corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
17th Jul 12 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
why spend thousands and thousand on a FWD car

why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza ... and be cheaper to start with?

That looks like a conversation about money.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
nope I definately did not mention a maximum budget

Which is why I am, you said you wanted to know why people spend more when they could do it cheaper.

My point is for spending the same, which will be better. I'm not attempting to find the point at which they will be comparable, I'm saying if you had a budget, where is it better spent.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Ian]
Ojc

17th Jul 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i was pretty much keeping up with a standard e36 m3 on the gp circuit in germany when my puma was standard

it was doing me on the straights, but come a corner i was all over it, and it was twitching all over the place, got a vid of it somewhere

Im sure if i started ahead of it i would have edged away from it over the course of some laps

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Steve]

Don't be ridiculous. Post that video of me in the VXR on the Nordschleife within 20 seconds you are gone
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats different to what you said.

In simple terms i will try and explain in, dont give me a pissy response because i am genuinely asking.

why spend say 1300 on say the puma which is what 1100kg , 125bhp?, then spend money prepping it, making it lighter, improving suspension, ARBs, better brakes all that malarky

when you could say buy a wrx classic for 2k which is say 260bhp, 1250-1300kg , strip that spend a smaller amount in decent tyres and have a car which is a tiny bit heavier, has 4wd and a dif to start with, over a hundred more bhp to start with and will no doubt be quicker round a lap?

its a serious question, if budget is the only answer then it must be REALLY strict because i cant see it costing THAT much over the course of a year, and if it does surely having a faster car warrants that or if its a hobby its money well spent?
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and I dont mean it to be rude but are you seriously telling me a standard puma is as fast around a circuit as an E36 M3? come on
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Impreza would come out costing slightly more, in your example to buy and then to run. Granted not much and you could absorb it. Certainly not enough that you wouldn't do it if you felt you could justify it.

I just think you will drive better in the slower car.

I do think the cost is a factor though, it certainly is for me. I couldn't drive as hard as I do knowing the cost to bend it or blow it up. I have a farm yard full of Puma spares which by the time you've sold a few sets of alloys are all free.

I might even go there at some point, I always said I'd have an E36 M3 after the Puma then never got around to it.

Needs buying, prepping, new bigger trailer, etc. etc. FWD does me for the minute.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
and I dont mean it to be rude but are you seriously telling me a standard puma is as fast around a circuit as an E36 M3? come on

No, I was saying a Puma for the same price as the M3.

Cheapest M3 on PH right now is £2900. That's a well prepped hatchback considering I buy them for about £250 each.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edit to include selling M3 bits, that would give you a bit less outlay....
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

point taken on board, sorry i was referring to steves comment about leaving M3s behind in his standard car, I just genuinely cannot see it myself.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course not, except when you start factoring in the drivers. Its too difficult to make direct comparisons because those same cars which are slower also need to get that guy to work on Monday. Its not a like for like thing.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
i was pretty much keeping up with a standard e36 m3 on the gp circuit in germany when my puma was standard

it was doing me on the straights, but come a corner i was all over it, and it was twitching all over the place, got a vid of it somewhere

Im sure if i started ahead of it i would have edged away from it over the course of some laps

Don't be ridiculous. Post that video of me in the VXR on the Nordschleife within 20 seconds you are gone

your vxr was a lot quicker than a standard e36 m3 and on a longer stretch you will pull away as im sure an e36 m3 would, but the gp track is a lot tighter more like a go kart track, iv got a vid somewhere of you not making a massive lot of ground on the gp track actually took you a lot longer to get past, and theres also a vid of ian showing you up at combe iirc
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't show him up he just didn't pass.

There are a few times when he had the legs just didn't go for it.
Ojc

17th Jul 12 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not showing me up I could have got past Ian but he drives with such disregard for safety I didn't want to brake that second later just to get past on a track day

You fucking prick

Edit; his own safety his driving on track is perfectly safe just not something I'd be doing in a 20k car

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Ojc]
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
he drives with such disregard for safety
thanks babe
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt know they done a turbo puma? says on wiki they done 500 ST160 pumas?
Ojc

17th Jul 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edited
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ST160 is the pre-production name for Racing Puma.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically its quite simple.

Power is the greatest substitute for talent.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yes misread that, its a good thread this one though.

i also think it depends where you live, where i live now its mostly motorway driving and dual carriageways, therefore power is more essential over handling

but I was down in devon few weeks ago for some time and without a question of a doubt the roads down there would be much better suited to a smaller nippier car you could chuck about.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by BarnshaW]
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here we go

ojc comes into my rear view site about 2:20, and he gets passed eventually, but hes still in site up until about the 5 min mark, and at one point gets a massive lead due to the legs down the main straight but as soon as he gets to the corner he gets caught back up again, there are even points when he was behind i actually pulled away through series of corners and his car was a lot quicker than a e36 m3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27H8J2xDVk

lest not forget, this is a standard 125bhp puma here against a 280bhp astra, with a diff at the time if im not mistaken

Corsa_Sport21

17th Jul 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolute power corrupts, absolutely
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

post it then .
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
here we go

ojc comes into my rear view site about 2:20, and he gets passed eventually, but hes still in site up until about the 5 min mark, and at one point gets a massive lead due to the legs down the main straight but as soon as he gets to the corner he gets caught back up again, there are even points when he was behind i actually pulled away through series of corners and his car was a lot quicker than a e36 m3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27H8J2xDVk

lest not forget, this is a standard 125bhp puma here against a 280bhp astra, with a diff at the time if im not mistaken

so what you are saying is handing is better! /end thread
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's so hard to tell what's faster on track because there's so many variables. I've previously passed Gav in his supercharged Civic, not because my Corsa's faster but because it was wet, he was on road tyres and had to drive it home where I had a trailer and much less money invested in the car.

I do believe that you learn more in a slow car though. I started out in a 1.2 Corsa and after a couple of events I got bored of leaving the pits for everything to pass me and leave me behind so without the option of changing my car (couldn't afford to) I had to learn to drive properly to become competitive and not just get left behind to drive around on my own. Some people seem to start out in a powerful car and just use the power to keep ahead on the straights but hold everyone up in the corners, which just annoys all the people that drive properly on track days.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0227299 seconds