corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Ben G

User status: Offline
18th Nov 13 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with chris here. Used to love doing it but I started to get really annoyed when I polished and waxed the car a few weeks back.

Far too much bother.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Nov 13 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easier than painting half of it every few weeks tbh.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need banning from the internet.

Impulse bought:

It's a TD05 20G which has been tinkered with by the late Harvey Smith. Expected to spool up about 500rpm later than my current VF35, but should hold the boost and power much later.

It'll be some months before it enters my engine bay, as I'll be collecting the following to go with it:

Ported headers & up-pipe
Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Clutch
Front Mount Intercooler

Should be good for 400bhp when it's all on and mapped.

I'm pretty sure I could swap the turbo, fit a FMIC and do the injectors - but doing the clutch on the drive is a no-chance and I'd need it all mapping anyway, so thinking this will be an expensive labour affair too which needs factoring in.

As I'll have the turbo lying around for a while, I'll probably use the opportunity to send it off for an inspection somewhere and discuss options for a billet compressor wheel upgrade which should make it more responsive too.

[Edited on 21-11-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

21st Nov 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BarnshaW

21st Nov 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice buy, you dont need injectors, clutch though.

Mine was at that sort of power on standard clutch for over 20k miles, was fine till the day i sold it even with many launches lol.

550 injectors will go well past 400 with a decent FPR.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Barnshaw.

Good point on the clutch, mine is fine as it is - but it was more a precautionary thing. Knowing my luck I'd get all the shit bolted on, get the mapper in the car and then have the clutch burn out whilst the car is being mapped

I'll see how I feel closer to the installation date, but if I struggle to get it all funded before summer kicks in (and hence some track time) the clutch will be the first thing to go.

Injectors & FPR needs more research. I gather it's a case of either/or with ~400bhp rather than needing both.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You had HS headers/up-pipe right? Think I'll try to get hold of those too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

21st Nov 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clutch will be fine i imagine mate, no point changing it as you might get tens of thousands of miles out of it still!

i managed 390 on standard injectors on standard fpr! mapped by JGM, with aftermarket FPR pretty sure people have gone well up to 450.

I had hayward and scott headers and up-pipe, couldnt recommend them enough as the quality was spot on, would have definitely gone for ported standard headers as next choice though, will be a nice setup once you got it all on.

is turbo a billet wheel? if not could be worth considering whilst out.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Nov 13 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair point, I'll probably knock the clutch on the head for now then. (it'll start slipping on my way to work tomorrow)

Nah it's not billet but already been talking to someone about getting it done.

£200 including return shipping to get it billet converted, not sure if that's good or not. He reckons to expect 15-20bhp more peak with a billet compressor wheel and faster spool, so sounds like a no-brainer.

I've also got AET Turbo's quite local so might see what they can do.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

22nd Nov 13 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beast now the 'proper' updates are happening
P1NKY

22nd Nov 13 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scooby clutch on the floor is doable mate trust me been there done that
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Nov 13 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I'm sure it's possible, but no chance I'm giving it a go

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

22nd Nov 13 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Oh I'm sure it's possible, but no chance I'm giving it a go

you got a spare car
daymoon
Premium Member

22nd Nov 13 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd lend you some more axle stands and a pair of hands
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got four stands already, but as Barnshaw said - probably can get away without a clutch for now. We'll see

Postman brought the turbo on Saturday morning, looks fine - shaft has a tiny bit of play in it, not sure if it's within acceptable tolerances but it'll be refurbed before seeing the car anyway.

Been talking to a guy, think I'm going to go with a billet compressor wheel and have it ceramic coated in black

Postie also brought me a surprise, it's a surprise because I forgot that I ordered it

Whiteline steering rack bush kit.

My steering had a bit of a deadzone, was a bit vague for minor adjustments at speed and stuff like this - so bought this kit to try and address some of that.

Saturday was dry, so used it as an opportunity to wash, clay, polish and wax the car with my winter LSP - the AngelWax AG. I had the car all masked up for machine polishing but it was just too cold for my Sonus Restore to break down properly, so abandoned the DA after two panels and hand polished with Meg's Ultimate.

Light had faded by the time I finished, so no photographs but you've all seen a clean car before.

Couldn't resist with the morning beading today though

After a breakfast of champions and catching up on Saturdays' XFactor, decided to see about these bushes.

Undertray off again, and also a chassis brace looking thingy. Had a million bolts holding it on, some of which were damn stiff - so rattlegun to the rescue. One of the best purchases I've made to date, its' really earning it's pay.

My targets for the day, big round one on the left and two little ones under that brace type thing:

aaaand out:

Whiteline provided a removal tool, very handy and saved me slicing my hands on an old gasket again...

Old (top) vs New:

In order to get clearance to pop the "half bush" in on the top side, I needed to loosen the bracket which held the splines in from the steering column - but luckily I was able to find enough clearance without disconnecting it completely (hence no concern for steering wheel alignment).

Got everything bolted back together, car down and took for a test drive. No difference to be felt at slow speed, but the benefit of this kit immediately apparent once above 30mph. Did some crazy slaloming on the backroads and some subtle tweaks at speed - the deadzone is very much reduced, maybe even gone completely - it's barely noticeable regardless.

Happy days, hopefully taking the car on a Holiday next weekend to get the suspension all (finally) setup correctly.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

25th Nov 13 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a 20G (non billet) on my car a few years back. Solid, reliable turbo Was running around 380-390bhp on my 2.1 with lumpy cams and headwork.

Looked a bit different to yours from memory.

Exhaust - I use Lateral headers on both cars, with Revolution downpipes on both too
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found some old posts from Harvey, he did two 20g's apparently - the hs2714P like mine and hs2814p, but can't find any info on the diffferences however I'm guessing that something measures 70mm on one, and 80mm on the other based on the numbering

I did read something about an 80mm XXX being more suitable for the 2.5l engine and 70mm for the 2.0, but can't remember what

I understand that the HS fettled ones have got ported exhaust port and an uprated w/g actuator over the standard TD0520G, and of course a billet compressor wheel when I've finished with it.

Hoping it ends up being about as responsive as my VF35 and more importantly reliable, I'm hoping/planning to run without a DV/Recirc (CHAV) once I put a new turbo on - so needs to be able to tolerate that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just pulled in at home after my (7mile) commute home and saw coolant temp was at max

Popped the bonnet to see coolant pissing out of the bottom of the radiator, or at least I think it is.

Radiator was new back in January, fitted by Richard Henry Auto's so got on the blower and they said if I can blag an AA tow, they'll make sure it's swapped under warranty.

AA coming to "see if they can fix it" first thing tomorrow, then hopefully I can talk them into taking me to Bradford.

Hopefully no damage has been done running the engine hot

Only had the undertray off yesterday, with no sign of leaks - and at the rate it's coming out it must have burst on the way home just now, otherwise it would be bone dry by now. I reckon it'll be empty before 180.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

25th Nov 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not good mate i hope its a simple fix
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swapping the rad should be easy, only expecting to have to pay labour and the coolant to fill it - surely a Rad shouldn't burst after 10months...

Just hoping I've not caused any damage.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian W

25th Nov 13 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Swapping the rad should be easy, only expecting to have to pay labour and the coolant to fill it - surely a Rad shouldn't burst after 10months...

Just hoping I've not caused any damage.

Wouldn't expect to pay anything, they should be reimbursed by the manufacturer of the radiator as it has gone under warranty.
Ben G

25th Nov 13 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worse reliability than bmw's

Thats shit luck kyle had a coolant leak at work once but luckily it was only 10 minutes away.

How far away is the place it needs to go to? Can't you bodge it and fill it up with water to get you there?
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40miles to the garage so would rather not risk it. Judging by the rate at which it was leaking, it'll easily empty within 40miles.

Garage asked me to prevent the AA from any temp repair attempts as it may screw up the warranty.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

25th Nov 13 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shiiite
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been ratting around for work all night so not had time to really go outside and have a look. Just checked in the header tank and it's barren. Undertray looks soaked from the top down although nothing on the drive, so looks like I lost most of it on the drive home!

Been googling AA Ts and Cs all night between work stuff, really not sure I'll get away with a free tow to Bradford. What's the going rate for a tow truck per mile?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0294869 seconds