corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  63    64    65    66    67    68    69  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
neil h

User status: Offline
30th Aug 14 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I say, several companies do a club spec HANS device that comes in below £300. Which isn't too bad for a bit of safety kit. Tbh if you've got your own helmet and are going to fit a harness, then it makes sense really.

£275 won't seem so bad if your head falls off lol.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
£275 won't seem so bad if your head falls off lol.

Agreed, would need a new hat too with the HANS lugs on it.

It's not the money I object to, I'd just feel like an absolute tit at a TD with a HANS device on Terrible attitude I know, but I've never seen a single HANS user at a TD yet so I don't think it's just me

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

30th Aug 14 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I wouldn't go out of my way to get one but if your replacing your lid then I'd get one with the lugs on. Least the way you've got the option.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next new helmet will be when I build my pipe-dream 7 replica and I need a full face one

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some brand spanking 225/45/17 R888's (medium compound) are on their way to a friends house. Looking forward to those, as there's a fair chance that I've never had anywhere near the best out of the current set.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

3rd Sep 14 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wear HANS device, boots and gloves at trackdays.... stop short of the race suit

Embrace safety.... you never know what'll happen next.

This crash - standard seat and belt for psgr. Sore neck and beck, and still bothered with it years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d70Wa9TAXpI

hehe, that vid still makes me chuckle. Think i'd just broken another Corsa 2.1 TB engine, so jumped in the GTR for its first outing. It was like a jelly on a plate. 2006!

This crash.... basic neck brace, 5pt harnesses. Little bit stiff the next day

This crash... not a scratch, HANS, head protection seat, 6pt cage, gusseted T45 cage, foam filled fuel cell with roll-over vents etc

Not saying you need all that, but if you have the budget for a HANS device, get one.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What tyre pressures do you run on the Impreza's AK? I can't remember if you said you used R888s or not but I'm trying to find out what my "safe range" for adjustment is when they're warm.

I've been rocking up with around 24psi front and 22psi rear at whatever temperature the tyres are at between my house and the petrol station Need to really check them after a track session I guess, as the pressures could have another significant impact on my car.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

4th Sep 14 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like how you dont take it seriously enough for extra safety measures bit are checking tyre temps lol
AK

4th Sep 14 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on your car i'd aim 30/31 psi hot but fine tune to your preference. Remember the tyres will require scrubbed in - If you drive to track that should sort that out.

Cold - Our cars are prob a good couple of hundred KG lighter so require less air..... 22/23psi start front, 23/24 rear then bleed down to suit (prob 28 hot on mine all round)
chris_uk
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to find out the working temp really, i spoke to a toyo tyre man and they said just aim for 30psi hot.

So just go out and come in on a fast lap, jump out and check the pressures, you want to aim it so they theyvare all over 30 so you can drop them to 30.. On e they are set they should be ok for the rest of the day unless you get some decent weather changes.

Thats what i do anyway, seems to work.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I like how you dont take it seriously enough for extra safety measures bit are checking tyre temps lol

I take safety very seriously man, I'm still very slow around track though (considering what I'm driving) and I'm probably still at 7/10 capacity on track. I'm not naive enough to think that will stop me having an accident, but it's a mitigating factor in me not having a full on roll cage, harness and HANS setup.

I've never claimed to be a track god, but I'm loving the learning curve and thoroughly enjoying my progress. I'll soon be at a cross roads at which point I decide whether to move the car on, by a VAG diesel and a dedicated "track toy" or buy the VAG diesel and get crazy on the Impreza. If I go crazy on the Impreza, interior will be out and all of the aforementioned safety bits will be in along with plumbed in fire extinguishers etc.

I'd hardly class being concerned about tyre pressures being a measure of how serious I am. Pressures can potentially influence perfomance more than a 2k set of coilovers, so makes sense to evaluate them no?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
So just go out and come in on a fast lap, jump out and check the pressures, you want to aim it so they theyvare all over 30 so you can drop them to 30.. On e they are set they should be ok for the rest of the day unless you get some decent weather changes.

Sounds sensible

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

4th Sep 14 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do realise i was taking the piss right?
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, sorry

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

4th Sep 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm emotionally delicate man in this strange country all on my own. Tyre pressures are all I've got to retain sanity.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

4th Sep 14 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a corsa imo
Simon_16v

4th Sep 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Get a corsa imo

Are you still taking the piss?
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sexy

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK, just going back to the fuel surge topic.

I believe Spec C STI's were fitted with a plastic box shroud over the fuel filter sock, to try and hold a bit of fuel near the sock at all times.

It appears that ALL USDM STIs were fitted with that part, I've seen them for 250quid or more on UK forums but there's one on the US eBay right now which is $100 delivered.... seems like it's worth a punt?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-FUEL-PUMP-ASSEMBLY-WITH-WALBRO-FUEL-PUMP-05-/111453104083?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f31f67d3&vxp=mtr

Getting it back home in October might be a problem, without stinking one of my cases out

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

6th Sep 14 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

worth a try.... a long sock or lowering the pump/sock would work too
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.php?28977-Rare-spec-c-anti-surge-fuel-pot

This thread suggests I could just bring the box and bracket home, and leave the rest of the assembly in the US. There's a few on eBay, cheapest is $70inc postage so not bad at all really.

Found another post on 22B of someone selling the full assembly for 350quid

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

6th Sep 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id buy a few then make a tidy profit at home
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Id buy a few then make a tidy profit at home

Might be worth a go... it's taking something through an airport that stinks of fuel that worries me though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

6th Sep 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be areet

<<  63    64    65    66    67    68    69  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0279241 seconds