corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Budget

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Budget
emicen

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 11 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I’ve only scanned the highlights thus far but its an intriguing budget.

Income tax allowances rising is a good thing, however, they don’t mention national insurance, only a consultation to merge the two since NI is not longer used for what it was originally intended and indeed hasn’t for some time. They are very good at allowing fiscal drag set in on the NI threshold since it never seems to get focussed on. The notion of raising money with a clamp down on tax avoidance is a fad, plain and simple. Tax avoidance is completely legal and quite frankly, sensible. Tax evasion is what they should be focussing their extremely limited resources on, the proper big hitters, carousel VAT fraud etc. Tax avoidance includes people who use ISAs for tax free savings, child tax credits, working tax credits etc. In fact, unless you set out to pay the maximum tax possible, you are a tax avoider   But hey, its an easy headline which will have the mouth breathing element who get all their news and current affairs from the Daily Wail ranting about bankers again so that deflects the heat from the politicians to sort the country out for a while.

1p off a litre of fuel. Utter joke. I was in Norway recently and observed they pay largely the same fuel prices as us. That doesn’t mean ours’ are fair, I’m comparing us to a country where a pint of beer costs £9, a pack of fags is over a tenner and 2 king sized Twix for £3.25 is a 7-eleven promotion. What I did note though, was their prices have not been corrupted with fuel duty and diesel is ~7p a litre cheaper than petrol, reflecting the lower production costs of the less refined fuel. The funding suggested to fix the pothole ridden roads is laughable. That is an England and Wales figure of £100m where Scotland has had estimates of £1bn to fix it’? Good luck with that.

Taxing the north sea oil companies is also a short sighted tactic in garnering extra revenue to make up for the duty pause. The north sea is a depleting/depleted asset in a lot of ways. It is still viable for production although exploration is limited, most of this is down to new technologies finding ways to make better use of assets previously considered spent i.e. injection technologies and subsea production systems to get an extra 10% out of a well. The cost/return ratio on that kind of investment can quite rapidly turn sour when you start getting taxed through the hoop for it.

£250m starter loans to kick start house buying. Well, aside from trying not to get hacked off as one of the people who missed all their other incentives and just went out and bought, I don’t see it working to be honest. The plain and simple fact is house prices haven’t fallen *that* much in the grand scheme of it, regardless of what the blow hards down the pub/wine bar may want you to overhear about their portfolio. They are still close to an unprecedented peak. Lots of people are buying in to the knowledge proffered by the other side of the coin down the pub/wine bar, that the great crash is still to come and the prices are blah-de-blah percent about the historical trend. Well, that’s the thing about a trend line, when you hit a period of greater than average growth, the trend line changes to match the new numbers, the subject doesn’t have to default to the trend line. I personally don’t see the market crashing but I do see a whole lot of market belligerence being born of buying in to the theory it will. Young people have become far too used to having that as an excuse and simply going out and spunking their wages on clothes, holidays and flash cars. When they reality hits of buying a home hits; 1 or 2 big nights out a month, 1 week holiday abroad not 2 or 3 week long holidays, driving an 8yr old Golf GT TDi instead of your PCP’d S3/Focus RS/BMW 3 series coupe; suddenly it’s too big a sacrifice or too big a hardship. Their parents will of course sympathise and even appear on the news saying how terrible the situation is but ignore the equity release on their RTB terraced house that has paid for the last 5 years summer hols in Marbella and the wife’s car. Shared equity would make a far better impact on the monthly outgoing which is what they will need to bring down to get young people involved, but this is costlier.

No change on booze levy, wrong decision imho, especially on the back of all this chat about making Britain a more responsible society. Introducing minimum alcohol unit pricing is sensible. Again, talking to anyone in Norway they laugh at our situation with so much alcohol fuelled violence and attribute it entirely to our cheap booze. This shouldn’t be an attack on someone who likes to have the odd pint after work, or a bottle of wine with a meal, it’s about 50p vodka mixes all night or £1.27 litre bottles of cider out ASDA.

2% tax on tabs, meh, buy them duty free anyway
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't that by 2013?
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long did that take you on your phone
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gunna guess FUCKING AGES.

Some good points raised though...

Scots wouldn't like a minimum alcohol price though

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by pow]
mwg

23rd Mar 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Income tax rate increase is a welcomed thing for me tbh

£18 extra a month for me. Phew I can afford to buy a house now.
Ojc

23rd Mar 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who is this bloke chatting breeze?
daymoon
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to Uni this Morning, Diesel was 136.9p

On my way back it was 137.9p

Will be decreased by one P later, so will be same as it was this morning. Wankers.
emicen

23rd Mar 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I'm a Scot and I would. A hell of a lot of the problems in scotland could be resolved if it wasn't so cheap to get bladdered and cause trouble or so cheap to sit on your arse all day drinking and breeding instead of working. We're not all ginger alcoholics
Ojc

23rd Mar 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats a lie, I've seen Rab C Nesbitt
sc0ott

23rd Mar 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And we have seen shameless.
harrisp

23rd Mar 11 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
quote:
Originally posted by pow

I'm a Scot and I would. A hell of a lot of the problems in scotland could be resolved if it wasn't so cheap to get bladdered and cause trouble or so cheap to sit on your arse all day drinking and breeding instead of working. We're not all ginger alcoholics

People like that will still do exactly the same even if the price of alcohol goes up.
Russ

23rd Mar 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a child climbing over my face but i generally got.

we're taxing feul companies 12% more, and with all the extra money we make, you can pay 1p less, but then we'll add an extra 3p on oxygen, so your all going to be poorer
emicen

23rd Mar 11 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i had a child climbing over my face but i generally got.

we're taxing feul companies 12% more, and with all the extra money we make, you can pay 1p less, but then we'll add an extra 3p on oxygen, so your all going to be poorer

oceansoul

23rd Mar 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People will just moan no matter what the outcome.
sc0ott

23rd Mar 11 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would be happy to pay 1.10 but 1 fucking pence is everything to moan about, especially when fuel stations around my area went up 1p last night what fucking difference does it make. Shell garage i use was 1.30.9 and its now 1.31.9. Wow what a difference.
I still bite the bullet and pay for it but at the end of the day whats the point in putting it down 1p. I would be happy for them to keep that extra 1p that no one is going to notice and ramm it up their robbing arses.
AlunJ

23rd Mar 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax the oil companies to bring the fuel duty down? How the hell does that make sense, the oil companies will just chuck the tax on the price of fuel = no better off?
jacko198

23rd Mar 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-sxi
Personal allowance to go up by £1k this year and a further £600 next year! woop

What even is a Personal Allowence?
corsa-sxi

23rd Mar 11 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

income tax threshold?
emicen

23rd Mar 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
Tax the oil companies to bring the fuel duty down? How the hell does that make sense, the oil companies will just chuck the tax on the price of fuel = no better off?

Too much typing to be done on my phone stuck in traffic but basically they can't.
jacko198

23rd Mar 11 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-sxi
income tax threshold?

So you dont get taxed if you earn less than £1k?
sc0ott

23rd Mar 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think an income tax threshold might be similar to an accessible door threshold.

emicen

23rd Mar 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This HAS to be a wind up surely?
jacko198

23rd Mar 11 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the....
corsa-sxi

23rd Mar 11 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you winding me up jacko
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Woah woah woah woah... I said nothing about ginger

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Budget 22 database queries in 0.0228021 seconds