corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 14 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Don't choose boots online or by their appearance-go to a shop and try on every single pair and take in the experience of the sales person.

This is probably the best bit of advice so far IMO. If the expensive ones fit the best go for them. There is no point saving £50 on a pair of boots to then go out and have a crap day or even finish early because your feed hurt. You could loose that in un-used lift passes within a couple days if its really bad. Two friends have one done this - both had to ditch the boots, one ended up hiring (costing more than the difference to the boots she should have gone for) and the other ended up buying the boots they wanted in the first place paying even more as it was in-resort.

I have the Dual-Boas on mine and I love them as they are easily adjusted. It took me a while to get used to them and did them up WAY to tight to behind with as its possible to do them much tighter than you ever can with a lace. Once I had realised that they were great.
Robbo

3rd Mar 14 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sound advice fellas cheers

i tried quite a few pairs on at Ellis Brighams and Snow+Rock yesterday and these ones felt really good walkign around etc., obvs no idea what they would be like strapped to a board but they seemed good and much better vfm compared to a few pairs of burtons and solomons (?) i tried. would have purchased in store but i knew they were on sale elsewhere and they only had these hideous black and blue pair in my size.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 14:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Faz started it, here are a couple of my photos from last week in Chamonix.

3,300m up Mont Fort, Verbier

[Edited on 03-03-2014 by RichR]
Robbo

3rd Mar 14 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more pics
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a shame that the photos don't show the gradient realistically. The first photo is the black run off the top of Mont Fort in Verbier, the slope is ridiculous enough but the moguls are unlike anything I've ever been in. Stopped at the top for 5 minutes to track a course down and then the little girl in the photo came and dropped straight in which was the kick up the arse needed to stop being a fanny!
Stu

3rd Mar 14 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the first time this year the mountain bored me a little bit! Could have just spent a week in the park me!

Think next year I might have a long weekend at Landgraaf so I can just ride a consistent park for the time Im there
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got perfect off-piste conditions so spent more time off than on-piste. On Piste can definitely get tedious.
CorsAsh

3rd Mar 14 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2500m up in Zillertal last month

On the subject of boots, try walking up a few steps to see how they feel as your shin, foot and toes move around. Gives you a better idea than just rocking backwards and forwards.
Robbo

3rd Mar 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they had me walk up and down a few steps, do some swift circles of the shop floor and some crouching... looked like a right tard ha
Robbo

6th Mar 14 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couple of questions on layering as im a little confused. i get the whole base layer/thermals for wicking, middle wooly layer for warmth and outer shell for waterproofness thing but... what do people do when they stop for apres/lunch etc as they always seem to be wearing a normal lookign t-shirt etc as oppsoed to a long sleeve thermal layer? also, am i right in thiunking thermals should be as tight as possible...?

secondly, im not expectign to be that viugorous on my lesson day so will i need thermals do you think? on one hand, i dont expetc to sweat too much but also not sure if will get a bit chilly just sitting around a lot. obvs its very cold in there but no wind. was plannign to wear a footy top, hoody and the waterproof jacket I bought.

lastly, between the snowboard socks, impact shrots and knee protectors (forcefield limb tubes) they completely cover my legs... they have some bretahable materials and are obv all synthetic or wool so would help with wicking so would i still need thermal bottoms if i were away?

sorry, basic questions but cant quite work out whats for the best!!!

[Edited on 06-03-2014 by Robbo]
RichR
Premium Member

6th Mar 14 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbo, chill out and mtfu!
CorsAsh

6th Mar 14 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thermal underwear first, protection over that, socks on but not overlapping the leggings, pants on, fleece pullover then jacket, helmet, gloves and goggles. I'm usually comfy enough to sit around without my jacket, just the fleece at lunch etc. Just do whatever feels comfy!
CorsAsh

6th Mar 14 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LiveLee name change!!
Rob_Quads

6th Mar 14 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
what do people do when they stop for apres/lunch etc as they always seem to be wearing a normal lookign t-shirt etc as oppsoed to a long sleeve thermal layer? also, am i right in thiunking thermals should be as tight as possible...?

Your probably thinking of during the warmer times then yes people may well just have t-shirts. I normally go in the colder January time and normally wear a thermal top and then just a normal t-shirt (the one from the night before to save on packing) fleece and then jacket. For lunch depending on where we are - inside/out and temp would decide if I keep my fleece on or just wear the thermal and T
Ellis

7th Mar 14 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few images from Mayrhofen / Tirol area last week...

Unfortunately where my friend snowboarding in first picture fractured his spine

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by Ellis]
John

7th Mar 14 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never been skiing but I'd like to think I could judge how hot or cold it was and add or remove layers to adjust my temperature
RichR
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

A friend of mine broke her L1 (?) Vertabrae last week in VT; got helicoptered to Grenoble and was in the room next to Schumacher. Dangerous things these snowboards!

RichR
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
LiveLee name change!!

Ellis

7th Mar 14 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

A friend of mine broke her L1 (?) Vertabrae last week in VT; got helicoptered to Grenoble and was in the room next to Schumacher. Dangerous things these snowboards!

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/10386/hannah_01.jpg

Ouch. We thankfully managed to get our friend onto a stretcher after a period of time. Does the lift pass cover you for helicopter rescue or does travel insurance have to kick in there?
Robbo

7th Mar 14 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Robbo, chill out and mtfu!
im just reading loads atm and seeing pics form people who are away atm and gettign very confused, perhaps its because we're into march now and at least here its quite a bit warmer now :\
Robbo

7th Mar 14 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Thermal underwear first, protection over that, socks on but not overlapping the leggings, pants on, fleece pullover then jacket, helmet, gloves and goggles. I'm usually comfy enough to sit around without my jacket, just the fleece at lunch etc. Just do whatever feels comfy!
Robbo

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
what do people do when they stop for apres/lunch etc as they always seem to be wearing a normal lookign t-shirt etc as oppsoed to a long sleeve thermal layer? also, am i right in thiunking thermals should be as tight as possible...?

Your probably thinking of during the warmer times then yes people may well just have t-shirts. I normally go in the colder January time and normally wear a thermal top and then just a normal t-shirt (the one from the night before to save on packing) fleece and then jacket. For lunch depending on where we are - inside/out and temp would decide if I keep my fleece on or just wear the thermal and T
i reckon so, chars!
Robbo

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've never been skiing but I'd like to think I could judge how hot or cold it was and add or remove layers to adjust my temperature
extra layers aye, its just for the bottom layers where im a tad confused!
Robbo

7th Mar 14 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ouch. We thankfully managed to get our friend onto a stretcher after a period of time. Does the lift pass cover you for helicopter rescue or does travel insurance have to kick in there?
that sucks on all counts! bird im seeing atm basically burst one of her vertabrae (poss also L1?) MTB in Switzerland last Summer and was flat out for a fair few monthys but shes just compelted her strenghtening course and is startign to get back to a decent level of mobility just 7 months on, so not all doom and gloom
RichR
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lift pass doesn't normally cover helicopter, that's covered by insurance, however, many don't cover you for off-piste recovery even if you have cover for off-piste so you can get hit with bills for several thousand euros.

She lives out there and works for a UK based company so her insurance was covered by her employers.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 22 database queries in 0.0162628 seconds