corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GSI or Honda Civic type R

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra GSI or Honda Civic type R
whitter45

User status: Offline
6th Oct 05 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaControl
quote:
Originally posted by rustyarchs
lol shows how uninformed you are,,

they run superchargers usually made by jackson or tts performance and im afraid they run rather reliably!!

you should get a few of the jap mags and read up on what the little blighters are capabale of when they have been fettled with

point scored...yassss

There is no bolloking way a supercharged type R will do 12 sec. 1/4... !!!

Not without ALOT of work!!! and alot of money!

there are plenty of Astras that are hitting 13/14's which is where the SC civic is likley to be ....

Civics can get 420 BHP out of the £4K conversion so I would imagine thats quick down the 1/4 providing you get traction

Gearboxes are rated to 450 BHP

SJW
Banned

6th Oct 05 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will always get more torque when u increase bhp, however you compare that 420bhp civic against the same power in a turbo car that has shed loads of torque and it will see you off
whitter45

6th Oct 05 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those who have mentioned the Audi S3 - in the real world, they arent that quick (maybe off the line.) CTR will keep up with them happily. unless you chip the S3 of course, as we all know its easy to get silly power for little cash with turbos. a chipped S3 would see quite a few cars off i reckon

read the thread title, im sure it says ASTRA

Read Matty Gs post - im sure he says the CTR is ugly, and his avatar tells me he drives a corsa. My response was to him not to the original thread title. Much like the part about the S3.

Yes this is very true

My TT is booked in for chip in Dec. Power from 225 BHP to 275 BHp but its the torque that will make the difference 207lb/ft to 270 lb/ft

CorsaControl

6th Oct 05 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates Monaro has 410BHP and 400LB/ft of tourque, the power is imense but we agree that the tourque makes it more fun to drive his old cossie recorded 4.4sec to 60 which is as quick to 60 as the Monaro but he says the Monaro is so much more of a grin power delivery / reliablity torque in every gear he went in an Elise the other day and he said it just felt crap, it was quick but you could feel the torque difference, just didn't feel as impressive...??
Jazzy Jefferson

6th Oct 05 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SJW

and i dont think traction it to clever in them also

yes, clearly I am clueless but at least I have the ability to form a sentence.
Ok, so torque is better/faster -
a VW golf, diesel. 2.0 (140PS) torque - 320Nm. CTR - 196NM. Which is faster?? hmm....i wonder. well done mate for proving that torque is a winner.

[Edited on 06-10-2005 by Jazzy Jefferson]
CorsaControl

6th Oct 05 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although yes, Jazzy is correct BHP is better for acceleration.. tourque is better for power in any gear and higher top end...
Tourque is better for driving pleasure IMO
corsa5dr

6th Oct 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Whether torque is better for driving pleasure is personal preference. Many people, including myself enjoy revving the nuts off a car, which is why I own a 106 Gti and will soon own a ITR.

whitter45

6th Oct 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Although yes, Jazzy is correct BHP is better for acceleration.. tourque is better for power in any gear and higher top end...

You need power not torque for high speed mate
dave17

6th Oct 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

weve had so many of these threads

i think wel be known as 'Corsasport - The community for CTR Haters'

face the fact that a CTR is better than most of our cars on here. Its a great car for the money. It has no turbo than can go pop, and a VTEC system has never failed.

interior is nicer on a CTR, it sounds better, better handling.

And its not a souped up Police car
Jazzy Jefferson

6th Oct 05 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa5dr
quote:

Whether torque is better for driving pleasure is personal preference. Many people, including myself enjoy revving the nuts off a car, which is why I own a 106 Gti and will soon own a ITR.

Nice mate. ITR - DC5? or the older shape? either one, they will look the nuts Then you can definitely show the GSi brigade what a real car does none of this torque rubbish
corsa5dr

6th Oct 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DC2 mate, would have loved a DC5 but couldnt afford it. Mmmm Vtec

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=HONDA&model=INTEGRA&variant=&keywords=white&min_pr=8000&max_pr=9000&mileage=5&agerange=&postcode=bA32TG&miles=100&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Top one to be exact

[Edited on 06-10-2005 by corsa5dr]
Corsa_Carl

6th Oct 05 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt even compare the two . . . .

astra gsi all the way, wouldnt even think about a type r
CorsaControl

6th Oct 05 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

You need power not torque for high speed mate

Torque is a measure of power
whitter45

6th Oct 05 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know people who have both these cars and haven driven both and been driven around in both I will say which one I prefer

If I was to buy one of them the Civic would get my vote. It feels faster than the astra, its certainly better built than the astra and more importantly retains its value better than the astra

The astra is a good car but civic has the appeal that the astra tries to have. its a hot hatch trying to change peoples perception of the GTI badge which it did and now all manufacturers are selling cars of a similar DNA

Personally I wouldn't buy either of them

If you could afford it I would go Audi S3 if not then definitley Leon (one that has shread alot of its value as they do depreciate)

What makes me laugh is how everyone worries about peoples perception of the car you drive
Yes there are plenty of dickheads with type r's but how many dick heads own BMW's who think they have the best car on the road

Personally forget people perceptions on what type of people drive certain cars and concentrate on how it drives and how it makes you feel when driving it

One very valid comment people have made is the fact that Type R's are common. If you don't mind paying alot of money for a car that is seen quite frequently on the road then go and buy it.

Drive both and make your own decision on which you like driving

End of the day how many dickheads do you see driving corsa's - I see many. this is not aimed at corsa's drivers by the way cos I used to own a corsa

essay over

[Edited on 06-10-2005 by whitter45]
Ian S

6th Oct 05 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ctrs have shite steering
mattyboy199

6th Oct 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SJW
you will always get more torque when u increase bhp, however you compare that 420bhp civic against the same power in a turbo car that has shed loads of torque and it will see you off

Thats is not true the RX8 comes in 192 & 230 but the 230 engine has a lower torque figure.
Jazzy Jefferson

6th Oct 05 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian S
ctrs have shite steering

it lacks feedback if that's what you mean. Can't deny that, its due to the EPS.
Stu

6th Oct 05 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its funny how the Astra GSI wasnt more popular really?

When all the car mags did the hot hatch tests it didnt seem to be in any of them? It was always Golf, Civic, Clio, Megane? I mean I could be wrong but I have never seen it? Have any car mags done any direct tests with the Astra and the Civic?
mattyboy199

6th Oct 05 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.autoroadtests.com/carindex.php?carorder=0

Stu

6th Oct 05 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the only thing the Astra would win in against the Civic is rarity.

Probably still enough to choose it over the CTR tho!
Tom

6th Oct 05 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I beg to differ, Unless you've got big bhp to go with it, torque is only useless if you've only got it until 5k I love revvy engines
Ojc

6th Oct 05 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GSi all the way, far to many CTR's about, far to much reputation attached to it and looks far to boring.
CorsaControl

6th Oct 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put IMO... IN MY OPINION..

I love engines with lots of torque, pull in any gear at any speed.. rather than raggint he tits off them to get them moving!

I wouldn't say torque is usless without big BHP... maybe for sheer acclereation but drivabllity is more positive and strong when you put your foot down it moves straight away... rather than waiting for it to build up...
mattyboy199

6th Oct 05 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I love engines with lots of torque, pull in any gear at any speed.. rather than raggint he tits off them to get them moving!

I wouldn't say torque is usless without big BHP... maybe for sheer acclereation but drivabllity is more positive and strong when you put your foot down it moves straight away... rather than waiting for it to build up...

I agree the more torque the better, less strain on the engine pulls well & comfortably.
Tom

6th Oct 05 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And every time i post it's imo

I agree it's cool having power their when you want it etc, I suppose I had diesels in mind when reffering to the low rev thing, but also I love vtec's and you inveriably choose between power and torque with such an engine.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GSI or Honda Civic type R 22 database queries in 0.0147998 seconds