corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra H Sporthatch / 888 Pics

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra H Sporthatch / 888 Pics
Ben J

User status: Offline
11th May 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
All well and good saying remap this, box that, but you can't use the power in the lower gears all the time as the torque will soon eat the gearbox/clutch etc. In fact a lot of people say don't plant your foot in 1st or 2nd at all and to only open it up in 3rd. This makes it a car you can only put your foot down in every so often and only when its running out of puff anyway and even then its in the back of your mind all the time, unless your within the warrenty period

[Edited on 11-05-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]

Mine was driven pretty hard but I had no issues. Went like a train and never put a foot wrong in 2 years. I boxed it after it had done 1000 miles. Sold it at 22k miles.
John

11th May 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not got a problem with putting the power down or anything, just that it's not as fast as people make out, and this is coming from someone who isn't shy of saying diesels are quick.
Warren G

11th May 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john is yours mapped or tuning box

tuning boxes feel quick, but the power dies off early, peaks with shit loads (far to much) torque and smoke then power just tails off

remaped pulls to 5k
Ben J

11th May 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However.....Remap costs £500. Tuning box costs £200 and can be removed in 2 minutes for servicing/warrenty work etc.
mattk

11th May 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye what do they drive like with the boxes on? mine makes peak tourque at 2450rpm and peak power at 3950rpm

I asked for it to be progressive, a lad who was there at the same time had his mapped so it made 315ft/lbs at 1800rpm
Ojc

11th May 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF
mattk

11th May 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know him he just happened to be there on the same day, I followed him back to the M25 and the smoke under normal driving was fucking stupid, must have felt like one hell of a kick though
John

11th May 10 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G

tuning boxes feel quick, but the power dies off early, peaks with shit loads (far to much) torque and smoke then power just tails off

remaped pulls to 5k

I've got a box but it doesn't behave like that, the RR graphs also show them to be very similar so you must be basing it on a bad/badly set up box.

A remap would be better but with these engines there isn't much in it, not enough to be the difference between as fast as a vxr and not as fast as a vxr, most people who say it's as fast as a vxr are also running boxes.

Round a track there would be nothing in it, it's not that big a difference, in a straight line though the vxr would have no problem.
A2H GO

11th May 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
All well and good saying remap this, box that, but you can't use the power in the lower gears all the time as the torque will soon eat the gearbox/clutch etc. In fact a lot of people say don't plant your foot in 1st or 2nd at all and to only open it up in 3rd. This makes it a car you can only put your foot down in every so often and only when its running out of puff anyway and even then its in the back of your mind all the time, unless your within the warrenty period

[Edited on 11-05-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]

Mine was driven pretty hard but I had no issues. Went like a train and never put a foot wrong in 2 years. I boxed it after it had done 1000 miles. Sold it at 22k miles.

Im just going off personal experience and that of people i know with boxed 1.9's. There's a new 'My gearbox has gone' or 'New clutch fitted under warranty' thread on AON everytime you look on there, sometimes from users without them boxed. Then they get hammered for having driven them hard....but why would you want a remap/box and not be able to use to its full potential?
Kano

11th May 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

remaped pulls to 5k

I've got a box but it doesn't behave like that, the RR graphs also show them to be very similar so you must be basing it on a bad/badly set up box.

Agree with you there, mine is very smooth all the way to 4k+.. I find when the box is off it has power for the first few k then it just dies.
Warren G

11th May 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you ever been in a remapped car?

iv been in both

boxes seem to smoke more, dont pick up aswell off boost

might have more of a kick, but dont forget all its doing to adding fuel, doesnt pull to 5k, start going flat at 4 like standard, you have to change gear sooner

drive a mapped one, then see the differnce

to be honest theres a differnce between keeping up and being the same or even pulling on a car

my astra keeps up with 300bhp scooby, doesnt mean its as fast etc etc

but considering what it is, id be more than happy to 'keep up' in a mapped or tuning boxed derv tbh

[Edited on 11-05-2010 by Warren G]
John

11th May 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a remapped astra specifically no.

I'm telling you my car behaves more like you're describing a mapped one does though, which is backed up by the graphs.
Warren G

11th May 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lets have a looky then at the graphs

John

11th May 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't be annoyed raking through AON, there's a whole section for th tuning boxes.
Mark.W

11th May 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/astra%20on%20bbs%20ch%208/mandyvxr/011.jpg

bit of an idea

Any pics of these on a 5dr with xp kit?
Warren G

11th May 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just googled thoes wheels on astra

and good read john,

http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56773&highlight=box+remap+graphs

advantages/ disadvantages

end of the day if you havent tried both you cant compare, people have different opinions, which is fine

[Edited on 11-05-2010 by Warren G]
John

11th May 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand the advantages and disadvatages, I've always said a remap is better, on these engines though it's only better by a small margin.
MarkM

11th May 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact the box can be removed in 60 seconds clinches it for me.
Warren G

11th May 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone uses this

but if its that good, why remove it! lol

bit like saying, iv got a removal T39586 garrett turbo, can be put standard in 60seconds

Kano

11th May 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
everyone uses this

but if its that good, why remove it! lol

bit like saying, iv got a removal T39586 garrett turbo, can be put standard in 60seconds

Warranty.. Whenever mines gone in for warranty work its taken me all of 20 seconds to take the box off and the dealer is none the wiser. They spot I've got a remap and I'm screwed.

Once mines out of warranty next year I might be tempted to get it mapped but until then the box is the perfect solution.
Warren G

11th May 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was awaiting that - again i dont know why people use that as a reason

remap cant be spotted using anyform of tech2 equipment, 100% fact, nothing will show up, goes undectected

no dealers have the equipment to check the file.

only engine the ecu has to be sent away to thorney for them to check to make sure it hasnt been mapped is the corsa vxr only, as there is a common problem. and this only happens when piston no. 4 decides to melt. no over time.

Kano

11th May 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
was awaiting that - again i dont know why people use that as a reason

remap cant be spotted using anyform of tech2 equipment, 100% fact, nothing will show up, goes undectected

no dealers have the equipment to check the file.

only engine the ecu has to be sent away to thorney for them to check to make sure it hasnt been mapped is the corsa vxr only, as there is a common problem. and this only happens when piston no. 4 decides to melt. no over time.

Fair dos.. I was always under the impression that you could see a date or something of when the ECU had been mapped. Learnt something new..
Warren G

11th May 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres alot of misleading people out there who start 'facts'

MarkM

11th May 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John - What's the aerial everyone goes for on the Astra's? Wouldn't mind one like the better BMWs have...sort of stubbed shark fin style...
John

11th May 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one off an insignia or astra twin top on mine, not sure on the shark fin ones tbh, look a bit aftermarket.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra H Sporthatch / 888 Pics 22 database queries in 0.0160520 seconds