corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » NEW PROJECT - Weekend Racer - READ THIS AND REPLY

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NEW PROJECT - Weekend Racer - READ THIS AND REPLY
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Jan 08 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i disagree adam, i think people will use one or the other, same as there is two pubs very close to me, both sell same beer etc, but i only ever visit one
Adam_B

31st Jan 08 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
whenever i next see you, we shall have to get you a proper drive next time.

your more than welcome to drive my diesel corsa

dude

sweet
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 08 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps dilute is not the right word. You just simply mean it'll make CS less busy?

So be it IMO. If that means we need to hatch a plan to grow CS then so be it.

CS is established and boss. I can't see us breaking it without major effort.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep make it less busy is exactly what i mean

im not saying its a bad thing, i like the idea
AndyKent

31st Jan 08 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i disagree adam, i think people will use one or the other, same as there is two pubs very close to me, both sell same beer etc, but i only ever visit one

Not really a problem though - keep WR relatively free of the amount of 'banter' that is on CS and people might use both. Even if they didn't, I reckon the amount of people moving away from CS would be tiny compared to overall membership.

Might have a bit of a lull on CS for a short time when WR is launched, but they'll probably get bored and come back to CS if they want the non-serious chat.
Adam_B

31st Jan 08 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there was 2 pubs near my house that i could instantly click between i would well be alternating between the 2. maybe im wierd then
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 08 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
both sell same beer etc
What if in one you had to bring your own glass of a particular shape but the beer was nice and consistently good, but in the other you could take any glass and take it in to the beer garden would you visit both then?

Really, we've a lot of people keen for this. Whatever minor side-effect you have identified is really not a big problem. Bulk (all?) of OD isn't going for a start, it'll be moderated out in the first five minutes.
Rob B

31st Jan 08 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea defo :d
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent identified any problem i like the idea and even put forward my help, i was just pointing out it may make it less busy
jr

31st Jan 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

steve i think your still wrong, allthough there both technically beer, they are both diffrent, and the people that are intrested in them are diffrent too

if you see what i mean
jr

31st Jan 08 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i havent identified any problem i like the idea and even put forward my help, i was just pointing out it may make it less busy

which is very usefull
Adam_B

31st Jan 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pub analogies FTW
Paul_J

31st Jan 08 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Good idea unless it attracts pricks, chavs and muppets. Don't need more knobs who don't know how to drive risking everyone's lively hood by driving like a twat and not obeying rules.

Perhaps bare that in mind and if people drive like a twat while in the group give them warnings and potential exclusion from future events as a result.

I'll be up for the track days, as usual.

I think this can be overcome quite well, with a good bit of user targetting. Focus on bigger, more powerful cars (ie. not a 1.4 corsa) and you will automatically attract a more sensible, focussed user. Discourage chav posts and I think you'll go a long way.

That not a bit harsh? Someone who has a 1.4 Corsa track prepped and well driven, could be keeping up with bigger cars driven by lousy drivers?

Also working on your assumption, the bigger your bank balance the better driver you are. Just because they're in a expensive or more powerful car doesn't make the driver automatically a good respectful driver, in some cases it's the people in the more powerful cars that drive like cunts, as they see themselves above the little 'hatches'. Do a search for a Castle combe video of Norris's Evo cutting a corner and understeering into a 106 gti, writing both of them off.

This is the problem, you're gonna struggle to filter the members, as the car has no relation to how they will drive and their track etique (spelling).

Also what 1 person thinks is dangerous is different from another. I was hated by PGAC as I used to go out on track with them all, and actually DRIVE my car. The majority of their members would mince around being mobile shicanes to the rest of the people on track, and i'd come flying past them with ease.

They thought I was driving recklessly because i was going a lot quicker, but I had more control than them (but was driving properly, i.e. proper lines, keeping consistant power on etc... they were all over the place and unsettling the car). I was also obeying all track rules and not putting anyone (including myself) in danger.

I think this all needs to be taken into account and thus it's not just a open pitlane free for all, but classes / groups based on driver experience and car etc. Thus all the novices and slow cars are out together, all the medium drivers and cars are out together etc.

The only reason for my concerns is a lot of these 'Track driving' sites are appearing all over the place now. GetonTrack, UKDE and others. Generally since the 'modding scene' has gone from Bodykits to subtle to track prepped... they're attracting a lot of the 'cruise' crowd, mainly posers who don't know how to drive and don't want to drive their expensive 'track prepped' car quickly lol. Believe it or not, generally (in FWD) driving the car consistantly and quickly is safer than someone who drives slowly, braking mid bend, lifting off mid bend, and getting their lines all wrong.

I was talking to jr about weekend racer before christmas and it's a good idea if well maintained and moderated, but a potential disaster if it lets any chav or twat join and go on track.

We'll see what happens, but I'll be up for some track action either way.
ainsley_brader

31st Jan 08 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing you havent really covered is what requirements a member must have and how you are going to 'choose' members.

I for example love motorsport, live very close to cadwell park so visit fairly regularly to watch race meets and i'd love to get into track days but currently can't justify the cost!

So do you have to do trackdays or just have an interest in them?

And if a new member was to register how could you tell wether they had an interest or not?
Adam_B

31st Jan 08 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last friday the guy in the F430 was a right cock, but then again so was the guy in the impreza and the guy in the battered old 5 series. You cant really judge someones behavior on there choice of car. Apart from those guys with VX220's, dam there amazing

[Edited on 31-01-2008 by Adam_B]
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 08 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps we're stereotyping the Corsa driver there but I see that point.

I take on board everything you say there Paul and you're quite right, this is an issue. I'm also sure that we're experienced enough, yourself included, to do the right thing.

As I did make reference to before, not sure if you got it, but I've no issues telling people how it is on or offline.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jan 08 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
And if a new member was to register how could you tell wether they had an interest or not?
You would read what they wrote, mostly.

There's no science to it, you either look like you are a good member or not. There are no barriers up and I'm not going to say you must have spent money on this, that or the other before you get approval. I just think everyone on board should have a clear demonstrated interest in the site. Which most will without even trying I would imagine.
broster
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really like the idea of this, will be nice to have a forum dedicated to the more serious performance people of all ages.
corsa120

31st Jan 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes corsa120 is going to be raped few times this year round couple of days so im game
scottyp1989

31st Jan 08 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a great idea. A few months ago, plans changed for the Corsa, instead of selling I decided I'm keeping it and gradually turn it into a track car. I guess WR could be a great resource for advice on the car thoughout the build process and to introduce me to the track, as I've never had chance to do any track days before.

I can also say, regarding CS becoming less busy, I'll still be on here. CS for banter and probably Corsa specific advice for any problems, Snap day also seems to be getting quite good recently, less photoshop requests more photography advise Then WR for car setup advice and events

Sounds like a winner to me
Graham88

31st Jan 08 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In reference to OD, I can see what you are saying about keeping it seperate. But whilst WR is new all the users on it will be from CS so they can just go on CS, but as it grows you'll get members who obviously won't use CS and banter will slowly creep onto the forum, which you can't just send to CS as they are not on there. Banter/OD is on every forum I know really, as a forum grows it becomes a community and OD comes with that. Just my 2 pence on that really.

I can see WR making me regret selling my Corsa
Robin
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the users to begin with Graham, but there will be users who sign up when WR has gone live, who have never heard of CS.

CS will still be active as there won't be an Off Day on WR, it won't be that type of forum TBH.
Graham88

31st Jan 08 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm saying, in the beginning obviously you can see, "take it to CS" but as it grows the users who sign up won't be on CS and you won't be able to say that anymore.

Even proper car enthusiasts like to have a joke and off topic at somepoints!

[Edited on 31-01-2008 by Graham88]
Robin
Premium Member

31st Jan 08 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but hopefully the users who will be new won't want to talk crap, and will only want to talk car

I see what you're saying, but Off Topic forums are the downfall of most big online communities IMO.

If it's never there, people can't miss it anyway.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » NEW PROJECT - Weekend Racer - READ THIS AND REPLY 22 database queries in 0.0157201 seconds