corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  61    62    63    64    65    66    67  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jul 14 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Id be expecting them to fix that

Yeah they're being good about it. Not worried about it getting it sorted, going to phone him on Monday and talk about me contributing and getting the winglet damage fixed too (that happened when it got towed that time).

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£150+VAT to get the front bumper resprayed and I'll write off the headlight as I've got the JDM ones sat at home.

Garage will cover the £150+VAT, I think it's a fair price. Bodyshop is confident that it's paint only - no filler will be needed which I was struggling to gauge from the photographs.

Hopefully will have it sorted before I get home, then can forget it ever happened

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

8th Jul 14 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Connecting or disconnecting the charger while its turned on does that. Usually disconnecting.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't say I've ever used a car battery charger before, they said the equipment failed but they could just be "protecting" somebody who made a mistake.

Whatever, it'll be sorted and I've got another MOT in the book!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

8th Jul 14 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well harsh on your mate. This is exactly why I don't like doing favours for anyone, as something usually goes wrong.

Personally, i'd be getting them to replace the headlamp aswell. It's their mess to sort and you could've sold the headlamps on.

Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
It's their mess to sort and you could've sold the headlamps on.

That's true.

I can't remember if I posted in this thread about this already, but my mate has got a history with MOTs.

He used to drive a rotten Micra, took it for MOT and they said it needed sills welding. He got a call about a day into the job, to be told there had been an accident and the car had gone up in flames

He's approximately 0% responsible for this, he sounded gutted on the phone when he told me - but I just laughed it off, he's been doing me a huge favour keeping the car - and I owe him big time.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

9th Jul 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really? when was that?
taylorboosh

9th Jul 14 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont see how it could be his fault at all tbh
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jul 14 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
really? when was that?

Yeah, early this year or maybe late last - can't remember. He took it to Savloy Sausage near Longs Corner, they referred it to some welder in Gilberdyke(?) I think - who then torched it

Car was fine after they replaced half the interior - which didn't match, so had a two-tone interior until he traded it in earlier this year

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

9th Jul 14 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I dont see how it could be his fault at all tbh

His mate? I'm not saying it's his fault. I'm saying it's harsh for Kyles friend who done him a favour.

I'd feel a bit gutted too.

I remember I once took my mate to the gym after work. At a junction we went straight up. Instead of going right. Straight after that, a silly bird drove into the side of my car. Always happens when you're helping someone out.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jul 14 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blyton Park booked for 16th August, anyone else fancy it? (Chris?)

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jul 14 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been home since late Friday night, had a few blasts in the Impreza - love it

Roped Simon_16V into yet another suspension change on this car today - this time on with the KWs, FINALLY!

Reminder of what I'm working with:

Rear old vs New, note I'm now running Group N soft rear mounts rather than solid camber plates.

And comparison of the fronts, camber/castor plates on the front from Whiteline.

Rear fitted..

...and the front.

Only very loosely "set" these up, as it's going for alignment and corner weighting tomorrow.

Check out this droop compared to the BCs:

KWs..

BCs...

Took it out for a ride, no knocks, creaks, rattles or odd behaviour. Setup is all over the place, so no comments on handling for a few weeks.

Car will be taken to TrackTorque for setup whilst I'm in Florida, then next time I'll properly drive it is Blyton Park on the 16th Aug!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much were the BC and KW setups Kyle

noticed a couple of clicks coming from my rears which I may have to change soon
3CorsaMeal

28th Jul 14 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My kw stuff took some massive bumps/potholes. Was quite impressed with the durability of them. Sometimes wonder if I should of sold them really
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

BC = £1300 new, I paid £1000
KW = £1750 new, but exclude top mounts... So £2k, I paid about £1300 because I blagged loyalty discount from a knackered set I bought on eBay

Its the "premium" coilovers from each brand, BCs start at £700 iirc. I'd highly recommend NOT fitting solid top mounts at the rear.

If you're on OEM shocks, there is a DIY fix for the rear clicking... Its in my thread, somewhere

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i think i would be up for that actually..

just checked the attendees list, 911 GT3 and 430.. should be interesting.

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by chris_uk]
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha yeah, need to charm my way into a ride of the Ferrari!

Be nice to have a ride in yours too if you're going!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i think ill be going.. your more than welcome mate
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

BC = £1300 new, I paid £1000
KW = £1750 new, but exclude top mounts... So £2k, I paid about £1300 because I blagged loyalty discount from a knackered set I bought on eBay

Its the "premium" coilovers from each brand, BCs start at £700 iirc. I'd highly recommend NOT fitting solid top mounts at the rear.

If you're on OEM shocks, there is a DIY fix for the rear clicking... Its in my thread, somewhere

Yeh I did have a read, the clicking doesn't really bother me as I kno it's a known issue, the car still handles perfectly, can't be asked with faffing about on re-greasing, I'll just cut out the middle man and do what you did in the end and buy new coil overs instead lol

Won't be for ages yet though, cars fine as it is
Wrighty

31st Jul 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kyle faffing...never

now im wondering how long you will keep the KW's before upgrading to Nitrons
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Aug 14 at 00:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will keep the KWs until the springs pick up a bit of rust I guess.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Aug 14 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
kyle faffing...never

now im wondering how long you will keep the KW's before upgrading to Nitrons

Nitrons
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Aug 14 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Update, at last!

I got back to the UK early on thursday, collected my car from Track Torque in Tockwith on Friday afternoon, and then did a Blyton Park trackday on saturday. Today I took my car back to storage again

The guys at Tockwith basically setup/aligned my new KW coilovers and then corner weighted/balanced the car. I don't have the settings to hand, left them in the glovebox, but the weight was 1460KG (FAT!) with full interior. It was balanced 60/40 front/rear and 49.7/50.3 left/right assuming a 200lbs driver and a 200lbs passenger.

Ride height is probably lower than I've ever had it.

Got to Blyton having done literally only the mileage home from Tockwith then the mileage to the track, but no knocks, rattles or worrying signs from the new suspension/setup.

Weather was cloudy, windy and cool - felt like rain was in the air.

I was attending with Simon_16v as a passenger, and then a work colleague doing his first trackday in his Clio 182 and his neighbour, also in a 182.

Went out on sighting laps, no drama - except a few pinpricks of rain as we came back in. Luckily that's all we had all day!

Onto my first quick laps, UNDERSTEER! On the two corners "Bishops" and "Bunga Bunga" I was actually struggling to get enough lock on the wheel to get me around, but nonetheless the car "felt" quicker than my previous visit... probably because I'd not driven the car in 3 months and it was just catching me out again. The car would start sliding forwards on turn in, then applying more power just pushed me towards (and over ) the kerbs.

I went back to the paddock a little bit disappointed and started thinking about ARB settings and playing with the bump/rebound on the shocks - but then decided to try and remedy it with my adjustable centre diff, as it had been in "auto" on the first run.

I went back out with the Diff about 70% open (70% of my adjustment range anyway) and after a couple of warm up laps, I really pushed on. This time when I got on the gas mid corner, I felt the car rotate into the turn a bit more - and with the occasional flick of the back wheels - I was then able to carry much more speed through the turns. I continued to diff tinker all day, and ultimately ended up about 90% open.

The remaining morning sessions went without drama, a kitcar about 200m up the road lost his engine cover to cause a red flag - but other than that a quiet morning.

In the afternoon I felt my pace pick up a bit, but I got an ever increasing feeling that my R888 tyres were ready for the bin, and might explain why I had more understeer than last time. The tyres were useless it seemed in the first couple of laps of a session, then came quite good, then started fading again towards the end of my session - and it seemed like this optimal window just got worse and worse. Remember I bought these tyres second hand, and they've now done three full days in my hands too - so maybe they've just done too many heat cycles... or I'm making excuses

My pace on the day was pretty good compared to the other cars I was on track with, I probably only needed to let 3 cars past all day - one was an Audi R8 and the others were on full slick tyres, and I was consistently reeling in an elise and the lotus7 style cars that I shared the track with (though a couple I never drove with at the same time looked MEGA fast from the spectator bank). It seems like Cadwell was a lifetime ago when I was letting pretty much every car on track past me.

The Afternoon involved a 63 plate Caterham smashing the barrier after a spin on the penultimate corner, but the red flags overall barely took up any track time. At about 4pm, I dipped below 1/2 tank of fuel (refuelled at lunch) and then I started getting the same fuelsurge symptoms as last time on the "the wiggler". It was exactly the same corner and exactly the same fuel level at exactly the same time of day. I could "drive around it" by short shifting on exit and just cruising a bit around that corner in general.

Getting 98/99 RON fuel at Blyton is a PITA, so staying above half a tank all day will require either wasting an hour of track time, or taking Jerrycans. Or an LPG conversion

I wasn't running a laptimer this time, so need to analyse my gopro footage to see if I was faster than last time, though some improvements from last time:

- My rotational scuffing sound didn't occur, meaning my dremel work on the rear hub worked.

- No noise warnings this time, despite no changes. I'd taken my old backbox just in case, but it was a wasted effort in the end.

- I ran out of steam before the car needed to come in, so it's good to know the car has the stamina for a track day.

Some issues or things to address for next time:

- Tyres, think I'll get A048's.

- I was struggling to stay in my seat. Not sure if it's the 15lbs I put on in the US or the added lateral G forces from my new suspension I'm not sure what I can do, obviously bucket seats and a harness - but hoping not to go so drastic. It really was uncomfortable though, and was slowing me down in some of the faster corners I reckon.

- My brakes handled the day fine, with no fade - but the passenger rides I had in Clio's made me feel like the Impreza was stopping like a dog. Not sure if more disc/pad experiments can help that, or just bite the bullet and go 6pot... or am I chasing something I'll never achieve in a 1460kg car?

Will sort out GoPro stuff on the plane tomorrow probably, then upload once back in the States.

Some pics.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Aug 14 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good mate.

i went to book it and there was lads of spaces left, left it litterally a day came back and it was fully booked..

i was gutted.

so im going to do croft on the 29th instead.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Aug 14 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon said the same about booking, wonder if a big party/club booked.

I'll keep an eye on your thread for Croft updates!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  61    62    63    64    65    66    67  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0337260 seconds