corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New toyota

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New toyota
Baskey

User status: Offline
15th Aug 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the look of these and love the fact they are going back to cars that are enjoyable to drive rather than just being fast
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Aug 12 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I get the whole drivers car thing but what's wrong with wanting it to have more power as well as being a decent drivers car

Exactly my thoughts... I'm not asking for a 350bhp fat diesel barge, but my car is heavier than this Toyota, with a 2.0 NA engine... and it's faster to 60.

This car is underpowered, regardless of how fast it can go round a roundabout. It doesn't need to double its power, it just needs to be able to hold its own against the ~20k hatchbacks at least

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

15th Aug 12 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
i dont see the problem, just do what everyone does anyway and remap it

its N/A

I believe both Subaru and Toyota did a joint venture on this car

Sure both will get forced induction through the lifecycle of this model
Ryan

15th Aug 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reminds me of the old Hyundai coupe. Don't like.
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its N/A for power delivery, a "better" driving experience.

Again thsi will be lost on 99% of you.

The idea this is underpowered was to make it a car, like the Ford Mustang a culture icon, that you buy the stock car and you can upgrade it how the individual desires, thats why already TRD and other companies have released kits. BUT you dont NEED to modify it like the Mustang to make it good.

To put this into a format you may understand, I owned (at the same time) an E46 M3 and a Clio 182. Both fantastic cars with very diffeent roles, nto really comparable. The M3 had more grip, better steering, better balance, better power delivery, it was infinately faster. BUT 8/10 times i would have taken the Clio as on UK roads, it didnt need to be any quicker, you didnt need to do mach15 to have fun, the way the car responds o you, how you can feel what the chassis is doing, feedback, tactility is all about what makes a great drivers car.

Not how fast you can beat an Audi off the lights.

Each to their own though, if thats your thing fine.
3CorsaMeal

15th Aug 12 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit like a Corrado VR really. N/A Drivers car
SetH

15th Aug 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck yeah Jambo!
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, exactly like that Jim. Voted one of the great FWD cars if im not mistaken.
Baskey

15th Aug 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just about having fun not driving fast.

I spent 2 hours on Friday driving an old rwd mg with no power and a slidey rear end. It was awsome

The drive home in my civic type r was so boring in comparison it depressed me
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing to mention,

they fitted skinnier tyres to the car to REDUCE grip so the car handled better (Thats sure to mess with a few peoples brains on here) as well as make ownership a cheaper prospect.

mwg

15th Aug 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't help but feel people come across a bit condescending when they start sharing their superior drivers car knowledge with the rest of us mere mortals.

Like when the driving gods of the track world have their say too, anyone that hasn't been on a tracks opinion is invalid.

[Edited on 15-08-2012 by mwg]
SetH

15th Aug 12 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mwg quite a few people on here have probably never driven a drivers car and will not get it. Track experience or not.

The most fun I have ever had was in my MR2 Roadster and both my 106 rallyes. Both of which were slow as fuck in a straight line. I was punished a couple of times in both cars with driver errors but quickly learnt how to drive them.

Almost everythign else I have driven since has felt rather benign although most of them fast in straight line.
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apologies if that is so, just trying to make it understood.

Looking at a car, look at 0-60 time. Yup thats shit next is a bit of a daft philosiphy.
BarnshaW

15th Aug 12 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id want the full package though, i would want some decent power, your not goingt o be driving on b roads all the time so what about the other 50% of the time on motorways etc, some torque and power is almost as essential to handling to me IMO of course.

lovely looking car though.
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i said Barny, doesnt have to be slow, its not a slow car IMO 7secs isnt THAT bad!?

But my Clio for e.g (ill shut up in a minute) was fun at 20mph thats the point. Plus you can give it the full beans on public roads, not using 50% throttle etc.. Fell like you are actually "using" the car.

Ill shut up now. Over and out.

Oh and i want a GT86
3CorsaMeal

15th Aug 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0-60mph is bad for a car imo, If you keep achieving the book figure for 0-60mph every day then your car won't last very long.

BarnshaW

15th Aug 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see what your saying jambo, i just think if your spending that sort of money you migth aswell just get the whole hog, why not just eek a bit more power out the engine , even 50hp more would put it above or in the same league as other hot hatches etc.

your right though you might now ever need or use it but would be nice to have it for when you want/need to.

i think 7 secs isnt slow but look at some of the cars being made nowadays, golfs, leons, mazdas etc, 250bhp out the box and more, even make a sportier version with more power to give the buyer a choice
SetH

15th Aug 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Apologies if that is so, just trying to make it understood.

Looking at a car, look at 0-60 time. Yup thats shit next is a bit of a daft philosiphy.

I don't think its possible for most people under the age of 30 to grasp it Jambo (of course there will be exceptions)

Current generation is obsessed with peak bhp/torque figures and their car being white with dark wheels and having that olympics emblem on the front.

to give you an example : A guy in my gym just bought a V8 M3, picks it up on Saturday. Im like good choice buddy, cant wait to see it/go out in it.

A younger guy (21) I think chips in and goes you should have got a 335D mate, they are faster because they have more torque and you are only going to get 12 mpg.

That sums it up, I facepalmed and walked away could not be bothered to explain teh concept of an ///M car and how its not all about straight line speed and monster torque.

To give you an example of the older generation : The old boy that lives accross the road from me is really into his lightweight sports cars, Elise, MX5 etc. He does a lot of track days and is always talking about feedback, chassis, how an exige gave him sore elbows but was worth it as the feedback was superb. Not once does he bang on about peak bhp/torque when I have a car chat with him. Unlike all the young lads I know.

young girls just want white A1`s and mums with bob haircuts white Q7's tbh and dont get anything else
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very true Mark.

And Barney i agree with you, but in the market place for a NEW car then it is bonkers value. Cheaper than an Astra VXR or Megane, whilst they are great its not a purists car and hindered by drivetrain and powerplant.

That doesn't mean they are bad btw before you all jump on me.
whitter45

15th Aug 12 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
i see what your saying jambo, i just think if your spending that sort of money you migth aswell just get the whole hog, why not just eek a bit more power out the engine , even 50hp more would put it above or in the same league as other hot hatches etc.

your right though you might now ever need or use it but would be nice to have it for when you want/need to.

i think 7 secs isnt slow but look at some of the cars being made nowadays, golfs, leons, mazdas etc, 250bhp out the box and more, even make a sportier version with more power to give the buyer a choice

but all those hot hatches do 0 - 60 in mid 6s and early sevens so in reality the toyota is not that far off when looking at those stats

Lets be honest when can you use 250+ BHP on public roads now and even if you can its not for very long

better with a car that feels nice to drive rather than just being quick in a straight line

[Edited on 15-08-2012 by whitter45]
BarnshaW

15th Aug 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just saying I would rather have both, a car which is nice to drive but it also quick, not one or the other.

Its better to have the power and not have to always use it then to not have it at all....
A2H GO

15th Aug 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Barnshaw, times have moved on, even Astras come with 275bhp. This would have been acceptable 10 years ago.
BarnshaW

15th Aug 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at other cars which are rated as best drivers cars, E30 M3, NSX type r etc, these cars like 15/20 years ago were coming with more power as standard, times have changed and brakes , suspension etc have got better, it should be improving!
John

15th Aug 12 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't matter how good a drivers car it is, you'll be embarrassed by a rep mobile at the lights.

No matter what anyone wants to try and say, if you've spent 25k on a sports coupe, you would not be happy about a guy in a skoda trouncing you at the lights or really making a fool of you on the motorway.
Jambo

15th Aug 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
look at other cars which are rated as best drivers cars, E30 M3, NSX type r etc, these cars like 15/20 years ago were coming with more power as standard, times have changed and brakes , suspension etc have got better, it should be improving!

They werent budget cars though.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New toyota 23 database queries in 0.0234740 seconds