corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » M4 teaser

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author M4 teaser
Jambo

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont understnad why companies are not offering manual options. I cant see the business sense behind it, is it emissions or something like that?

Cant see basic, cheaper tech and charging a similar amount for it being a bad idea? At least the option would be good as I would imagine it will put some off, allthough personally I would have the latter flappy paddle option it seems odd not to give people the choice.

Same with Clio RS, GT3 etc
John

22nd Aug 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that's an issue outside of elite driving forums anyway.

They are selling more than ever, same as with the million models.

The majority of people just don't care. Does it have the ZF gearbox that everyone raves about?
ed

22nd Aug 13 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris Harris put the argument forward that not having a manual GT3 would be alienating a small minority of hardcore fans (who should just be driving 996's and 997's really) and opening up the car to a much wider audience who might look elsewhere if the car was manual only. The same theory applies to the Clio at a guess and the cost of running two transmission options could hurt profits.

I think the real reason manufacturers are putting these gearboxes into their cars is to eliminate the driver from fucking things up. Emissions standards are getting more stringent so it's harder and harder to produce something fun to drive, but is green enough to sell. I suppose the good news is that a lot of cars are getting double clutch gearboxes now which are (probably) better than an old fashioned H box.
ed

22nd Aug 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But as said, the M4 rumour was squashed pretty quickly:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879669
Jambo

22nd Aug 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can certainly buy the Clio argument for above. It is clear that the hardcore halo hot hatch model with pure gearbox and N/A engine has been replaced with a turbo small block with a flappy paddle gearbox and 5doors has alienated basically everyone who bought a 172/182/197/200 but opened it up to a mass market...

Id say though whilst that makes business sense, the only model in their range they haven't struggled to sell in huge numbers has been culled and the halo image removed, in my eyes is completely stupid.
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Harris also made the point that anyone who says 'I prefer a car with a manual' and uses motorsport as a reason is a moron.

He drove the Clio 200T cup racer and compared the DCT to the Sadev unit in the race car (I know...) saying that if anything, it'll mean that people like it as they an liken their car to a race car.

The racers prefer paddles as it means more control, the public are wrong, essentially.
John

22nd Aug 13 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outside of the elite, not worrying about changing gears probably means they can drive the car faster.
Jambo

22nd Aug 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With SMG and I would assume many others like DSG, it gives you tweo gearboxes in one. An auto and a manual. So depending on the situation/time they are better than one permanent option.

Plus as computers are changing gear they last longer. People are quick to slate E36 SMG as being a nightmare. But nobody has even seen 6th gear syncro problems in an SMG unlike MOST 70k+ E36 M3 Manuals.....
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Aug 13 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Clio DCT is like SMG, so is the BMW one
Graham88

22nd Aug 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manual all the way. I'm sure these boxes make you faster etc but I just prefer the bigger feeling of control you get with a manual box
Ben G

22nd Aug 13 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you not convert yours to smg, graham?

It wouldn't bother me. As said, flappy paddles would make you feel like a race car driver and gives you bragging points. 99% of people would think it's cool.

Also, no chance to fuck up a gear change, like i've done a few times recently whilst driving tired.
ed

22nd Aug 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No chance of invalidating your Porsche warranty on the PDK cars either
Graham88

23rd Aug 13 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Did you not convert yours to smg, graham?

It wouldn't bother me. As said, flappy paddles would make you feel like a race car driver and gives you bragging points. 99% of people would think it's cool.

Also, no chance to fuck up a gear change, like i've done a few times recently whilst driving tired.

Na mate, SMG cars are still a manual gearbox, I just swapped the bellhousings and used the gears from the SMG box.

We use our cars for different purposes though to be fair. If I didn't enjoy trackdays I'd maybe consider an auto box more. DSG in the VW's is bloody awesome
morpheus22

23rd Aug 13 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lovely car ........bar the wheels they look gash

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » M4 teaser 22 database queries in 0.0133071 seconds