corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  45    46    47    48    49    50    51  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Nov 13 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
it would be very odd for the HG to have gone on this engine

Not really if he was running for a length of time with little to no water its a knock on effect to cause HG issues. Turbo is oil cooled so it would be blue smoke if the seals have gone. Well it's oil cooled on the TD04

[Edited on 26-11-2013 by VrsTurbo]
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turbo has got coolant and oil lines into it as far as I know.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Turbo has got coolant and oil lines into it as far as I know.

Yup my mistake
BarnshaW

26th Nov 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, as said it has coolant in, the engine is pretty reliable in terms of HG's, hopefully just a leak or similar, if its worst case scenario no better opportunity to forge or 2.1
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
yes, as said it has coolant in, the engine is pretty reliable in terms of HG's, hopefully just a leak or similar, if its worst case scenario no better opportunity to forge or 2.1

Reliable until you run a car with no water.....
daymoon
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get atuck in Bradford let me know. I finish work at 5 so could give you a lift back to selby
Simon_16v

26th Nov 13 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any further news?
BeetleGav

26th Nov 13 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine chucks out that much smoke/steam in this cold weather. Maybe a little less though
daymoon
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Any further news?

Tomorrow
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, finally got the car loaded at about 15 : 00

Ride to Bradford was slow and steady, but the conversation was decent enough... even if the "that's the only time he will overtake an Impreza" joke got a little repetetive

The ride cost me £60 so can't really complain at that, best part of 40 miles and Daymoon treated me to a free ride home too

Spent about an hour talking to the lads at the garage, they confirmed that the radiator is indeed gone but another is due in the morning all under warranty etc.

As for the HG, they agree the amount of white smoke I was getting after such a long idle time was worrying but we didn't want to replicate it tonight without proper coolant in and bled etc.

Their plan for tomorrow is to replace the radiator, fill/bleed with either water or a really weak anti-freeze mix (incase they end up draining it again...) and then perform compression/sniff tests to see if my HG is gone or not.

Home for the next few days

If the engine is coming out, I'll be arranging for an uprated clutch, lightened flywheel and baffled sump plate to go in - just to save me labour/hassle in the future.

Replacement headgaskets will be cosworth uprated ones.

Happy days

[Edited on 26-11-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

26th Nov 13 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might as well sling in some rods, pistons and ACL bearings, and uprated headstuds, its probably worthwhile in the long run!
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're worse than them for getting me carried away. Had a 2.1 forged block sat ready waiting for a destiny

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

26th Nov 13 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in all honesty, i hope its not serious but if it comes to worst case scenario it really is worth considering, would make it bulletproof, only increase its value/appeal if you had to sell on and gives you scope for much more power reliably in the future.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We'll see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB81l32wGo

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

26th Nov 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good though
Simon_16v

27th Nov 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must say though that I've noticed my exhaust has been producing a lot more white smoke than usual on these cooler mornings/nights?
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Nov 13 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right just got off the phone, new radiator is on - and the head gasket is fine.

They've run it for a bit, no white smoke and is running like clockwork.

Radiator supplier have stood the cost of the coolant, and Richard Henry won't charge me labour - so the whole episode has just cost me the £60 tow.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Nov 13 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they didnt charge you labour because they had been ragging your car up and down for 3 hours solid and felt a bit tight lol
sharpy28

27th Nov 13 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad it was all fine for you, but also slightly disappointed was looking forward to see where you'd go with it of it was more serious
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Nov 13 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
they didnt charge you labour because they had been ragging your car up and down for 3 hours solid and felt a bit tight lol

It's called testing, perfectly legit

quote:
Originally posted by sharpy28
I'm glad it was all fine for you, but also slightly disappointed was looking forward to see where you'd go with it of it was more serious

It was a bit of an anti-climax in the end I guess Who knows, maybe few miles I did with a leak have caused some damage which will only show itself in weeks to come, then you can see me throw a few £k at it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

27th Nov 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad all is well
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Nov 13 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Glad all is well

Thanks

Saw an Evo 6 on the ramps next to mine, they were just dropping the engine. It had a gaping hole in the bottom of it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

27th Nov 13 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice... Not really into mine at the min as it looks silly and i cba to refurb the coilies
AndyCorsaSport

27th Nov 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Glad all is well

Thanks

Saw an Evo 6 on the ramps next to mine, they were just dropping the engine. It had a gaping hole in the bottom of it

That's an 8 Kyle. He's a friend of a friend that owns that.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Nov 13 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right. I could have sworn it's a 6 and he'd bought an 8 engine to go in it.

My mistake though I'm sure, I'm rubbish with Evos - especially when they're suspended 8 foot off the floor

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  45    46    47    48    49    50    51  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0243580 seconds