corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  40    41    42    43    44    45    46  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Oct 13 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye it wasn't bad - the green native filter just made it a bit hard to see in the daylight/sunshine.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

12th Oct 13 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good vid that and great vid. I'm thinkin on doin a track day at knockhill in November. Are the r888s really that much better in the dry than the street tyres???
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Oct 13 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes...yes they are.
AndyCorsaSport

12th Oct 13 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes they are. When I did croft with my mate, both in 106's, both had same Gaz coilovers, both had Brembo 4 pots, both polybushed, same wheels etc. only thing different I had T1R's, he had 888's. Had a hell of a lot more grip than me! And we swapped cars too to both have a go of each other's on track
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Oct 13 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
Good vid that and great vid. I'm thinkin on doin a track day at knockhill in November. Are the r888s really that much better in the dry than the street tyres???

As those two said... yes, but I can't honestly say I've exploited them properly yet due to the wet running at Cadwell, and only had one dry session to ramp up confidence etc.

My main driver for buying them was just to give me a track-dedicated set of wheels/tyres so I always knew I'd have legal tyres to get to work with on monday! They just happened to have R888's on, could have been anything.

I braved the rain today to do some tinkering. Didn't take many (any) pictures because it was cold and damp, and I was a bit hungover so not in the mood... also had been up since 5am for the F1

First job was to set the rear ARB to "medium" from "soft". Piece of cake.

Next job I'd been debating for some weeks but I've finally made my mind up. I removed the CL brake pads which I bought for Cadwell and am going to use my "road" pads over winter. The CL brake pads are awesome, but squeeky... and they're getting on my tits. It's only light braking which causes it, so pretty much a non-issue on a track day.

I'll refit them about a week before my first 2014 track day, so it gives me time to get some deposits down on the discs and re-bed them in.

Final job, treated myself to some new wipers...

Never thought I'd spend so much on wipers, but they're pretty epic.

Had a test drive just to make sure the car stopped etc, which it did - no squeaks, winner.

I wasn't for a minute expecting to feel ANY difference from the rear ARB change, at least not until pushing on track etc. It has however fundamentally changed the way the car feels, even when just cruising at a moderate speed around bends

I left the front one set to hard, but it really feels like I need to soften it up now. When accelerating through a corner it feels like my front suspension is "skipping" a little bit and just getting unloaded at the wrong time.

I'll probably alter the front settings tomorrow, I'm in indoors mode now for today.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 13 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set the front ARB to soft this morning, so I'm now running Soft-F and Medium-R.

I'm getting used to spending big money for little gains, but swapping these four bolts has seriously transformed the car - even on gentle backroad runs in the pouring rain.

I wish that Cadwell was a full dry day, and that I made this change during the lunch break - I'm pretty sure the difference on track will be amplified.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

13th Oct 13 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are those wipers not 50 quid or something silly? Think gav bought them for his motor and raves about them.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 13 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it came to £45 for the pair aye.

Seems like they've got some kind of rain-x coating on them, not sure how long that feature will last though.

Need to not destroy these the first time we get a frost this year

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

13th Oct 13 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I have the flat blade version of them. Never been so impressed by wiper blades
BeetleGav

13th Oct 13 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because they are made from silicone and not rubber they leave a silicone coat over the screen.
I've had mine on since about March and they still work the same. At higher speeds you can turn the wipers off completely and the water beads off
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Postman delivered me a nice sexy present from CDF Racing today, a three port catch-can:

It comes with a wee air filter so that the fumes just vent into the engine bay, but I may alter this with a hose to dump it out somewhere in the transmission tunnel if cabin fumes become a problem. It's also got a wee level-gauge inspection tube which I think is pretty neat.

The black base has got a recessed bolt hole in it so I can bolt that down somewhere (behind the battery is looking likely) and then the sealed unit just screws into the base. The "tap" for dumping out the oil is within the base:

With the stock setup, the two head breathers (or whatever they're called) are Tee'd together by the black bars which you can see in front of the TMIC:

So if I understand right, those black bars will be coming out - with each head breathing directly into two of the catch can inputs. The third will come from the PCV which lives under the TMIC itself.

I last had the TMIC off when searching for whistles, early this year. It had a nice gunky lining of oil back then - so I'll be sure to give it a good clean before reinstalling, as it should stay that way now.

[Edited on 16-10-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered some 16mm internal diameter silicone caps to block off the intake, and also my order today included 3M of black hosing to plumb it all together.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

16th Oct 13 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just block off the PCV (8mm fitting from memory). The PCV is where fumes go, not where they come from.

I should have a pic or two somewhere...

Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current setup if I remember right has a hose going from PCV to the turbo inlet pipe, so I'd remove that pipe and block off the hole on the inlet pipe, then I'd run a hose from the PCV to the catch-can.

That's the way I understood it anyway, but I shall appreciate muchos pictures to help me on my way

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

16th Oct 13 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
8mm bung to replace one way breather valve (that I had blocked off anyway)

cleaned and masked

basically you want to block the bit where the fumes go = PCV and inlet

Vent the rest
AK

16th Oct 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you vent the PCV it wont do anything other than breath IN fumes from the catch can....

The PCV takes fumes from a breather on the block. FWD right of the turbo. There is a Y pipe here from memory that splits to inlet and PCV
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I see what you mean now

It seems you can either blank the PCV (like you did) or just 'T' the catch-can host in after the existing 'T' which splits to inlet and PCV, so you retain the PCV but don't dump fumes back into the inlet.

What's the benefit of blanking the PCV vs retaining it in this scenario?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I googled it, found the following:

quote:
The original PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)system does indeed do some good for the engine by ensuring the corrosive gasses are removed from the crankcase and replaced by fresh filtered air.
The Subaru system has two main phases depending on manifold pressure/vacuum.
Under manifold vacuum conditions (probably 99% of the engines life) there is a non return valve under the throttle body, which allows the 'blow by' vapours to be drawn into the manifold. The vapours are replaced from the vents on the cam covers, supplied from the inlet duct. This provides the circulation of air through the engine, prevents condensation, oil contamination and internal corrosion.
This is indeed a good thing and there is a strong case to retain this system if the car is a daily driver.

Under positive manifold boost conditions, the non return valve under the throttle body closes and the hot 'blow by' gasses (Note - 'blow by' tends to be a cool vapour at low power but a hot gas at high power) are re-routed via a 't' piece to the intake duct for reconsumption by the engine. The cam cover vents may also vent out during this phase.
This is where you can get oil suspended in the gasses finding its way into the induction system......this is a bad thing ! The oil coats the intercooler, reducing efficiency and causes premature det due to lowering the octane of the fuel.

It is possible to 'catch' the suspended oil in a 'catch can' This is a reservoir deigned to reduce the velocity of the gasses, allowing the oil to fall out of suspension. The oil collects in the bottom of the can and the oil free gasses carry on to be either reconsumed by the engine or vented to atmosphere. The catch can will ideally intercept all 3 vent lines although the main culprit on the Subaru would appear to be the central crankcase vent.

With that in mind, since mine is a daily... I guess retaining the PCV is wise.

My understanding of the current layout:

With the catch can:

Correcto?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

16th Oct 13 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pmsl at the cats tongue. What a legde!
3CorsaMeal

16th Oct 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I honestly want a cat after seeing yours in these pics.
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get one, they're epic.

Low maintenance, don't really smell and bags of personality.

And complete cam whores

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol Cat in the last pic is like "mmm that's one sexy catch can"
AK

16th Oct 13 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the PCV takes air IN....

Its a one way valve......

Those 'corrosive' gasses will now be going into your inlet manifold (they were before anyway).... and lowering the octane of your fuel... in extreme cases.

Just blank the PCV.

[Edited on 16-10-2013 by AK]
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright alright, 8mm then yeah?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

17th Oct 13 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye, can prob get one in B&Q. 8mm cap - stop end.

<<  40    41    42    43    44    45    46  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0274282 seconds