corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  46    47    48    49    50    51    52  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
Simon

User status: Offline
9th Apr 13 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Puncture repair kit and pump, appropiate clothing in case it gets cold. Phone for proper emergencies! I've started using an old phone to record the route so I haven't got a phone with no battery in emergencies. Food drink, or money to stop somewhere if needed
Jamie Walby

9th Apr 13 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Simon said.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of food would be ideal to take along? If I was doing a 4 hour ride would it be wise to take a break say half way through, stretch out and chill for abit?

Alot of silly questions but I could attempt it this Saturday, just want to be prepared tbh
Jamie Walby

9th Apr 13 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I am going out for a big ride I will plan my route around a coffee stop or 2 and perhaps a lunch break. I find it breaks the ride up nicely.

If you are taking food along with you, flapjacks and bananas are perfect I find. Or nutrigrain bars/nut oat based bars.
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Common ideas of mars bars aren't actually very good as it just provides sugar then runs out of energy supply quickly. As above flapjacks or nut type bars are spot on. Nice bowl of porridge for breakfast as well is what I do normally.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I did think about stopping somewhere but I might be on my jack jones so I'd rather eat some sandwiches up in a tree or something
Cole

9th Apr 13 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flspjacks never ride without it now
Jamie Walby

9th Apr 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to eat on 20 mile rides, cole?
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think he had about 8 mars bars in the 12 miles we did at Cannock chase!!
Doug

9th Apr 13 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Think he had about 8 mars bars in the 12 miles we did at Cannock chase!!

Yeah I took two but the bastard had half of both bars lol
Cole

9th Apr 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We done 17 at Cannock. Jamie 20miles of singletrack and hills and mud is not like 20miles on a road bike now is it but yes I do like to have a bit of flapjack every now and again plus I'm not an athlete lie you lol
Simon

9th Apr 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

30 - 40 miles on the road's isn't huge if you aren't in a rush. You don't need to be taking any kendal mint cake or flare guns. For bigger rides I normally take some sandwiches and a banana, nothing special
ed

9th Apr 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My weekend rides tend to be about 25 miles off road, I don't really need to eat on them, unless of course the ride has been specifically planned to coincide with a pub lunch somewhere
Doug

9th Apr 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really wish the canal paths were safer to ride on. Would be perfect training as I could cycle to Birmingham and back
ed

9th Apr 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you find un-safe about them? I find the bridges a bit sketchy but the tow paths aren't all that bad

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by ed]
Dan
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happy with my progress so far this year.

Down to 12mins 19 seconds for my 3.33 mile ride to work. few inclines on the way.

Considering ive done no physical excersize since school and the first trip took me about 19mins lol

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 13 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think ive bust the spindle in my front hub. its a bolt through one, tightens up fine but the quick release style tag bit doesnt go tight at all. ffs.
Jamie Walby

9th Apr 13 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
We done 17 at Cannock. Jamie 20miles of singletrack and hills and mud is not like 20miles on a road bike now is it but yes I do like to have a bit of flapjack every now and again plus I'm not an athlete lie you lol

Did a 37 mile ride on my MTB last week. Didn't need to eat once.
ed

9th Apr 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
think ive bust the spindle in my front hub. its a bolt through one, tightens up fine but the quick release style tag bit doesnt go tight at all. ffs.

Is it a Rock Shox thing? If it is, or it's similar, then there's a small allen key screw on the quick release lever side which you use to tighten up the cam.
Doug

9th Apr 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
What do you find un-safe about them? I find the bridges a bit sketchy but the tow paths aren't all that bad

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by ed]

The amount of bloody thorns
ed

9th Apr 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, there is that! Bloody pain in the arse...
Doug

9th Apr 13 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Yes, there is that! Bloody pain in the arse...

Well. Pain in the tyres, and fingers when you have to change 4 tubes in a row
Doug

9th Apr 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Big Decision time: Do I go from 3x9 to 2x10?

I ride trail centres like Cannock and Llandegla most, but currently signed up to do a couple long rides in September. The first one being the West Highland Way in Scotland (96 Miles) and then the London to Brighton offroad (75 miles).

I am an absolute sucker for chucking money at a hobby. My chain and casette will need replacing soon so this seems like a good time to make the change. Also I really need some new brakes so the offer at Merlyn Cycles for a full 2x10 groupset for £499 seems tempting!
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/gro upsets-mtb/shimano-xt-m780-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-black.html

Assuming it will be a good move. What rear casette would I be best getting, and why? People say 11-36 is good, but don't explain why.
Cole

9th Apr 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For Xc and trails doug I would use 2x10 how often do you use the big ring I use mine once and that's on the road down from the forest but I could quite easily roll down it wasted energy tbh plus 2x10 will lighter even if it is grams
Liam

9th Apr 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you go 2x10 get a crank with something like 42/28 or 44/30, that will be more than enough range with an 11-36 cassette! You might even be able to go with an 11-34 seeing as you have the 28 upfront.

The 40 or 42 up front will be fine for your longer rides with flatter terrain and the 28 or 30 will get you up any climb at Cannock with ease, be a real man and go 1x10 with a 32 chainring and 11-36 cassette...

Edit - Doug, do you need the full group set? Some shifters have a switch on the underside of the body so you can use them as both 3x or 2x, also do you need the brakes? If you can keep your current brakes you could save money and maybe just buy something like a SLX double crankset £115, XT cassette £50, you don't have to change the front derailleur as you can adjust the High/Low screws to stop it shifting to the outer ring which isn't there, also an SLX shadow+ clutch mech is around £55.

If you can get the codes, CRC give £10 off any order over £75.

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by Liam]

<<  46    47    48    49    50    51    52  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 24 database queries in 0.0422502 seconds