corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
7th Dec 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started doing the finishing touches to get car ready for MOT, mapping and geometry set up, so fitted up the whiteline rear ARB was supprised just how easily these fit

Also fitted the front ARB back on, had to mod the front mount on it as it was where the down pipe runs so just grinded a flat and moved the bracket down

Since going out in the car it's flagged up a few problems, first off was the suspension was way too low and needs highering more, and the brakes really need some attention as there pretty much isn't any I need to adjust where the push rod sits as it doesn't apear to be shifting the bias rod much which in turn isn't pushing the master cylinders so needs playing with, also i cocked up the other and managed to pop a piston out of the caliper and now it's leaking so need to take it off again and re seat the seal :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After our last mapping session it came apparent the brakes don't work, so I'm on the case to get them set up properly as I can't MOT it until they do, I wasn't overly happy how my discs sat in the 6 pots as there such a tight fit over the 24mm wide discs and despite trimming them back they still catch fractionally so looked into some new calipers, couldn't stretch to AP 6 pots but bought these AP 4 pots, reason being AP racing is based in Coventry and Rich knows two people who work there so if ever I need a refurb etc I can get it sorted no worries, got these for a steal tbh came with pads with plenty left on them and some discs with life left as well so will sand blast disc and machine the middle out and keep as a spare

Other purchase is these bad boys

IMO there the sexiest bucket seat out there and are so comfortable and supportive, don't need them yet but will stick them in my "stripped interior" pile along with all the other stuff I keep buying msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove down to work to try and get a move on with my car and do a few other bits and bobs for people, I'm staying down for the weekend as I need to get my car to a point that it can be MOT'd prior to mapping and with PVS looming only round the corner I need to get a move on

Made a start on making the AP Racing 4 pots fit and after a bit of drilling to the mount holes i managed to get them to fit with minimal fuss

Then I needed to reduce down my hubcentric spacers from 15mm to 8.5mm so chucked them on the lathe and turned them down to fit

All done and fully fitted gave them a touch up paint after this picture was taken and I also raised the coilovers by 15mm as it was to low when I drove it last

Will get the other side finished in the morning and bleed them up and go for a test drive to see if that has cured my braking problems, still think the pedal box bias bar needs playing with and possibly moving the pivot point on the pedal as I think that's not right causing nil brakes
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After the last time I worked on the car I managed to lock myself out from under the bonnet as the cable would slip in it's holder and no matter how much you pulled the cable inside the car it wouldn't undo, so managed to sneak a bar inbetween my slam panel and intercooler and push the spring release, not wanting this to happen again I set about fitting my GRP bonnet with it's areo catches, once trial fitted and happy whipped it off again and set about it with the hole cutters and angle grinder

Few coats of paint and lacquer latter and it don't look to bad for a rattle can job even if the Halfords paint is like piss water

While that was drying I decided to quickly fit the GRP boot as well, have bonded my spoiler on and will cut out the holes for the other set of aero catches, I've gone for White lockable ones so it gives me a bit of security

While it was off I thought I better clean all the green mould off from behind the top of the boot, half done in this picture

Boot lid's not the best fit in the world but i'll live with it tbh as the weight saving is un real, also changed the number plate light cover as it was well past it's best, have ordered a rocker cover gasket as have a small leak, hoping to get everything ready for the MOT in the next few days as times ticking down towards PVS :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still waiting on bits to arrive so filling my time doing other jobs, managed to get the bonnet all fitted up and catches on, then got the thermal tape out and layered it up around the manifold area as this will no doubt be giving off some serious heat whilst out on track etc also re fitted the original bonnet stay

All finished, just need to treat a small run in the lacquer

Moved onto the boot then and fitted the bonnet lifters onto it as I want it to still function as a normal car, made some strengthening plates up and riveted and rivnut'd it in place

Removed the old fixings off the bottom corner and fillered over them and smoothed off

Made some lower mounting brackets up

And all finished with a quick squirt of paint over the corners, it's the wrong White but all I had, will go and buy some more correct paint
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still no show on parts ordered so i'm padding out my time doing smaller jobs, my EGT gauge has turned up so fitted that, had to make a boss as it didn't come with one and it's a npt thread so didn't have any taps like that so just drilled out my blanking plug and welded it into there

I then re arranged some gauges, ditched the battery one and moved the oil pressure into it's place

Finally fitted the temperature sender wire for the dash gauge as I had no idea how hot it was running unless the laptop was plugged in, and then hid all the wires to keep with the clutter free look, also removed the bonnet pull cable and spring as there now not needed. Started pre MOT checks and so far just little things like bulbs, wiper blade and a slight blow from an exhaust joint
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been cracking on with the pre mot work today, changed the wiper blade and re plumbed in the washer spray bar on the wiper, also changed the two bulbs that had blown, and changed the rocker cover gasket for a new GM one as the old one was seeping oil in a few places

Then finally got round to fitting the pre filter for the pump

All fitted up, crap picture but you get the gist

Still left to do is sort out some scrubbing noises at the front and re fit the CAT as it's just makes it easyer as the mapping is on the rich side and I haven't been able to prove the engine age yet
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well took it for it's MOT and it failed :cry:

Not on much though tbh:

Headlight alignment N/S
A spot weld had broke off the bulk head bellow the steering rack causing movement (not a hard to fix job for me tbh)
And emissions were out, have ordered a bung so I can weld in a narrow band lambda sensor so that Chip can connect it to my ECU so that he can fine tune the readings

So over all very happy with the short list, was happy the brakes preformed really well and every thing else was spot on, the tester was really sound and let a few minor things slip like the number plates and a bit of wheel scrub on full lock :thumb:

Test station had a sweet ramp set up that was counter sunk so low cars can get on as it's a sunk down 4 poster with a small pit dug out
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on the MOT work, sorted the headlight alignment out and welded the bottom of the bulk head that had split away

The corsa has a flimsy bulkhead like most older vauxhalls so I'm gonna look into making a brace from the steering rack like what saabs have

Had a bit of rubbing on the disc so stripped it off to find the bottom dust guard had been touching so trimmed it down to stop it rubbing as it couldn't be bent far enough back

Lambda bung has turned up, and lambda from omex should of turned up today so will collect that from the mail room Monday and get it all fitted and wired in and just switch the settings on in the ecu
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well sensor turned up so made a start on getting it fitted, welded a bung in and fitted

Then made a loom up for the sensor

Then found out that the wire had been cut right down into the plug :cry:
Managed to cut the plastic down and with some nifty soldering managed to get a wire onto it

Quick play on the laptop and changed a few values and it's all sorted

As usual you fix one problem and another comes up :cry: Got a CV joint on it's way out so will be replacing that soon and also my injectors have decided to start leaking :cry: So re test will have to be pushed back till tomorrow now
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mot re test was a non starter as the fuel leak just wouldn't go was down to damaged O rings must of got damaged squeezing them into the rail

Tried another set but still leaked, another dig around in my spares found another set and they seem to have worked, will order a brand new set to keep as spares

Then disaster struck as my FPR snapped off

So came up with a emergency repair which should fingers crossed be fine at least to get me through the re test which will have to be tomorrow or Friday, I drilled and tapped a push on fitting into it
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well repair to FPR didn't seal 100% as it leaked ever so slightly :cry: Tried doing it up tighter but that then cracked the casing that had been taped so it's bin bound now

So nipped round to Rob's tonight and nicked his spare one, couldn't resist cleaning it up cause it looked really tatty so taped up the pipes and gave it a quick blow over in the sand blaster and then gave it a couple of layers of paint

While I was there he always try's to make me buy stuff so this visit was no different msl:
Got myself a pair of aluminium side mounts for my seats

And I bought these off eBay a while back

Willians 4 point harnesses with quick release, so I now have everything I need for the stripped out interior Won't be doing it just yet but may try and do bits and bobs over the coming months and then just fit the cage over the winter :thumb:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted the FPR this morning and i'm happy to report there are no leaks now so all was set ready to go down to the MOT centre at 4pm, the car had other ideas though and just out the camp gate it decides to start running on 3 cylinders :cry: It seems to me my car just does not want to be MOT'd it must just know i'm gonna kick it's face in round track or up the strip lmao After a quick check under the bonnet that nothing had worked it's way loose some how i had no choice but to carry on to the MOT station as i had no tools with me, car sounded like a subaru and pop and bang on over run so i just took it steady, really need to look at the thermo stat as car seem to get hot and wouldn't cool even with the fan on, limped it there without it boiling over and borrowed a spark plug socket and whipped the plugs out to find number 2 was soaked in fuel, luckily for me i had a spare set of irdium 5's in the car still and stuck them in and all was sorted

The guy checked the bits it had failed on and put it back through the dreaded emissions, first of all my CO's were miles out but the other two readings were fine then i had a little play and managed to get the two down but then the CO's would go up :doh:
In the end a few tricks of the trade and it had a pass
So MOT is all done for another year and will be taxed on tuesday ready for the mapping session on the 5th and then on the rollers on the 8th can't wait

Few things to do before then are:
Sort out thermostat (probably just remove and check for air locks)
Replace two CV joints on the passenger side (it's making a noise now when i apply lock)
Re bleed rear brakes and tweek bias bar and valve
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought myself this today

Comes with a 24,000 mile 2 year garantee, gonna be taking full advantage of that msl:
Was £77 complete which worked out cheaper than buying the cv's separate
dewismotorsport

Got the car in after work and removed the N/S driveshaft and took the CV's off and also stripped the CV's off the new shaft and fitted them on

Re fitted and the noise has now gone so all is good i then decided to swap the front wheels to the back as the tyres are getting low, also re fitted the de cat pipe, re jigged the bonnet mounts and removed the red stick on reflectors which I had to put on for MOT.

Not much left to do before it's first big drive from Plymouth to Coventry, I need to remove and test thermostat and bleed the rear brakes. I may even treat her to a good clean, clay bar and t cut and polish as the paint work is covered in dirty finger marks and tiny rust spots from the grinding I've done next to it.

Getting some more low boost mapping done by Chip Sunday afternoon and some high boost and power runs done on the following Wednesday
dewismotorsport

Took the thermostat out today to test it and it didn't budge when in boiling water, so have removed it for now and will pick a new cool running one up at PVS

Next on the to do list was to fix the speedo as it stopped working, took it out from the gearbox to find the end had snapped off into the holder :cry:

Nicked a complete set up off a scrap corsa on camp and all fitted up and my speedo is now fully working so happy with that for a free fix

Realised I hadn't got my V5 down here at work so can't tax the car :cry:
Thought I'd ring the DVLA to see if I could do it online, after 10 minutes of going through the automated options I get through to some jobsworth who then told me I couldn't have the number! End of the day it's my car and I do have the V5 but just not with me but this guy seemed to think it was as secret as Mi5's files :MSG: So will have to just drive up without it and tax when I get home, as it's at my old mans house an he's on holiday so can't even get the number off him
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as the weather was so nice today I couldn't be arsed to work inside so went and gave my car a good clean as it was looking very tired, its only the second time i've cleaned it like this, the last was before pvs 09 msl: gave it a wash and dry then clay bared it, was amazed at just how much crap was coming of it, gave it a wax to protect it, also cleaned the leather as I've got tyre marks on them, still not fully off but will do tbh as it's all coming out soon anyway

Really happy how the car has scrubbed up, still a bit tatty but it's no show and shine car anyway
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well drove it up to chips in Taunton this evening all was well coolant sat nicely at 90 C the whole way which was good no nasty knocks or bangs so was happy Well until I turned into Chips road where my CV noise came back and the temp shot up and started steaming under the bay while I turned round to pick them up just thought it was an air lock so we carried on to cool it down, did a few runs while Chip worked his magic on the laptop, did a good few more runs and was boosting really well but crept up to 2bar so wastegate not opening so need to check that out, but then disaster the rad must of moved and the wastegate union rubbed a hole in the rad and it pissed out so that was the end of that :cry: Limped it back to his mum and dads and I'm just waiting for the AA to turn up :cry:
So gonna order a new radiator tomorrow and try and turn the wastegate end round slightly and check why it wasn't opening, and try and find out what's making the noise, can't of killed the CV already surely :confused:
Need all this done as it's on the rollers on Wednesday
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well first of all a massive thanks to Chip for the mapping and also thanks to his parents for letting me wait in there house for about 5 hours while I waited for the AA to sort there life's out getting me recovered home, despite me telling them it can't be fixed and I need a flat bed due to it being lowered, 3 different patrols later I finally get back to camp at 0230 Despite me calling them at 7pm :cry: So thanks again mate :beer:

On a plus side it saved me £20 in fuel msl:

Stripped the rad out today and you can see the hole

That this did

Whipped it off

And took it apart so I could spin it round so it doesn't happen again, check that the wastegate opened up fine as for some reason it wasn't regulating the boost the other night and we were reaching 2 bar despite it only being a 1bar wastegate

Worst case I'll need a new larger wastegate as this is a 40mm and it may not be able to ditch that much extra boost so will go for a Tial 44mm I think

Ordered a new radiator so that will be here tomorrow, and have also done an exchange on one of the CV joints as the new ones have started making a noise, will take them off tomorrow and check but for now I will fit the new inner joint and send off the others so that they can check them as there under warranty

Had a rummage through my pile of spares and remembered I had some shafts off a Saab 900 iirc and the outer CV's are the same as the Vauxhall ones, they have no play at all so am gonna use them for outer joints now as I think there a lot better quality than the pattern and the Vauxhall ones

The inners are the same but I can't use them as there a 3 bearing type and the circlip is in totally the wrong place but if your running a Cav or Calibra they would

Comparison of the outers (Saab left, Vauxhall right)

Only difference is the Saab has a better thread and has a crimped nut which does away with the castle nut and split pin and is slightly shorter in thread length but that's normally cut off anyway tbh. Have two so gonna take a spare with me to PVS just incase I kill another on the strip
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New radiator turned up, bargain for £30.50 delivered next day

Cut all the lugs off and fitted the fan

Got a new inner CV under warranty

They didn't have any outers in stock so fitted one of my Saab outers, only little problem with them is that the outer washer needs the middle taking out about 1mm to fit
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the story of today is an up and down one, got to the rollers at about 2pm no dramas on route which was good, once the fiesta had finished we strapped mine on and started doing some low boost runs, all was good starting off about 220bhp on about 10psi, once Chip worked his magic he soon had the numbers creeping up with just a few clicks of the keys, once we got over 270bhp the car just kept lighting the tyres up so the rackets were hung off to get it tighter, another run or two and it was still trying to squirm it's way off the rollers so a drop in psi in the tyre pressures to 20 sorted that for a while, in the end we had one person sat on each wing and me leaning down on the slam panel to keep the car down, in the end we could no longer use 3rd gear as it was too aggressive so up into 4th and that sorted that

The normal high power blower was broke and a crap one was in it's place and my car was getting hot and I'm pretty sure it boiled over about 3 times in total so need to address that issue really

The car must of done over 20 runs with Chip changing the ignition, boost and fueling and you could see by each run the affects it was having, eventually we got up to 385bhp on the last run before we ran out of time, the car is only on a manual boost controller at the minute as we haven't got as far as wiring in the boost solenoid yet, the boost is set at 1.8 bar so still have more to come, and tbh the cars had about 2-3 hours of mapping max so is an awesome achievement on Chips part

We packed up at 5pm and went to the pub as you do, Chip was towing the nova so wasn't a high speed affair so didn't get chance to feel the changes on the road, I pulled into the pub in second and then disaster struck! Car was stuck in second gear :cry: Opened the bonnet to find the tps wedged in the selector fork so thought it was just that (note to self re tap holes for tps) but it weren't it was wedged solid so got pushed into a space, I couldn't believe it tbh all the abuse on the rollers and it dies in the car park of a pub at about 5mph Tried fixing it to no avail was hanging off bars to try wedge it back but it was no good it was stuck solid! I was gutted to say the least and with only a couple of days before PVS I knew I didn't have the bits to fix or the time so the car wouldn't be going

Called my friends the AA again and 2 hours they said before some patrol would come and tell me what I already knew so sat and had a curry and a cheeky strongbow, thinking I could be in worse places to break down and was thinking about just getting on it while I waited, but thought I'd give it one last try so took the handbrake off and removed the gear linkage and rocked the car forward and back in gear and pulled and pushed on the selector fork and it came out of gear :clap: Quickly put it all back together and went for a drive I managed all gears and no harm done so I must of just wedged it in at an angle or something

Was proper chuffed and rang the AA to tell them they could poke there recovery up their arse and went for a blast in it, car feels rapid and spins in the first 3 gears in the dry with 888's on and grips like fuck in fourth and takes off, I'm now re thinking my 450bhp target to be honest as I think 400bhp for the track will be plenty

Overall a good day and am happy to say the car will be at PVS, unless I break it in between now and then msl:

Only got one photo before my phone died but chip has pics and videos on his phone so will get him to send them over to me as well as the all important print out

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Video is up now:

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few pics:

Power Graph:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Peak torque realistically was 350 ish and power 385, it shows 365lbft in a spike on that graph but traction was right on the limit and I think the tyres were kind of grabbing and letting go continuously so its caused some of the little spikes like that and also the boost was flutcuating slightly on the manual boost controller which can cause peaks too (was about 2psi flutter from it).
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good result for a first outing this weekend I thought, 123mph terminal shows its definately making plenty of power, just need to get the boost control linked into the throttle angle to give you a bit more control of it and another second will just fall off that time im sure!

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.0204768 seconds