corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  48    49    50    51    52    53    54  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Dec 13 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keep justifying it to myself as follows...

I spend a few K on suspension, few K on the engine, blow the engine up so a few K on a rebuild... oh look I've spent £20k on an Impreza.

Alternatively I could have had a brand new Astra diesel.

No brainer?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daine
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's your money, your car Kyle do what make you happy "one life! Live it" I've got a friend who's
got a Scooby, not as new as your's but never the less has the track day bug!
The car started off as a turbo..... 300bhp

Was a nice quick car, first day out at Mallory Part 2009. the bug set in and he's spent thousand's, cars now
6 speed, closed deck block,Big turbo....etc, etc.

the good news is it's 650 bhp (at least). the guy's like you mate! its been Roger Clark's then Nobbles
at Chesterfield and now its at GGR at swinton.
Its full blown track car now and has an Signam Diesel for daily ( astra was too small ).

Whilst your enjoying it Kyle! do it

BarnshaW

19th Dec 13 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I keep justifying it to myself as follows...

I spend a few K on suspension, few K on the engine, blow the engine up so a few K on a rebuild... oh look I've spent £20k on an Impreza.

Alternatively I could have had a brand new Astra diesel.

No brainer?

you could look at it that way mate, but ont he flip side you could look at it that you can buy them now for 6k in reasonable condition and dropping fast, regardless of what money you chuck at it then there will most likely always be something requiring attention (especially if going on track)

Not talking you out of it by the way, if I could afford to keep one I would, it becomes a full time expense though, I guess no different from any other highly modified car really.

playing devils advocate but for not much more then 20k you could have had an e92 M3, C63 AMG, RS4 or a porka tubby or something , swings and roundabouts really.
BarnshaW

19th Dec 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS - 650bhp and newage standard brembos on the above? brave man.

[Edited on 19-12-2013 by BarnshaW]
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks ace Daine.

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

playing devils advocate but for not much more then 20k you could have had an e92 M3, C63 AMG, RS4 or a porka tubby or something , swings and roundabouts really.

I think modifying any car is going to be expensive, and I'm trying my very best to not cut corners on this one which is causing me additional expense. The clutch for example as you've already said will be fine - but whilst I'm lifting stones up, I might as well clean whatever is under them.

That list of cars is all very nice, but I don't think I could get a "nice" car at the moment and just be happy with it. I've got the tinkering bug and if I want to start tracking/modding any of the above - the cost of consumables will hurt more than with the Scoob. The Impreza is pretty damn cheap to keep buying tyres and brakes for compared to when I was Porsche window shopping a year or so back.

As for the value of my car dropping, the widetracks are retaining nicely and I've not lost a penny. Some lad recently listed his widetrack for £10k, then was sold in a week... but not sure what price was decided on tbh.

I'll never make back the cost of modifications on any car... but like I said, it's not an investment

We're currently trying to sell the house, so I'm being really irresponsible spending the odd bit of cash on the car - so need to kerb it a bit early 2014 so we're in a position to consider some cheeky offers, but once I get a garage and a manshed - it's party time

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daine
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a little bit Scary mate when it comes onto Boost But it's not what you can
drag back when you sell it! it's how much enjoyment you get from doing your thing....."Priceless
mate" or spend the rest of your saying "I wish I'd done". come the nice weather in new year
we'll have to meet up at Cadwell or Croft If you fancy it.
Think hes already book Anglesey 26th May, Open Pitlane 105db..Can't wait..
3CorsaMeal

19th Dec 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People will say could of had a 20k car. But it won't end there. That would soon end up a £25k car. Best to pick a car you like and spend your money improving it. I can't see why people prefer more expensive newer but slower and shitter cars over something you have tweaked and have loads of 0mile parts on it for the same or less money.

At least you'll have a car you know and it's not something you can go and buy on a forecourt from a 25yr old wide boy in a suit.
taylorboosh

19th Dec 13 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im with barnshaw
sharpy28

19th Dec 13 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Im with barnshaw

Congratulations to the both of you, hope your relationship really blossoms
AK

19th Dec 13 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

each to their own... its your car to do as you please

One thing though - do you have any sort of protection for oil surge? I've killed about 3 or 4 Impreza engines through it

Dry Sump on both cars now, but had a lateral baffled sump before that.

Baffled sump, larger baffled sump or an acusump are all good measures

Its endless!
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a baffle plate on my shopping list for when the turbo etc goes on. Also considered an uprated pickup pipe as I heard those can crack...

Probably famous last words, but not sure if my driving is fast enough yet to cause oil surge definitely on the radar though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Dec 13 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will be eventually

I would do that over more power if there is a pecking order
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched a video of a guy in the US swapping his "oil pan". Doesn't look too hard but it's one of those high stakes jobs that I'd be shit scared of

I've heard a few places actually lift the engine for more clearance, but it's doable without...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Dec 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just whip off the headers.... easy peasy
neil h

19th Dec 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would I be right in thinking the issue with the ARB was caused by the bent control arm, rather than the CDF gear? Or was there another issue there?
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Dec 13 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah unfortunately not, the bar was well out because the castor my car was running, and they wanted to push for more.

Drop links also not really long enough, so bar was carrying loads of preload too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

20th Dec 13 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worh getting in touch with CDF and giving them some feedback (assuming you haven't already). The lad on scoobynet always seems reasonable enough.

Makes my decision easier to, I've been trying to decide between CDF and Whiteline for a while now.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Dec 13 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've spoke to him already, tbh all I got was "well nobody else has complained".

Basically he lists his front ARB as "01-07" Impreza's, yet Whiteline do a few to cover that range of cars... (I don't just mean different sizes, but for different levels of castor n' stuff).

Mine is probably fine for a standard 05 car, but I was already running a flipped ALK to add castor to cause them to touch the control arm, and Simon wanted to add even more with his modified control arms which wouldn't have been doable.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

20th Dec 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flipped ALK? As in upside down?

Tbh I've heard design issues mentioned on CDF gear before (like the lack of radiusing on the droplink bushes) and have never really seen a proper answer. So Whiteline it is.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Dec 13 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite flipping the ALK itself, you flip the bolt which goes through the ALK onto the control arm at the back.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

20th Dec 13 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

650hp? must have ripped his passenger door handle off
whitter45

20th Dec 13 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have done a great job and car is fantastic but can't help thinking you have invested so much money into a car you admit you will never fully utilise in terms of mods

Surely the car as you bought it would allow you to use the car to your potential

It is a great car and as long as you enjoy that's what matters
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Dec 13 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the car comments, I certainly don't need any of the power mods I'm planning for next year - but the work I've done on braking and suspension so far I feel pretty happy with.

Even if I'm a long way off of the cars ultimate pace, I will feel much better learning to drive it knowing it's setup correctly and is predictable. The car is seriously night and day to what it was a few weeks ago, conditions haven't been ideal for a proper drive yet - but the grip I've got is a tonne better than it was, car handles straight line speed much better and doesn't scare me anywhere near as much on bumpier roads. I would love to take it back to Cadwell to see how my times compare, I get the feeling it'll be significant.

In hindsight I would probably have bought coilovers that were a few hundred quid cheaper but the other stuff hasn't been particularly excessive. The CDF/Whiteline episode is annoying, should I just have settled for less castor and kept the CDF stuff? Possibly, but once I had the car at Chevron I didn't really want to compromise on the work they could do.

Driving to all the way to Chevron for the work was possibly the most extreme I've been with the car but that was after a couple of questionable experiences locally with suspension setup.

As for the 2014 power plans, I'm still debating in my head where to go on it. The new turbo was an impulse purchase because it came up about £100 cheaper than they normally do, but the car is still catching me out at 320bhp to be honest so I certainly don't NEED any power - but it's kind of addictive to keep planning upgrades and collecting shiny parts.

I'm certainly enjoying the "safety" side of things too, so I think early on my list will be the oil starvation stuff as discussed above with AK and a FMIC. I hear stories of the TMIC being starved for fresh air at "trackday speeds" so a decent FMIC should be considered regardless of power ambitions.

I don't have infinite funds to throw at this car, and I've done most of the "cheap" stuff so things will certainly be slowing down in 2014 with fewer thread updates, but the updates I bring should be big ones

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

20th Dec 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I certainly look forward to the updates next year Is a great car from what you've done

[Edited on 20-12-2013 by SXI - Matt]
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Dec 13 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bagged myself a trackdays worth of Javelin vouchers for my birthday

Means more to spend on going faster

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  48    49    50    51    52    53    54  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0287781 seconds