corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » *Battlefield 3 news and banter thread*

New Poll
  <<  44    45    46    47    48    49    50  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author *Battlefield 3 news and banter thread*
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jun 11 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
We got to play one round as attackers and one round as defenders on the Rush game mode(destroy/defend a number of objectives in order on a narrow map). It was 16vs16, give or take. Each round was approximately 20 minutes.

The Map
The map was Operation Metro(I think that's the name). It takes place in and around a part of the Paris metro. Russia is defending and the USMC are attacking.
The first stage of the map is a park with a pond or small lake, lots of bushes, some trees, low walls, park benches and stuff like that. The USMC gets a LAV-25, the rest is pure infantry. This is the most sniper/scope friendly part as it's quite open and has engagement ranges from a few meters up to probably around 100m. It looks nice and it's in my opinion a good idea to have something different before heading into the metro.

The second stage takes place down in the metro itself, and is accessed from the park area through a collapsed tunnel which in turn leads into the station where the objectives are. There's lots of CQB action with the attackers having to force their way through the tunnels(giggidy), up some escalators and on to clearing rooms and corridors. Some parts of the tunnels are dark and sneaky, so the weapon lights can both help you and get you killed depending on how and when you use them.

The final part spans from the station exit/entrance on the other side and a bit into the city itself. This part is urban with a few smallish streets and some enterable multi-storage buildings leading down to a sort of square area where the final objectives are. If the first part is long range and the second is close I would say this part is medium-ish in range. Lot's of people sitting in windows covering the streets. RPGs come in handy to blow the campers away.

Overall the map is very linear and feels designed for Rush from the start. The mix of longer range combat at the park, followed by intense CQB action in the tunnels and station and finally some street fighting adds some nice variety. It would be interesting to know how accurate the map is compared to the real thing.

Kits
The kit layouts were something like this. No limitations.
USMC
Assault - M16A4(4x scope), M9, Frag Grenade, Medic Box, Defibrillator
Engineer - M4(ironsight+weapon light), M9, Frag Grenade, SMAW, Repair Tool
Support - M249(4x scope), M9, Frag Grenade, Ammo Box
Recon - M110(bit more powerful scope, dont know exactly), M9, Frag Grenade, C4
RUS
Assault - AK74M(4x scope), MR-444, Frag Grenade, Medic Box, Defibrillator
Engineer - AKS-74U(ironsight+weapon light), MR-444, Frag Grenade, RPG7, Repair Tool
Support - Pecheneg(4x scope), MR-444, Frag Grenade, Ammo Box
Recon - SVD(bit more powerful scope, dont know exactly), MR-444, Frag Grenade, C4

Random stuff
Sprint. There seemed to be unlimited stamina. You can strafe(slightly) while sprinting, which is pretty nice.
Weapon lights. Can be turned on/off via a hotkey(L). Blinds people at close range. Other player's lights are seen as a glowing dot at long range.
Vaulting. When approaching an obstacle you can press space to climb/jump over it. This seemed to work on everything I tried it on. You can not fire while the animation plays(around 1 second). Jumping is still ingame if for some reason the vaulting isn't working on something.
Deviation. Deviation feels pretty good for a vanilla game. As always it's stance-dependant. When hipfiring it's accurate enough to take out people close to you, but that's it. When aiming down the sights you can kill people at range quite effectively. Snipers/marksmen are most accurate, assault rifles are in the middle and undeployed machine guns last, however deployed machine guns felt more or equally accurate as assault rifles. When jumping you get maximum deviation, and it takes a second or two to settle again. When going prone you get this animation thing that moves your view around a bit, but the crosshair stays tight. I tried it against a spot on the wall, and since the animation is not random it's easy to compensate and fire at the intended spot while going prone. So prone diving works pretty much. However it may just be that they haven't added the deviation increase when going prone yet.
Deploying weapons. Machine guns can be deployed on most surfaces like walls, windows and different kinds of cover, as well as when being prone. When prone or standing/crouching next to a deployable surface you just right click once and you fold out the bipod. That locks your weapon to the surface and you can swivel around the bipod itself(which looks nice) in a limited arc(100-ish degrees maybe, it could be dependant on the surrounding objects). You can fire via the crosshair or scope in for added accuracy. To un-deploy you just move away from the position.
Rockets. The two rocket weapons on this map were both unguided, and seemed to be fairly accurate with not much drop. Explosion radius was enough to kill guys at maybe 1-2m but nothing extreme(BC2 CG, I'm looking at you).
Squadleader. There were 1 SL per 4 man squad. There was no squad selection/creation menu(yet?) so it appeared to be random for now. The SL was the only player in the squad you could spawn on.
Commo-rose. No commo-rose or communication tool to be seen anywhere. Probably not implemented yet. At the closed presentation we were on before the play test the devs there got asked if BF3 would have a commo-rose a la BF2 or a context sensitive key a la BC2(which means one key, and depending on what you're looking at/doing it gives a different message). He said the commo-rose is awesome, but was prone to causing spam in BF2. He couldn't give a full answer due to the marketing plans they have(gameplay details/news to come at GamesCon btw), but I interpreted the rest of his somewhat dodgy reply as that they were aiming for something in between the commo-rose and the BC2 system.
Spawning. You could spawn on either the team's main spawn or your SL. When having the SL selected your camera spectates him until you spawn. I spawn killed a few guys and spawned too close to the action a few times myself when using the team spawn, so we'll see if they improve this somewhat. Spawn time was a few seconds as always.
Melee. Melee is BC2 style, i.e. a melee key and no knife in the inventory. I never got to melee anyone(sadface) but my friend got one and said it triggered some animation where he grabbed the enemy and slit his throat in a cinematic fashion. Unknown if it's always like that or only in some situations. I personally hate being helpless because I have to spend several seconds caught in a knifing animation with no way to abort. Edit; according to the internets I might have missed there actually being a knife weapon slot, dunno. Would be nice though.
Damage. Rifles seemed to kill in around 4-5 shots. LMGs felt the same. Snipers(or marksmen really) in 2-3 shots. This is all non-headshot. So somewhere in between vanilla BC2 and BC2 hardcore.
Hit Detection. The hit detection felt solid and I didn't notice any shenanigans, but it was a local LAN game after all. Edit; I've been told by people from DH crew that the game was in fact not on LAN only, which is a good sign that it's solid.
Sounds. The sounds were very nice. Really. A bit less cinematic than BC2(which is good in my opinion), and more sharp, snappy or crisp than many other games. Having been in the army and hearing different weapons first hand, I wouldn't go as far as saying the sounds are fully realistic, but they are pretty good. And as always there were echo and other sound simulation effects that changed depending on the location.
Medicing. Press 3 to throw a medic box on the ground, which in turn heals people in a radius around it. Press 4 to pull out the defibrillators, then use them on a dead guy to revive. When being revived you start prone, and you're blurry and unarmed for a second or two. It would also appear that you don't auto-heal to full health, more like 80-90% or something.
Vehicles. There were only one vehicle on the map, and I didn't get to use it. It went down real quick seeing as half the team was playing as engineer because of the ironsight weapon the class got. However my friend managed to get in a LAV-25 that was stuck(lulz), and he reports that the driver/gunner position is shared as always and that thermal vision can be activated via right click.
Fire selector. You could switch between single, burst or automatic fire depending on the weapon type by pressing V. Not much to say really, it works and can be nice to have although I prefer running on auto and doing manual single fire.
Destruction. The destruction felt a bit toned down from BC2. You blow parts off of walls and most other stuff, but it took some more shooting. When I fired an RPG at a guy in a window, it left a hole approximately 2x2 meters in the wall. I never got to see a building collapse. Overall you could notice that the destruction was there, but it didn't feel like it was the main focus of the game, like in BC2. Less gimmick and more gameplay.
HUD. The HUD can be seen in videos and stuff like that, so I won't go into detail. But generally it felt pretty unobtrusive and it showed the important stuff. The minimap was decent, but not perfect - I'd personally prefer a more map-like one over the stylish one. And there was no way to bring up a big map. However they keep insisting, like so many other new games, to block my view with these damn score popups.
Quote:Originally Posted by The Game
YOU KILLED [player]
+10 KILLING A DUDE
+5 HEADSHOT
+1 NOT KILLING YOURSELF
+20 NOT SEEING ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THIS

Suppression. There is some form of suppression implemented in the game, but my vision didn't get impaired every time I got shot at - more like just a few times. Likewise, I only got points for suppressing(yes, you do get that..) after killing a guy a few times despite me killing a lot of guys. I'm not sure what's going on here, but if you can't suppress people every time by shooting at them I fail to see the point. Gimmick or bug?
Mods. They got asked about mod tools at the presentation, and like we already know there are currently no plans for them. They will look into it post-release, whatever that means
Reloading. This is a nice one. If you still have a round in the chamber and press reload, you do a quick reload and just put in a new mag, while if you're completely empty the animation is longer because you need to chamber a new round. Because of this 31 rounds of ammo in total is possible(30+1). Strange thing is that you spawn with that as well - I'd like to see 29+1 as default.
Animations. Animations looked really nice. Reloads were fairly accurate and the running/climbing stuff looked motion capped or at least equally realistic.
E-Sport. They were very secretive, but they hinted at them doing more for E-Sport with BF3 than with previous titles. For me, being a competitive clan player since BF1942, this is awesome news if true.
Servers. There will be dedicated servers. No word on if it's only through GSPs, but unfortunately I find that likely given the current trend among games.
Scopes. The scopes were in 3D and looked nice, but they zoomed the whole screen and not just the area in the sight :/
Prone. It's prone. You're crawling on the ground. Bit nicer movement animations than previous games though.
Ammo. The support class can throw an ammo box on the ground by pressing 3(or 4) which then re-supplies everyone in range. It disappears after a while and the player gets a new one.
Graphics. It looked kinda like in the trailers, albeit a bit smudgy or something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's possible that they had it turned down slightly for gameplay purposes, since a pre-alpha game isn't fully optimized yet.

Conclusion
So what did I think of the game? Well you probably noted that I mentioned Bad Company 2 as a reference several times. That's simply because they are similar in many aspects. In a good way though, because this feels like an improved BC2 in pretty much all aspects. If you liked BC2, you'll probably need new pants after playing BF3 - and if you despised BC2 and wanted more of a BF2.5 you might be disappointed. The gameplay is fast, action packed and at times a bit spammy - like any BF game(so not really a PR style game, but who expected that?). However because it did feel more like Bad Company than Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed personally. But maybe that's just me being nostalgic, and not willing to accept that newer games just wont feel like the older ones?

So will Battlefield 3 be the shizzle? Well I can't answer that question. Why? Simply because the BF3 I'm waiting for is a game with 64 players, a combination of air, ground and infantry working together on big(ish) conquest maps. This demo version had only one of those things - infantry. So guessing what the other components are like is as hard for me as it is for you. What I can say though is that for a vanilla BF game, the infantry part felt very nice - and the 40 minutes I spent in the BF3 area flew by and my heart was pumping for a good while after getting back to my regular seat.
So considering this, and if the other parts are equally fun, this game could turn out really good in the end.

I'll keep updating the post if I remember something else. If I missed something or there's something you want to know, feel free to ask.
mwg

25th Jun 11 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be honest I never bother reading all this stuff. I just wait to find out by playing it for myself when it comes out.
Jambo

26th Jun 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have aquired BFBC2

Need a vip code though
DannyB
Premium Member

27th Jun 11 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few new wallpapers

http://battlefieldo.com/bf3-wallpaper-collection/
3CorsaMeal

27th Jun 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I have aquired BFBC2

Need a vip code though

xbox or gaystation?
Jambo

27th Jun 11 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Xbox! Now have my VIP code
3CorsaMeal

27th Jun 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no M3's in the game unfortunately, but if you want to go for a ride in a tank add me: jimjon81
DannyB
Premium Member

28th Jun 11 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://multi.systemlink.me/2011/06/graphical-comparison-battlefield-3-vs.html
DannyB
Premium Member

28th Jun 11 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=2503&sid=41c01472e16296f7447bf39f281eaef0
Jambo

29th Jun 11 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
no M3's in the game unfortunately, but if you want to go for a ride in a tank add me: jimjon81

Im enjoying the tanks immensely!

I'll add you later jim
Adam_B

3rd Jul 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alan Kertz, Senior Gameplay Designer on Battlefield 3 has been answering fans questions on the game for a few weeks now and today he revealed the size of the Operation Metro multiplayer map.

A fan asked;

“there is a big discussion about the size of OP Metro. Can oyu please give us a size comparison of it and Karkand xx*yy ? Thx“

To which Kertz replied;

” From the first attacker base to the last crate is 800m, which is the same as Karkand 64p from US to RU home.”

” It varies between 80 to 160m wide. Karkand is 60m wide at the front line for reference.”

http://gamingphanatic.com/2011/07/02/size-of-battlefield-3-operation-metro-map-revealed/

[Edited on 03-07-2011 by Adam_B]
DannyB
Premium Member

4th Jul 11 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chris_uk
Premium Member

4th Jul 11 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i currently going through all the guns to gold star them all..
Anty
Premium Member

5th Jul 11 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whisch is the best game then?
Adam_B

6th Jul 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
i currently going through all the guns to gold star them all..

Same! All that seems to be happening though is my k/d ratio taking a battering
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is getting better actually, im just taking my time hiding in bushes waiting for people.. some of the guns are utter crap!
mwg

14th Jul 11 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone worked out how you get up on to the top of the cliff to snipe people on Laguna Presa?

I only managed to get up there because someone in my squad was up there. With a tank Don't know how you do it!
Nath

14th Jul 11 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought BFBC2 for the PC t'other day for £5, was on sale on Steam. I can see why PC geeks prefer to play on that.
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Jul 11 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nath, whats your username snd i will add you

i have a free night tonight so i expect to be on and geeking out!!
Nath

14th Jul 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 'steam' name? I've yet to play online, just going through single player to get used to the controls.
mwg

14th Jul 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQ0_1gU85U
Russ

14th Jul 11 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

:like:
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Jul 11 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nath when your in the game at the top right there is your name. thats what i need to add you in the game, alternativly your steam id is just as good.
mwg

14th Jul 11 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
:like:

http://youtu.be/4HIQf0h09PQ

http://youtu.be/lzT2P84T_I8

Nath

14th Jul 11 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
nath when your in the game at the top right there is your name. thats what i need to add you in the game, alternativly your steam id is just as good.

Will check it out when I get home

<<  44    45    46    47    48    49    50  >>

New Poll