corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How far would £1,000,000 get you?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How far would £1,000,000 get you?
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
26th Jul 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The winnings aren't taxable no but having a million in savings you'll be paying a lot of tax
John

26th Jul 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Most people on here have no idea about what money brings and what effect it has on your life.

I'd have no stress etc?? I can assure you you'd have stress but of a completely different kind.

Money changes your life completely and if you're not willing to change with it, or don't have the mental strength to cope with it you can be back to square one in a worse shape than when you began. Most of the time with far less friends and family around you.

But good luck tonight anyway

Winning money is not stressful.

Stupid people who have no money and don't know how to deal with it will blow it all and end up worse off.

Back to the poor mindset, just blow it on shit. Its not difficult to make some sensible choices.
CORSA NUT

26th Jul 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you know what's stressful and what's not until you've experienced it exactly?? Until it happens, like most things in life you don't have any idea how you will react
3CorsaMeal

26th Jul 13 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would buy a plot and build a house through work. Wouldn't go for a super car as pretty much got one already.
DaSess

26th Jul 13 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked my ticket, and my alarms set for half 8 in morning ready for my 10 o'clock start (12 hour shift). Think I don't need to say no more on that.
Jay

26th Jul 13 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't wanna check, keep the dream alive ha
RichR
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd finish the house I'm in now and let my kid sister live there rent free for as long as she likes so approx. £25k
I'd put the deposits down on another 6 flats to compliment the 4 I've already got so £120k plus £30k renovation costs on the flats would leave me with £825k for me.

I wouldn't tell anyone, I'd leave my job, spend a season in mammoth being a snowboard bum and working for peanuts in a bar so it just looked like I'd had a breakdown or early midlife crisis. Then come home with money in the bank, marry the missus, buy a house, live off the rental incomes (less mortgage payments) and send the missus off to work as she earns more than me anyway.
Carl

27th Jul 13 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easier to make money when you have it. A few good choices and you'd be set for life.
Russ

27th Jul 13 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I'd finish the house I'm in now and let my kid sister live there rent free for as long as she likes so approx. £25k
I'd put the deposits down on another 6 flats to compliment the 4 I've already got so £120k plus £30k renovation costs on the flats would leave me with £825k for me.

I wouldn't tell anyone, I'd leave my job, spend a season in mammoth being a snowboard bum and working for peanuts in a bar so it just looked like I'd had a breakdown or early midlife crisis. Then come home with money in the bank, marry the missus, buy a house, live off the rental incomes (less mortgage payments) and send the missus off to work as she earns more than me anyway.
last bit
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexSXI
£2k a month isn't a lot of income

Its also taxable.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Lottery is tax free? Does it accrue tax when put in savings then?

The tax is on the income, so any interest payments which would give you gain on top of the original amount invested.

Not much because with no other income the interest payments would be probably half covered by your tax code, but its not free money.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jul 13 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1m would be life changing for me because it would allow me to further grow my business ventures.

No chance I'd be buying fancy stuff with it, soon learnt when I left a salaried job that the more you have, the less you will have.

I could have it spent within a year, and earning back probably 200k pa from that point forward.

Still need some losses like mortgages and car payments to offset the tax, but it would completely and utterly change my life. I'd go from a sole trader invoicing out assistance ad hoc to turning up at work in my RRS and reading the reports from each department about how much they're smashing it that week.

Carry on working - yes.

Having the same attitude to work - no way.
harrisp

27th Jul 13 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd plan to buy a house,car rental properties etc but tbh I'm shit with money so id end up wasting it probably
Nath

27th Jul 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Most people on here have no idea about what money brings and what effect it has on your life.

I'd have no stress etc?? I can assure you you'd have stress but of a completely different kind.

Money changes your life completely and if you're not willing to change with it, or don't have the mental strength to cope with it you can be back to square one in a worse shape than when you began. Most of the time with far less friends and family around you.

But good luck tonight anyway

Winning money is not stressful.

Stupid people who have no money and don't know how to deal with it will blow it all and end up worse off.

Back to the poor mindset, just blow it on shit. Its not difficult to make some sensible choices.

Winning money wouldn't stress me out in the slightest.
Toby
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can honestly the headache of choosing the lambo or the Ferrari each morning would stress me slightly.
Nath

27th Jul 13 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which Omega watch to buy?! This is so stressful!! Which Caribbean island do I visit first?! Argggh. I wish I hadn't win this now.
Eck
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd give it to Whittie to invest on plus 500.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pay of my mortgage, new cars for family, few nice holidays with family / friends, maybe a house to let, keep working but obviously £600p/m better off having no mortgage.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Gaz

27th Jul 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

secure a roof over my families head would be my priority, then I would invest/look to buy a business to sustain an income. £1m is a hell of a lot of money, but money burns quickly.
tom130691
Premium Member

27th Jul 13 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nobody wants to buy corsasport :O
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 05:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gone in a week
Colin

28th Jul 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could live off the interest semi retired quite easily I think.

Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jul 13 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
nobody wants to buy corsasport :O

We're talking about making the money last, not spending it on poor investments.
Dom

28th Jul 13 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Could live off the interest semi retired quite easily I think.

I'm not sure how you could. Even at 2% (rate given by Generation; which is a bit high for a current account, most tend to be ~1%), you'll only make around ~£20k a year on a million which is bugger all in the grand scheme of retiring. And most savings accounts, even fixed term, aren't exactly brilliant (3/4% etc) and then you're taxed on it.

Best bet is to invest and hope to quintuple or decuple the million, at which point the interest made every year is enough to reliably retire on.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jul 13 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd probably be able to cut your outgoings though.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How far would £1,000,000 get you? 23 database queries in 0.0150778 seconds