corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper S

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mini Cooper S
Nath

User status: Offline
10th Jan 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
might have been jsut a bad example though

1st gen so you'd hope they'd learned all the mistakes and corrected them.
A2H GO

10th Jan 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
I had an original supercharged s.

Absolute nightmare - if it had not of been under warrante it would have cost me almost £12k in repairs over three years.

I sold it as soon as cover finished as I was terrified of something else breaking.

Main problems I had were

Cat disintegrated twice in a year
Manifold was fucked
Steering was stupidly noisey, then it had some massive breakdown while I was going rather quick round a bend - nearly killed me.
Used to eat Tyres and breaks - the runflats were simply too dangerous to use in the wet - I got rid of them instantly

The main problem was a major oil leak that developed - I washed the car on the saturday, filled it with water and oil - drove to birmingham and back - went to use it on the sunday and it pulled strange, then an almighty knocking noise started - engine was fucked, oil warning system was faulty, engine temp gauge was faulty .. they tried to wriggle out of the repair due to me having a non genuine backbox on - nearly went to court.

Terrible service department - stupidly expensive parts.

I wouldnt if I was you ..... having said that I have no experience with the new gen minis so they might have improved

Same. For this reason I wouldn't have another. Build quality is also shocking, my 182 was better. Maybe I had a bad one The thing that annoyed me the most was the fuel consumption, the amount of fuel it used was not comparitave to speed/torque it gave out in return. Fair enough if it was 350bhp and did 0-60 in 5 seconds.

EDIT: In fact i remember now i used to have the most annoying whistle/wind noise every time i clicked over 50mph and I couldnt for the life of me fine out where it was coming from. It wound me up something rotten and after looking on the mini forums I found it was a common problem of air seeping through the windscreen seal.

[Edited on 10-01-2011 by A2H GO]
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rattles and little faults were a very common complaint on the mini frums when I had one.

Imo they nearly had a great car on their hands - then they dumbed it down so anyone could buy it and drive it.

Unless its in great nick and you are paying a really silly price - I wouldnt personally - they are damned expensive to run imo.

I would highly recommend looking at an R27 for that kind of money - would get you a hell of a lot of car
A2H GO

10th Jan 11 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
might have been jsut a bad example though

1st gen so you'd hope they'd learned all the mistakes and corrected them.

The Mrs had a second gen 59 plate mini One and I can confirm its much better in terms of build quality and overall feel. I'd be tempted by a second gen if they weren't so expensive.
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me the massive reason I bought the car - and what set them apart from other hothatches was the supercharger .... it was bloody lovely to drive - I miss it every day still.

I have driven the new gen turbo lots when trying to decide on the r27 and 200rs - I just didnt like it much ..... would be great for the school run or motor way crawling - but for spirited driving it does nothing for me....Imo the r27 and 200rs are far , far superior in terms of value fr money and enjoyment to drive

If they made another supercharged one - I would probably buy it still and then get raped by bmw again.

[Edited on 10-01-2011 by Dr Pepper]
Ojc

10th Jan 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got to say though I do 5k a year and it's got a years warranty so should be ok.
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I've got to say though I do 5k a year and it's got a years warranty so should be ok.

Under warranty I wouldnt have a problem owning one
A2H GO

10th Jan 11 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
For me the massive reason I bought the car - and what set them apart from other hothatches was the supercharger .... it was bloody lovely to drive - I miss it every day still.

I have driven the new gen turbo lots when trying to decide on the r27 and 200rs - I just didnt like it much ..... would be great for the school run or motor way crawling - but for spirited driving it does nothing for me....Imo the r27 and 200rs are far , far superior in terms of value fr money and enjoyment to drive

If they made another supercharged one - I would probably buy it still and then get raped by bmw again.

Supercharger does make them a very enjoyable drive, lots of low down torque. I like that the go pedal is attached to the floor aswel and goes down rather than back. I remember being in the JCW and someone being up my arse so put my foot down, and the Mrs goes 'bloody hell i cant keep my head forward' as its pinned again the headrest
Ojc

10th Jan 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's weird to drive after the Astra as the Astra was bonkers this is smooth delivery and instantanious. It's comparable to the Corsa VXR tbf it's a lot harsher ride though with these gay run flats
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

Supercharger does make them a very enjoyable drive, lots of low down torque. I like that the go pedal is attached to the floor aswel and goes down rather than back. I remember being in the JCW and someone being up my arse so put my foot down, and the Mrs goes 'bloody hell i cant keep my head forward' as its pinned again the headrest

yeah I loved the pedel movement too - it was just a stunning car to put your foot down in - and it did handle like a go kart --for me though it was spoiled by the sub standard brakes, tyres and seats - considering how much it cost they should have finished it for me without me having to spend 2k on upgrades to make it useable.

Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
It's weird to drive after the Astra as the Astra was bonkers this is smooth delivery and instantanious. It's comparable to the Corsa VXR tbf it's a lot harsher ride though with these gay run flats

I dont think I could drive a car with those BMW runflats on again - they are shocking imo. When I stuck some decent rubber on the difference in ride, handling and noise was unreal

Rich H

10th Jan 11 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ saying a 182 is better built!! I've not owned a 182, but I've worked on enough to know they're definitely not as well built as Mini!

Yes Mini's do rattle a fair bit which for what is essentially a BMW is pretty poor imo, but I'm slowly addressing that now - most effective one is to it strut braces I've found!

I'll agree with you on DSC cutting out too much power when looking to make a quick pull out - still haven't got used to that yet.

Not heard of manifolds failing until they're getting on and done high mileage tbh, nor oil leaks - although dip sticks do have a habit of snapping!

The power steering was a widely know fault soon after release and was a warranty recall for most - I've recently had to do the column on mine as the bearings were shot, the power steering would fail if you ignored the leaking PAS reservoir for too long.

Fuel economy does suck, but then in a lot of ways it's got to be expected on a highly tuned, supercharged 1.6 I guess!
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
@ saying a 182 is better built!! I've not owned a 182, but I've worked on enough to know they're definitely not as well built as Mini!

Yes Mini's do rattle a fair bit which for what is essentially a BMW is pretty poor imo, but I'm slowly addressing that now - most effective one is to it strut braces I've found!

I'll agree with you on DSC cutting out too much power when looking to make a quick pull out - still haven't got used to that yet.

Not heard of manifolds failing until they're getting on and done high mileage tbh, nor oil leaks - although dip sticks do have a habit of snapping!

The power steering was a widely know fault soon after release and was a warranty recall for most - I've recently had to do the column on mine as the bearings were shot, the power steering would fail if you ignored the leaking PAS reservoir for too long.

Fuel economy does suck, but then in a lot of ways it's got to be expected on a highly tuned, supercharged 1.6 I guess!

yeah I dont think my car was a good one tbh

I wouldnt say a 182 is better built - but the 197 and 200 definately are. For me - as much as I still like the mini - it is not acceptable to have rattles, stearing faults, shite tyres, seats and dsc on a car which cost me not far off £20k .....(although I only paid about £15k due to dodgy staff sale)
Steve
Premium Member

10th Jan 11 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not as well built as a puma tbh, bet if you could get X reg minis they wouldnt be passing MOTs today with no advisory

[Edited on 10-01-2011 by Steve]
A2H GO

10th Jan 11 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

yeah I loved the pedel movement too - it was just a stunning car to put your foot down in - and it did handle like a go kart --for me though it was spoiled by the sub standard brakes, tyres and seats - considering how much it cost they should have finished it for me without me having to spend 2k on upgrades to make it useable.

Thats true. I never got round to changing the run flats for something more useable but if I wasnt sliding at 5mph round roundabouts i'd be sliding around in the baggy leather seat.

Im not saying they are generally better built than a 182, but I am saying MY 182 was 100% better in terms of built quality than the Cooper S that I owned. Maybe I had a good 182 and a bad Mini. Saying that I have owned two Minis in the past 3 years.

Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just remembered

The thing that really used to piss me off with the mini

I was smoking when I owned the mini - in the rain the water used to sheet off the curved roof and build up around the edges of the roof by the trim untill you went around a bend, and then it would just sheet straight over the side windows. The windows are frameless in the mini so when they are open there is a big space there.

On several occasions i had the window slightly open to blow smoke out and so much water fell on me that i had to turn around, go home and get changed

The tweeters were also located in the door by the handle and I use to go through a few pairs a year due to flood damage

Ojc

10th Jan 11 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arent insurance companies teh biggest fucking cunts in the world?

Jesus wept.
mwg

10th Jan 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep mines gone up £300
Steve
Premium Member

10th Jan 11 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines gone up -£30
Ojc

10th Jan 11 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Direct Line won't mirror my dads NCB with me on the insurance

On his own it's £267 with me it's £850, although Aviva are quoting £670 now.

Those GoCompare websites are dogshit.
Dr Pepper

10th Jan 11 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Yeah - I have no idea who is using gocompare with success - its always shit for me.

My insurance went down this year £320 fully comp on the 200 from Aviva I have always found aviva and direct line the cheapest for me.
Corsa_Sport21

10th Jan 11 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Moneysupermarket.In saying that,all 3 that i used had the same top 3 cheapest results.But MS were cheapest.

Why cant he use his NCB with you on the policy??Never heard of that before.
Fro

10th Jan 11 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Confused and Admiral somehow got their systems in a pickle when i did my insurance the other month, ended up ridiculously cheap in comparison to their original quotes and other co's
Ojc

11th Jan 11 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it Friday.
Mertin

11th Jan 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the first gen cooper s hard to get into reverse?
My cousin had one and I always thought she was just being weak when trying to get it over into reverse but I tried myself and it seemed you had to force it through the gate and then into reverse. No push down / lift up

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper S 22 database queries in 0.0145569 seconds