corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » England v Wales

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author England v Wales
cavmad

User status: Offline
7th Sep 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

England should have done far better, but faced with playing minnows like that it's hardly any wonder they didn't really try. Seriously, is there actually any point Wales playing in football tournaments?
Russ

7th Sep 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom

7th Sep 11 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Fucking Earnshaw, Barnshaw couldve scored that

Midfield is where we were let down (again), Rooney was in his own half far too much

i thought our full back played ok

I watched most of the 1st half and 15 mins of the second half. Rooney went looking for the ball now and then in the 1st half but the whole 15 mins I watched of the second half he was chasing round for the ball in his own half far too much. Yes, that's part of his game, but he didn't need to do it. Wales weren't having anywhere near enough of the ball to justify him doing that and when England broke quickly down the wings, Rooney was nowhere near the action.
Mark Prydderch

7th Sep 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cavmad
England should have done far better, but faced with playing minnows like that it's hardly any wonder they didn't really try. Seriously, is there actually any point Wales playing in football tournaments?

That type of attitude and ignorance is why the English national team and supporters are detested worldwide.

Good one - England Vs. Wales, and the english 'didn't try'.

I thought we played OK, just lacked going forward. Missed Bellamy on the opposite wing to Bale. Definatly improving form, just need to be consistent and get some wins - only a young team yet.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 11 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you always know that when rooney is chasing round after the ball in his own half that midfield arent doing there job properly
chrisritch

7th Sep 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you always know that when rooney is chasing round after the ball in his own half that midfield arent doing there job properly

Makes a difference seeing the fat lazy cunt run tbh
Tom

7th Sep 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I didn't like that midfield at all, but Rooney didn't need to go looking for the ball that much early in the second half.
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Prydderch
quote:

That type of attitude and ignorance is why the English national team and supporters are detested worldwide.

That may have been true 20 years ago but i'm afraid that is now just a myth that the Scots and Welsh like to spread......You still hate us, but the rest of the footballing world doesnt. The English fans travel in huge numbers, spend a hell of a lot of money and put a massive percentage of income into major championships and qualifiers. The other small European nations(including Wales) are desperate to get drawn in a qualifying group with the English as it guarantees you much bigger income than if you get any other top nation. Wembley is also a very safe place to go as an away fan so away fans come here in bigger numbers than would go to say Italy or Russia ect...The English premier league is the most watched league worldwide, the English clubs have the biggest gross worldwide fan base, we have the best football stadia of any country in the world ... by in large England is a very nice, safe place to host big football games.

Our fans are known around Europe now for being anti racist, pretty well behaved and very rich.

Wales are minnows, you have only ever qualified for one championship in the 50's .... you are happy losing as proved by last night and you think you have played well even when you lose a game you could have won. Wales wasted possesion countless times last night, you could have got a point against against an england side which was looking to get the job done with bare minimum afort and not get anyone injured. You had a great chance to get a point and bottled it. Its not at all arrogant for English fans to see beating Wales as a formality

[Edited on 07-09-2011 by Dr Pepper]
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 11 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lampard instead of parker was a strange choice, was capello protecting parker because of yellow cards??

also barry plays better in a holding role, better when walcott and parker were in deffo
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
lampard instead of parker was a strange choice, was capello protecting parker because of yellow cards??

yes imo
Mark Prydderch

7th Sep 11 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:
quote:

That may have been true 20 years ago but i'm afraid that is now a myth that the Scots and Welsh like to spread...... The English fans travel in huge numbers, spend a hell of a lot of money and put a massive percentage of income into major championships and qualifiers. The other small European nations(including Wales) are desperate to get drawn in a qualifying group with the English as it guarantees you much bigger income than if you get any other top nation. Wembley is also a very safe place to go as an away fan so away fans come here in bigger numbers than would go to say Italy or Russia ect...The English premier league is the most watched league worldwide, the English clubs have the biggest gross worldwide fan base, we have the best football stadia of any country in the world ... by in large England is a very nice, safe place to host big football games.

Our fans are known around Europe now for being anti racist, pretty well behaved and very rich.

Wales are minnows, you have only ever qualified for one championship in the 50's .... you are happy losing as proved by last night and you think you have played well even when you lose a game you could have won. Wales wasted possesion countless times last night, you could have got a point against against an england side which was looking to get the job done with bare minimum afort and not get anyone injured. You had a great chance to get a point and bottled it. Its not at all arrogant for English fans to see beating Wales as a formality

What I quoted, read as arrogant to me. And is only backed up by talk from english fans over social media - from my point of view.

Where did I say Wales weren't 'minnows'? I (as do many other Welsh supporters) recongise that we aren't anything special. It's a young squad, with a new manager and new playing style. They held their own against '4th in the world', and should've atleast come away with a point.

Love all this talk about England playing with bare minimum effort in a Euro qualifier, where they needed points, against a rival nation. Passion.
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Prydderch.
Love all this talk about England playing with bare minimum effort in a Euro qualifier, where they needed points, against a rival nation. Passion.

true though ... wales at home isnt a big game for us. Winning the game and not getting injuries was the only thing we were looking for. Pretty obvious by the fact we didnt risk Parker on a yellow and didnt bother picking Walcot, Bent ect who had slight knocks but will be fit for the weekend.... its just not realistic to expect every player out there last night to kill themselves trying to score 4 or 5. We took one of our numerous chances in a very mediocre game of football then sat with 7 players in the midfield and stopped ramsay or bale doing anything ..... you had one chance, all be it a good one, and didnt take it.

Look at your own problems rather than constantly focusing on how England fans view the national team. Its a qualifier,and one we expect to win against one of the least successful nations in the history of european football its not a big deal to us - you can call that arrogant but its just the way it is.

Hammer

7th Sep 11 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

That may have been true 20 years ago but i'm afraid that is now just a myth that the Scots and Welsh like to spread......You still hate us, but the rest of the footballing world doesnt. The English fans travel in huge numbers, spend a hell of a lot of money and put a massive percentage of income into major championships and qualifiers. The other small European nations(including Wales) are desperate to get drawn in a qualifying group with the English as it guarantees you much bigger income than if you get any other top nation. Wembley is also a very safe place to go as an away fan so away fans come here in bigger numbers than would go to say Italy or Russia ect...The English premier league is the most watched league worldwide, the English clubs have the biggest gross worldwide fan base, we have the best football stadia of any country in the world ... by in large England is a very nice, safe place to host big football games.

What an arrogant cunt

I could disect your ignorance bit by bit but I would be wasting my time on someone that thinks England should have won the last World Cup.
JonnyJ

7th Sep 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
4. Wembley is a highly average stadium with a fucking terrible atmosphere.... It looks more like an airport than a stadium till you get inside. £9.50 for a burger and chips and £55 a ticket is not going to draw in the kind of fans who want to get an atmosphere going.... The view is great - but the three times I have been there it has left me dissapointed ... it just doesnt feel special - it feels like you are bending over and getting raped by the FA

I think by calling it average you are giving it far more credit than it deserves. Its an absolute embarrassment. To think that fucker cost £1,000,000,000 is just incredible and depressing.

I've been 3 times as well. I've been in a side full of fans and ive been in an end opposite a full set of fans and both times the atmosphere has been stinking and that wasnt the fault of the fans, both of whom tried to get something going but acoustically its one of the worst stadiums in the world.

I like your similarity to an airport. I'd agree with that, too fucking clinical and corporate, the prices are a disgrace and as a stadium it looks shit, boring, boring, boring. In many ways the perfect home for the England football team and its fans...
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
quote:
quote:

What an arrogant cunt

I could disect your ignorance bit by bit but I would be wasting my time on someone that thinks England should have won the last World Cup.

Truth hurts doesnt it and I didnt ever say England should have won the last world cup
Hammer

7th Sep 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Truth hurts doesnt it and I didnt ever say England should have won the last world cup

Truth hurts in what respect? I'm as close to a neutral as you'll find when it comes to national football, I actually enjoy watching England if they're playing well.

The real truth is England are a second tier footballing nation at best, in comparison to teams like Spain and Brazil there is no comparison. The fact yourself and several thousand others seem to think you have a divine right to beat teams likes Wales shows how arrogant a large majority of England football fans are. On any other day Robert Earnshaw would have buried his chance and it would have been a draw and a fair one at that.
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
4. Wembley is a highly average stadium with a fucking terrible atmosphere.... It looks more like an airport than a stadium till you get inside. £9.50 for a burger and chips and £55 a ticket is not going to draw in the kind of fans who want to get an atmosphere going.... The view is great - but the three times I have been there it has left me dissapointed ... it just doesnt feel special - it feels like you are bending over and getting raped by the FA

I think by calling it average you are giving it far more credit than it deserves. Its an absolute embarrassment. To think that fucker cost £1,000,000,000 is just incredible and depressing.

I've been 3 times as well. I've been in a side full of fans and ive been in an end opposite a full set of fans and both times the atmosphere has been stinking and that wasnt the fault of the fans, both of whom tried to get something going but acoustically its one of the worst stadiums in the world.

I like your similarity to an airport. I'd agree with that, too fucking clinical and corporate, the prices are a disgrace and as a stadium it looks shit, boring, boring, boring. In many ways the perfect home for the England football team and its fans...

Fully agree... the kind of crowd you now get at an England home game reminds me very much of the kind of crowds you now get at Arsenal or Chelsea home games......certainly would bother wasting the money to go to either one of those places on a regular basis
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Truth hurts in what respect? I'm as close to a neutral as you'll find when it comes to national football, I actually enjoy watching England if they're playing well.

The real truth is England are a second tier footballing nation at best, in comparison to teams like Spain and Brazil there is no comparison. The fact yourself and several thousand others seem to think you have a divine right to beat teams likes Wales shows how arrogant a large majority of England football fans are. On any other day Robert Earnshaw would have buried his chance and it would have been a draw and a fair one at that.

And what about the numerous chances England missed? They dont count I suppose?

Of course England should beat wales ... look at the past meetings, the results in this group and the quality of wales defense ... they are a minnow, England are a top seed .... its rediculous to think we should be worried by Wales ... they have dangerous players, we nullified them .... they could have stayed out there all year and they wouldnt have taken the lead.

On the point that England are a second tier nation ....couldnt agree with you more, we are miles behind others especially spain - I wasnt arguing English football is amazing.... I was disagreeing with the quote "that english team and players are hated world wide" ...thats a myth....and completely false. The FA are shite - you only have to look at our team, our manager and our stadium to know that .... but we actually have decent players, and we have better young ones coming through - if it is managed correctly we have got a genuine chance of getting to the latter stages of the next few championships(maybe not euro 2012, but depends on our draw)

Hammer

7th Sep 11 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're not even making sense.

They have dangerous players but you nullified them therefore you should win. So if Accrington Stanley were ever to play Barcelona all they would have to do is nullify their dangerous players and they would win?

On any given day there is a chance Wales could beat England for the reason you have highlighted, they have dangerous players.
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You're not even making sense.

They have dangerous players but you nullified them therefore you should win. So if Accrington Stanley were ever to play Barcelona all they would have to do is nullify their dangerous players and they would win?

On any given day there is a chance Wales could beat England for the reason you have highlighted, they have dangerous players.

In this group - England played 7, won 5/ Wales played 6, lost 5
Wales 0-2 England

I dont believe we have a divine right to beat wales, I just thought we would beat them, and if we played them 100 times we would win or draw 95+ times. There is a reason bookies made us 7/1 on to win...its not because bookmakers are arrogant you mug - its due to the probability of a minor europeon nation beating England at wembley without two of their better players with england playing a defensive line up. Ramsay and Bale can not do anything without the ball, they need space to be effective .... we effectively started the game with cole and smalling pushed up, and 5 other midfielders, we had 7 players in the middle of the park the whole game .... no it wasnt going to be great to watch ... but it did give Bale and Ramsay pretty much zero chance of doing anything special.

Im not even going to mention the Accrington stanley rubbish becuase it has got nothing to do with England being massive favourites(for a good reason) to beat wales.

Its certainly not arroagant to say England were always going to beat Wales and that we could afford to rest some players with knocks and bookings and not play with 100% effort and we should still be good enough to beat them...which is exactly what happened.

Hammer

7th Sep 11 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its not at all arrogant for English fans to see beating Wales as a formality

You contradict yourself within the space of 2 posts. You are a shit talking fucker
Dr Pepper

7th Sep 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Its not at all arrogant for English fans to see beating Wales as a formality

You contradict yourself within the space of 2 posts. You are a shit talking fucker

I didnt contradict myself? - I dont think England have a "divine right" to win a game against wales ...but I do think an England win was a formality....to the extent that I thought it was fine for us to rest some key players and take the game a bit easier than if we had of played anyone half decent.

You are the one who bought up England fans thinking they have a 'divine right' to beat wales. not me. Do you know what "a divine right" means - it refers to Kings and Queens being appointed by God and having a god given right to rule a country ...... no I dont think England are favoured by the gods(I dont believe in gods) but I do belive in statistics and probability and I have seen wales and england play in wales a few months back.

Is your point that its arrogant for England fans to see beating Wales at home as a formality?

Of course its a formality ...what possible evidence can you give to suggest we should have been at all worried about not beating wales. Every statistic going points to England being massive, huge favourites. We were 7/1 on to win(and even shorter to avoid defeat) We are talking about the 4th ranked team in the world playing against 117 in the world at home, in a qualifier for a competition wales have never qualified for. How can you honestly give Wales any chance what so ever before that game....it was always 6 points for England as as soon as the draw was made

Stop misquoting me and throwing stupid insults and make a coherent argument please.

Hammer

7th Sep 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cavmad

8th Sep 11 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other thing I'd suggest is that it's not the fault of the average England supporter that the national press keep ramming 1966 down peoples throats. I do believe other countries in the U.K despise England for this, just as some of us despise some supporters of other countries for seemingly being anti-English.

It's actually embarrassing for England fans when the media/whoever start saying we're the 4th best team in the world, mention 1966 or generally assume we'll win every game just by turning up.
Easy to say, as it probably looks a cop out, but the media have a huge part to play in this, I think they do it to build England up then actually love it when we crash out of tournaments so they can slag them off again.

[Edited on 08-09-2011 by cavmad]
12vStig

8th Sep 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 2p worth is that England have squad players like Barry, Milner etc who in our hearts of hearts nobody wants to see anywhere near an England squad when you consider the players we've had.Yet these players would not only walk into a Welsh squad, they'd be appointed captain, given the freedom of Cardiff and even immortalised in statue form had they been from the valleys.

Bale and arguably Ramsey aside, no Welsh player would get near that England squad, let alone starting XI.

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » England v Wales 23 database queries in 0.0171630 seconds