefit and do think you can cope on what you normally do, I'm just not writing it off having not done it like you chaps.
John

8th Nov 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't stop in time for someone pulling out on you, you are going too fast, no matter what the conditions.
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

barnshaw - "your basing that on it actually happening, fact is i have never hit a kerb because of road conditions in nearly 10 years driving? "

your basing on it not happenin , same risk of it happening and it not happening 50/50, winter tyres give you another thing to help reduce your chances of it happening

No its not the same risk of it happening at all? we get maybe 4 days a year last few years where ice and snow was on the road , other then that my normall tyres have served me absolutely perfectly...
Jamie-C

8th Nov 12 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your only going to twat the curb if your driving beyond the limits. As much chance twating the curb in the summer as you do in the winter
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:

How many mph are these things scrubbing off they sounds more likely to kill you with whiplash

its not just about the speed your going what about the person that hits you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVIR0aXNPnw

pretty clear there is a big difference.

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by Matt L]
antnee

8th Nov 12 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
it is a massive expense though

you either have to fork out for some winter alloys or steelies and put tyres on, how much will that set you back?

then you have to pay someone or go through the hassle of putting your other wheels on when it gets warmer, even then with the unpredictable UK weather it might go cold again so you have to do it all again.

realistically they are not worth it.. yes they are probably massively beneficial but the amount of REAL days with dangerous road conditions (ice and snow) not just low temperatures is minimal

You don't have to buy another set of wheels.

Hassle of changing back to summer wheels it takes 10mins to swap a set of wheels
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 12 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a MASSIVE expense though.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you can't stop in time for someone pulling out on you, you are going too fast, no matter what the conditions.

That depends on the other driver's level of ignorance unless you expect us to pass every junction at 5 mph, reduced to 2 mph in poor conditions.
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
it is a massive expense though

you either have to fork out for some winter alloys or steelies and put tyres on, how much will that set you back?

then you have to pay someone or go through the hassle of putting your other wheels on when it gets warmer, even then with the unpredictable UK weather it might go cold again so you have to do it all again.

realistically they are not worth it.. yes they are probably massively beneficial but the amount of REAL days with dangerous road conditions (ice and snow) not just low temperatures is minimal

You don't have to buy another set of wheels.

Hassle of changing back to summer wheels it takes 10mins to swap a set of wheels

ok so you dont buy another set of wheels, you get new tyres then when you think the weathers better you go back to summer ones, how much is 4 x 18" winter tyres then?
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well a quick look online suggests a semi decent set of 225/40/18 will set you back £120 quid a corner, so fitting your looking at 500 quid all in for a set of tyres which will help you a couple of days a year, money well spent that.
antnee

8th Nov 12 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Sorry, but that is one of the stupid-ist things I have ever seen. So if you are doing 50mph in a NSL on a dry clear road and someone pulls out when you are 20m away you are going too fast?
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well a quick look online suggests a semi decent set of 225/40/18 will set you back £120 quid a corner, so fitting your looking at 500 quid all in for a set of tyres which will help you a couple of days a year, money well spent that.

i forgot that the low temps/frost/rain only last 4days... its not just snow that they helps in

out of interest what tyres do you currently have on your car?
BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

i forgot that the low temps/frost/rain only last 4days... its not just snow that they helps in

on that note can you answer me something then, do you wait for the first day it it goes below 5 degrees? what about next week when its 10 degrees do you switch back?
John

8th Nov 12 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Sorry, but that is one of the stupid-ist things I have ever seen. So if you are doing 50mph in a NSL on a dry clear road and someone pulls out when you are 20m away you are going too fast?

Yes. Every time. If something can pull out 20m in front of you and you can't stop or get out the way you are going too fast.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 12 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine, keep your tyres, I don't care, you won't crash in to me or get stuck in front of me, you live too far away.
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

on that note can you answer me something then, do you wait for the first day it it goes below 5 degrees? what about next week when its 10 degrees do you switch back?

no obviously not, tbf both years i have waited till my fronts were pretty much shot at before i change them to the winter tyres and i keep them on until the weather picks up and there are more days when the weather is good than bad.

basically to sum this up as i am going now.

you - never tried them, never will, must be a waste of time, happy to drive around with summer tyres on.

me - tried them, liked them, see them as a good investment as the benefits of them out weigh the costs for me.

you are never going to convince me that they arent worth it in the same way that I am not going to convince you they are worth it.

If i could i would quite happily buy you a set to try them to see if your opinion did change towards them but as they cost a fortune I sadly cant afford to.
Matt L

8th Nov 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes. Every time. If something can pull out 20m in front of you and you can't stop or get out the way you are going too fast.

John

8th Nov 12 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure what you are laughing at. Not my fault you can't drive.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Nov 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scary thing is you actually believe that your driving somehow compensates for having the wrong tyres.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them? 23 database queries in 0.0148890 seconds