corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend football thread - sponsored by the 2nd longest serving Premier League Manager

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekend football thread - sponsored by the 2nd longest serving Premier League Manager
Hammer

User status: Offline
11th Nov 13 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moyes isn't getting enough credit for the turnaround in United's fortunes. He has Rooney and RVP playing better as a partnership than SAF did, mainly down to the fact Rooney has the bit between his teeth just now right enough.

Folk were like a coiled spring with the criticism but are now just expecting the United of old when it isn't as simple as that.
Ben J

11th Nov 13 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Arsenal never turned up yesterday. United weren't much better, just took their chance.

Typical that Arsenal couldn't take advantage of other results.

Both teams were poor. Considering how bad we played, I'm fairly okay with only losing 1-0 and still being top.

Missed Per and Rosicky a lot. Rosicky is a little dynamo at the moment. He's the oil between the cogs.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Arsenal never turned up yesterday. United weren't much better, just took their chance.

Typical that Arsenal couldn't take advantage of other results.
basically this. they had one other good chance, we had 2 and the only diff was the goal. still think RVP is a cunt for celebrating (regardless of the signing, he brought that on himself) - he owes Arsenal and Wenger everything. but hey ho, hes a cunt and we all knew it so meh.

ozil hasnt joined up with the national team due to flu so probs explains his poor performance. rambo was ineffective out wide butr if walcott had been available (or even gnabry not unwell) we may have faired slightly differently but that was the way it is. luckily no-one of any note (other than Utd) pciked up a win so didnt really mean too much, a grace we earned ourselves. ANY fan of any top team wouold have taken 6 points from those 3 games so we can tbe too glum. Walcott + Poldi will be ready after the brea + Rosicky/Per who missed out yesterday and Sanogo/Ox aren;t too far behind so IF we can keep people fit and get the big money striker i think we'll keep ourselves in the mix.

Szcz

Sagna Per Kos Gibbs

Ramsey Flamini

Walcott Ozil Cazorla

ST (Giroud/hopeful new signing)

2 decent GKs, Vermaelen, Monreal, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Gnabry (offers an option), Chamberlain, Podolski and the other striker mean we could be looking damn strong IF we can get a fully fit team with only 1 or 2 missing at a time, rather than the minimum 5 we've had out at any point thus far

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by Robbo]
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexSXI
Opinions on the final table then?

Obviously everyone dropping points is confusing matters, but I still think it'll be something like:

1st & 2nd- Chelsea & ManC (either way round)

3rd, 4th & 5th- Arsenal, Liverpool & ManU (no idea which will drop out)

6th- Spurs

cant see city being anywhere near the title tbh as they simply cant play away from home atm. they need a serious change of fortunes to challenge IMO. Chelsea dont seem to want to walk away with it either and Utd arent as bad as the 8 points they were behind us going into the match. really think any of the "big 4" could win it! Spurs i think have some problems that will prevent them from challneging for the title but theyll certianly be in the mix as will Liverpool, we showed last weekend that if you stop them from scoring they are really quite average but they can still blow away most teams provided they keep suarez (hope they dont as will mean we hopefully get either him or benzema). Reckon the transfer window, a good run of fixtures and injuries may play a big part in deciding who can win it! No doubt that its there for whoever wants it the most this year though!
Steve
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically if you could have been arsed you could of won yeah?
Jamie Walby

11th Nov 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said yesterday I would be happy if Arsenal are still there or there a bouts at xmas. With a view to getting in a signing or 2 in January and seeing if we can push on.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Basically if you could have been arsed you could of won yeah?
think you stifled us well by playign like a bottom half team (parkign the bus), nicked a good goal from a set piece, harassed us well in MF (Rooney) and a few injuries and illness seemed to just mean we hardly put up an effort. you deserved the points as you scored but it was almost the very defn of a 50:50 game
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I said yesterday I would be happy if Arsenal are still there or there a bouts at xmas. With a view to getting in a signing or 2 in January and seeing if we can push on.

absolutely. AW isnt a fan of Jan windows but we clearly need another option upfront (Benzema seems the most likely, unless we put in a cheeky high fee + wages offer for Lewandowski), Gazidis even said we would be after on ein a press interview the other day. id be surpirsed (barring LT injuries) if he went for any other players. Think we need a RB (to cover Sagna) and a proper top DM (Khedira) but really dont think he will do anythign else until summer unless he has too
Steve
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Moyes game plan worked a treat, up until the 30th min and goal United had 60% possession.

At half time and with the loss of Vidic the tactics were changed to stifle Arsenals game and it worked a treat. Had it still been nil nil I have no doubt the possession stats would have been maintained until the goal came.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, you parked the bus, hussled in midfield with rooney and hit us on the break (effectively). rvp was poor (goal aside, obvs) once again against us/koscielny
Cavey

11th Nov 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love orbbos continued optimism at transfer windows
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have £50m in the bank available for use in Jan and our season relies us on adding a new striker, that much is obvious to everyone
Cavey

11th Nov 13 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't mean you've any chance at all of getting Lewandowski.

Also, youve still got Wenger in charge. 1 signing doesnt mean hes changed his ways.

Also Also Jan will only help you in the league. It will be of no use to you in the CL (if you get through) So thats probably why he doesnt like shopping in January.

You list 10 players every window and end up with 1. As I said, I like the optimism
Marc

11th Nov 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All very well saying you have £50m in the bank, doesn't mean the board have any intention of giving you the money, and if they did will the players want to come?
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gazidis actually said 2 days ago that the money is available and he fuilly expects to sign another forward as Giroud can't cope the entire season on his own.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Doesn't mean you've any chance at all of getting Lewandowski.

Also, youve still got Wenger in charge. 1 signing doesnt mean hes changed his ways.

Also Also Jan will only help you in the league. It will be of no use to you in the CL (if you get through) So thats probably why he doesnt like shopping in January.

You list 10 players every window and end up with 1. As I said, I like the optimism
not sayign we do have any chance with Lewandowski, just suggesting if we throw some money his way we may be able to get him. Bayern dont seem to want him atm. 1 signing, when its Ozil, absolutely does mark a changign of the ways. He has to satisfy him now as well as the other players int he squad. No one really likes having to spend big in Jan, and as you say it wont help in CL but cousl be the diff between us challenging for the title or tailing off to a scrap for the top 4.

We would never sign more than 4/5 max at any one time. The Summer was a totla disaster by all accounts thanks to chasing Suarez but we eventually brought in Flamini - who now looks like an inspired signing for nothing - and Ozil. Now we need the cover for Giroud, our challenging on all fronts and Wenger should be ale to attract the players

Edit to say I'd equally take a Llorente/Ba style stop-gap option if needs be and Liverpool refuse to sell Suarez (be it to us or, as expected, Real). We actually have been heavily linked with Pedro all weekend too, weirdly :S

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by Robbo]
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

+ pessimism will get us nowhere, esp when we are 2(/4) points clear at the top of the PL and top of our CL group
Cavey

11th Nov 13 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends on Suarez really, and with liverpool not being in Europe thats a massive plus for Real. If they get him, then Benzema will be available, I'd imagine that'll be your best bet.

I dont rate Pedro too highly, think he'd be shit in the prem too, also I think Messi is out for 6-8 weeks, so that might hamper that.

You would imagine you'll have told MO11 that you'll make more signings so I guess you will have to. But wenger obviously only buys quality (or shit black French kids for cheap) and there's not much of that available, especially in Jan. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens and you fall away to 4th again. Then buy in the summer. Wenger and the board would still be chuffed with that

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by Cavey]
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree on both your first points. The Pedro links are because he and Alexis are swapping week in week out and supposedly Pedro is a confidence player. Be a very odd signing given Walcott and Chamberlain and the fact we need a ST not a RW.

If Suarez (as I expect) is made to stay then I suspect we'll go for a Llorente/Ba make do option. Hopefully up to Jan we can accumulate enough points and then go on a good Cup run a la City the year before they won the title but no doubt this season is shaping up to be our best chance in some years thanks to other teams faltering!
p

11th Nov 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Agree on both your first points. The Pedro links are because he and Alexis are swapping week in week out and supposedly Pedro is a confidence player. Be a very odd signing given Walcott and Chamberlain and the fact we need a ST not a RW.

If Suarez (as I expect) is made to stay then I suspect we'll go for a Llorente/Ba make do option. Hopefully up to Jan we can accumulate enough points and then go on a good Cup run a la City the year before they won the title but no doubt this season is shaping up to be our best chance in some years thanks to other teams faltering!

You won't be getting Ba with our current situation. And, if we said no in the summer, we're hardly saying yes in January to be honest.
Cavey

11th Nov 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Llorente only moved in the summer, is he out of favour then?
p

11th Nov 13 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Llorente only moved in the summer, is he out of favour then?

Not particularly. He was, but he started playing and scoring. Can't see him moving in January when Juve need fire power to push for the title.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, was but now seemingly not. That said, both he and Vucinic have supposedly said they want assurances or they will go
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo

You won't be getting Ba with our current situation. And, if we said no in the summer, we're hardly saying yes in January to be honest.
seems odd to me. my understandign was JM (unsurprisingly) led us along then pulled the plug at the last minute but a lot of papers still insist it was us who pulled the plug as AW didnt want to pay £3m loan fee. If you bring someone else in then perhaps but does seem unlikely.
Robbo

11th Nov 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I say a Llorente/Ba make do option, I mean players like them, but not necy them; just out of favour players looking for 6 month deals to win a contract somehwere else

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend football thread - sponsored by the 2nd longest serving Premier League Manager 23 database queries in 0.0181930 seconds