corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you were building a Corsa B track/road car...

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If you were building a Corsa B track/road car...
jr

User status: Offline
8th Dec 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Gaz is what is going through my mind also. The ease of specifying springs with them helps as well

gaz - cheap through pickford
bilstein - cheap through broster

sorted
Ojc

8th Dec 10 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both around the same price
mwg

8th Dec 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you just buy a better handling car to start with? Like a 106 GTI or Saxo VTS?
Ojc

8th Dec 10 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you taking the piss? This nonsense that Corsas don't handle is codswallop.

Anyway, Vauxhalls is what I know, I have a garage full of parts it doesn't make sense to use anything else.
mwg

8th Dec 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are taking the piss here mate, you had a Clio 172 which is one of the best handling cars going as standard and you get rid of it for a Corsa which you are going to have to spend lots of money on to make it handle and it probably still wont handle as well as the Clio does as standard.

I have had Corsa's too remember, you can make them handle ok but they aren't a patch on the french hatches.

Why don't you just buy a Ford Puma and then we'll all be happy?

[Edited on 08-12-2010 by mwg]
Ojc

8th Dec 10 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think that Clio was all that fantastic. Certainly not as good as people make out, it's not leagues in front of a coilover'd Corsa.
jr

8th Dec 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i still dont get is when will people realise some of us just like vauxhalls

also look at the fun everyone had watching the astea nurburgendy develop and turn into a weapon, and that was deffinatley worse than a corsa sport to begin with
Ojc

8th Dec 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love you.,
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Are you taking the piss? This nonsense that Corsas don't handle is codswallop.

Gotta disagree there holiver!

Yeah vast improvements can be made to the corsa to make it handle a hell of a lot better than standard but due to the front using a lower arm and not a wishbone it'll never be amazing.

(thats not just my thoughts, it came from a guy who tunes Porka track slags for a living)
philip2

8th Dec 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

But if you are going to buy new ones which I assume you would on a new build you may as well pay a little more for the SBD jobbies.

quote:

ollers, just new plastic ones will do, dpnt know any high power 1.8's corsa c with any roller issues! they have improved them years and years ago

ive just spent over £3.5k on building my c16xe up with omegas, steel rods, race springs, caps, spring bases, cams, pump gears etc etc, i spoke to martin bowyer who tbh is one of the best small block builders in the country as well as big block and he doesnt even get them made anymore, in the early years he admits they were shite, but he sticks with the plastic ones now. ive had a plastic one fail....due to the shite torx bolt shearing. but theres a little mod you can do with a cap head that supports the roller better.
Ojc

Corsas I feel handle safely, you always know the limit of the Corsa compared with it's French counter-parts.
mwg

You're all mad as march hares.

And to say you know your way around Vauxhalls - ok fair enough you do but you'll never get to know you're way around other makes if all you do is stick to Vauxhalls

Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

And to say you know your way around Vauxhalls - ok fair enough you do but you'll never get to know you're way around other makes if all you do is stick to Vauxhalls

Easy to stick to what you know though.

If i was to build a kit car say, i would put an XE in it over a Ztec lump as i know my way around them. Even though the Zetecs are supposedly better
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Corsas I feel handle safely, you always know the limit of the Corsa compared with it's French counter-parts.

Its just a shame that the limit is so much lower

I dont think I could face using a corsa on track again since the track cars I've had since.

Even the 205 with much less power was better.

Granted I could have made mine handle much better.... but when it was that uninspiring as standard (not standard, coilovers, braces, sticky tyres, full cage) compared to a 1988 Hot Hatch is doesnt bode well!

Rollers - fair enough, if the plastics are better on the late x16's then just leave them in. I think i'd still opt for metal though

[Edited on 08-12-2010 by AK]
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

If i was to build a kit car say, i would put an XE in it over a Ztec lump as i know my way around them. Even though the Zetecs are supposedly better

I'd go for a screamer X16
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

I'd go for a screamer X16

Not really cost effective though. Your starting 40bhp down for a kick off.

Would have the weight advantage though
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck cost.... just something I've always wanted

I've done the 210bhp 20xe with TB's etc.... I've done the 120+bhp X14...

Just never played with the X16.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
fuck cost.... just something I've always wanted

I've done the 210bhp 20xe with TB's etc.... I've done the 120+bhp X14...

Just never played with the X16.

To be fair if you can afford a Caterham etc to whack it in then you cant be short of cash!

Kit cars are silly money for what they are!
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt I'd pay the premium for a Cat. Just slum it in a Lueguwhatevertheyarecalled 'locost' type build

MK etc
mwg

8th Dec 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yeah but ultimately you are sticking with crap cars when you could open your eyes and get something much better.

I used to be like that when I had my Corsa, Vauxhall was all I was interested in but then I tried some other stuff, realised there is better out there if you are prepared to try it and moved on...
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... amen...

I had 3 of the fuckers in a row. Wasted countless sums of money.

I've now moved on and waste even more money or cars that are better out of the box (but still shit on track as standard)

I do agree with OliveOil though. If this is what he wants, thats what he wants. I wanted corsas back then.... so i had them.

[Edited on 08-12-2010 by AK]
jr

8th Dec 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam you should ahve bought andy hamiltons
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

Yeah but ultimately you are sticking with crap cars when you could open your eyes and get something much better.

I used to be like that when I had my Corsa, Vauxhall was all I was interested in but then I tried some other stuff, realised there is better out there if you are prepared to try it and moved on...

Crap cars yes. Engines, no.

I've prob owned more VW's than Vauxhalls to be fair.

Fave handling car ive had has to be a 206 GiT tbh. Was on rails!
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
I doubt I'd pay the premium for a Cat. Just slum it in a Lueguwhatevertheyarecalled 'locost' type build

MK etc

Even MK aint cheap. Looking at 3k plus. And you don't get a lot for that 3k.

Been looking for bodies for a Spitfire chassis but there dont seem to be any which is a shame
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that was just as I'd given up on the corsas! I did enquire though, and got a price.

It was a fucker on timing too. Dave sold his 2.1 just after i'd rebuilt mine for the 2nd time I think.

Ahhh... where are those vids. I do miss the 2.1 when it actually worked!

THis vid here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AznZfz7DRFQ (vids) it was actually going well untill it dropped a valve guide (2 of in 2 cly) and actually ate them

See me passing our R32 GTR too! It was running about 300bhp then and was on standard suspension etc. First or second trackday for it.

Thats also Mr Stocker in the pas seat

the other 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWv8mj_PLAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIsbT-3xJw

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you were building a Corsa B track/road car... 22 database queries in 0.0207789 seconds