corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  65    66    67    68    69    70    71  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
10th Oct 14 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweeeet!
bigron1988

10th Oct 14 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of interest whats the price of the injectors over there
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Oct 14 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$450 I think they were, so a nip under 300quid.

They're 520quid on the first UK site I went to...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Oct 14 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I landed home at 8am yesterday, then was at the bodyshop 2 hours later to collect the car.

Reminder of the jobs done:

Repair and repaint of front bumper
Replace my headlights with JDM ones and custom wiring for them.
Respray bonnet, scoop and wings
Replace windscreen and paint windscreen surround and roof.

At first glance, the paint looks good. The colour is spot on (to my eyes in the lighting I've seen it in) and other than what seems to be a bit of dust under the lacquer on the roof - a good finish too.

You've really got to look for the spec of dust, and it may even be something that will polish/clay out if it's not actually under the lacquer.

I hope to polish and seal the car later next week to really get "intimate' with the paintwork and I'm sure I'll spot any other issues if they are present.

Some useless pics coming up, you can't tell jack shit about the paintwork from these!

First off a "before" with the old lights:

Then some afters:

When I first bought the car it was fog clover stickerless like it is now. I hated it when I first got the car, but I actually quite like it now - so it may stay.

The car had a couple of niggles when I collected, first up the boost gauge had no power... which was odd because the gauges all take daisychained power off of each other. I disconnected all the gauges and re-wired them in a different order and it worked again The gauge however is still not quite right, it seems to measure vacuum fine but on full boost it doesn't get any higher than 5psi - and its most certainly boosting higher than that

Second, the new headlights have not been aligned in the slightest - I dazzled about 100 drivers last night. Sorry

Got fuel pump to fettle this week, plus a basic levels check and a good clean, polish and protect - then Blyton in a weeks time

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

19th Oct 14 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beautiful as always!

I had issues dazzling people with my lights until my mate got pissed off with me and pulled me over when In convoy
Can easily adjust on mine though.

I'm currently on the search for a WR1 will be next year I think now, no point selling a convertible in winter.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 14 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Beautiful as always!

I had issues dazzling people with my lights until my mate got pissed off with me and pulled me over when In convoy
Can easily adjust on mine though.

I'm currently on the search for a WR1 will be next year I think now, no point selling a convertible in winter.

Thanks Gav.

I looked at WR1's too. If you've got your heart set on one, don't let me put you off - but bang for buck there are better specced' impreza's around, you're just paying for the "exclusivity" and they're not even THAT rare!

Colour is only thing about them that's unique, and it's a bit marmite.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

20th Oct 14 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's only the colour I'm bothered about for the wr1.
The only other colour I would have is grey like yours, wish they did a red wrx sti
A friend has a white hawkeye, I'd love one but couldn't live with the 2.5 worry.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 14 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough Gav, let me know when you're on the hunt for real

Couple of updates from the last two days.

First up, pulled my fuel pump assembly out to figure out this anti-surge box. At first glance it seems it won't fit.

The USDM one that I bought had a 90degrees plastic elbow connecting the pickup sock to the pump - allowing the box to sit at an approximate 90degrees angle from the assembly.

My pump however has got the sock attached inline, so the box can't fit in that way:

This is my pump:

This is the USDM one, notice the elbow going into the box:

As I was concerned with shipping certain parts of the old assembly back... the sock got left behind. I've e-mailed the manufacturers of my pump to see if they recommend anything - but might just be a job for a 90degrees bit of fuel hose of the appropriate size.

Moving on from that, my boost gauge is still faulty. It gets power now, but only boosts up to 5psi still. Going to see if I can get a warranty replacement on the boost sender I bought a few months ago. If that doesn't sort it, new gauge time I guess.

Finally, I had a surprise delivery card for the postman.

Had a poke around it, it seems to be all in good order. Compressor wheel is indeed new and has a funky kind of double bladed blade design... no idea how to describe it

Going to drive it to AET turbos I think, they're not far from me and apparently its got one of their compressor wheels in it. I'll have them check it over before it goes near my engine bay.

Also got me a fire extinguisher and a bracket that should fit my seat rail bolts. Extinguisher is bloody tiny and will be good for putting fags out, and that''s about it. It's a racing one though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Oct 14 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some satisfying progress to my job list today.

Took the car at lunch to a local garage, the same guys who towed me a few months ago when my radiator went pop.

They charged me 30quid to change the four R888's and align my headlights to MOT standard. Happy with that.

Next up, got home with about 20mins of daylight left so had a quick poke in the engine bay to see if any hoses were kinked or something to stop the boost gauge topping out at 5psi.

About an inch from my boost sender is an in-line filter which apparently protects the sender.

I fondled it gently in my fingers and it just fell apart in my hand The filter disapeared somewhere in the car and the casing split in half down its seam. I bypassed it completely and took the car for a spin, of course the gauge now boosts up to 23-24psi as expected. Result, it's a 2.99 part so serves me right for being so cheap I guess

I got some insurance quotes too today, as I'm due on 2nd November. My existing insurer hasn't even sent renewal yet which is annoying, but Greenlight came good with a 599quid quote, with a 65quid per trackday bolt on option to cover trackdays.

The Greenlight quote was also with mods declared which I don't even have yet, such as turbo, intercooler, etc.

Finally went and bought the most expensive tank of fuel I've bought in 6 months

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

22nd Oct 14 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vpower is cheap at the moment though atleast. Think I paid 1.32 yesterday
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 05:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is indeed not badly priced.

I have been filling up a V6 Ford Explorer for about 20p though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

23rd Oct 14 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me that's the turbo from Scotland?!?!?!
Simon_16v

23rd Oct 14 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Tell me that's the turbo from Scotland?!?!?!

Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sure is Matt.

Who knows, maybe your visit shocked him into sorting his shit?!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

24th Oct 14 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah winner!!! Glad you've got it back was well annoyed when I came back empty handed!!

Who knows ay main thing is its back!! now let's hope it tests ok
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 14 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, very glad - whether or not you directly got my turbo back, I'm almost sure you contributed so please be aware of my gratitude!

Whether the turbo will explode spectacularly the first time gas is running through it though is another question, and I'm inquiring about local options for health checking it before it's bolted to the car.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 14 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of fuel related items last night:

I put a post up on ScoobyNet explaining my fitment issues with my fuel pump filter. A kind member came forward with the offer of a brand new Walbro one which was still in its' packet. He wouldn't take a penny for it, wouldn't even let me pay for postage!

As you can barely see from the pic, the hose is offset to one side so it fits the surge box better, and the tube is also angled.

Next up:

Enough said

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

24th Oct 14 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must say im disapointed with the lack of cats in these photos - Milo will be in all mine
Wrighty

24th Oct 14 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a lot 'cleaner' without the fog stickers and them wheels need to stay for sure. Glad you got turbo sorted
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Oct 14 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Must say im disapointed with the lack of cats in these photos - Milo will be in all mine

Sorry, she's got arse on with me for being away I think

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Looks a lot 'cleaner' without the fog stickers and them wheels need to stay for sure. Glad you got turbo sorted

Yep agreed, wheels need tidying up before they can be considered my "normal" wheels. Thinking of some new wheels next year, and want these track ones painting gold.

Cleaned the car today, hand polished and waxed and after being intimate with the paint for a couple of hours I remain satisfied with the job which the paintshop did. It isn't perfect, I've spotted a couple of imperfections but it's significantly less imperfect than it was before - and some of it may be resolvable with some claying and machine polishing.

All loaded up for Blyton tomorrow, more pics and vids to follow!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Oct 14 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another trackday survived, and some nice progress with the car too.

Met some people today, including a CS'er and some other local petrolheads!

Got to the circuit for 08 : 00-ish, nothing to really tinker with on the car so just mooched about until the briefing. Weather was cold, certainly not Atlanta hot anyway It did however stay dry all day, which is good!

I got into the queue as soon as the sighting laps were done, and headed out on track. I knew my tyre pressures would be sky-high as they were at 32/30 whilst clap-cold.

Sure enough the car felt floaty and I couldn't really lean on the tyres at all, so came in and as quickly as possible checked pressures - which were all between 39 and 41 PSI.

Dropped them down to 32/30 hot, then after a bit of a cool down went out again. Much better this time, car felt generally more grippy which in turn allowed me to push a fair bit but unfortunately presented me with the same disgusting understeer that I had last time, though I had brand new R888s on this time

I came back to the pits quite disappointed, but decided that instead of whining - I'd jack the rear up and get the rear ARB adjusted.

My settings prior to today were front: soft and rear: medium, meaning I had one more "notch" of ARB adjustment to go which would lean me away from understeer and more to oversteer - which was to move the rear ARB to hard.

The change took 20mins or so, most of which was during a red flag so didn't waste any track time. Droplinks are adjustable to just had to lengthen them slightly to reach the "hard" holes.

Once the car was back together with the wheels on, it was back out on track with an immediate improvement, like proper silver-bullet improvement.

I had a really light back end on turn-in but I locked the diff up a little bit which either fixed it - or I just drove around it/got used to it(?)

The car turned in much better, and I was able to steer the car much better with the gas. At about this time I'd finally got my app working along with a 10hz GPS receiver (to allow for more accurate timing, if I happened to be timing which of course I wouldn't be) and my traffic-clear laps were all in the low 1.18s, which was a little disappointing based on previous GoPro footage.

I returned to the pits feeling pretty damn happy with myself - and I think at about this time it was lunchtime - so headed out for petrol.

My rear ARB was clunking a bit on the drive to petrol, so just tightened up on return to the track - job done.

On the first post-lunch run I started pushing on a bit, specifically on the long accelerating left hander of Lancaster - to find that my outside front wheel was hopping a bit. I consulted my "suspension tuning flowchart" and decided that I perhaps had a bit too much rebound damping on the fronts - so backed that off a couple of clicks and fucking hell it actually seemed to make a difference

My afternoon continued with a nice smooth progress curve, getting into the 1.17s around 2pm with a "best optimum" lap of high 1.14s. The car was feeling consistent, other than being surprised a couple of times on the opening lap of a session (colder tyres? Or just not focusing on the first lap more likely ). This consistency allowed me to push on and on and I was really enjoying it.

With no further tweaks to the car, I got into the 1.16s and then as the track became almost abandoned I got some real good running in and then finally finished the day with a 1.15.76.

As I've done every single trackday, GoPro battery was well dead by then

I need to have a proper look at my app, see if I can find out where I'm losing time specifically on my "virtual best" lap as there's almost 1.5secs still to make up.

Despite a really good day, I've still got a list to look at over winter... as ever:

- Brakes are still not perfect, doesn't feel stable and I know I can't beat physics, but I still feel I need to brake far too soon compared to the Clio's etc on track.

- Spare GoPro Battery

- Rear outside wheel is scrubbing on fast left hand turns, I think I need a bit more ride height and then get my corners re-balanced. Will probably do a post-winter wheel alignment before my first 2015 track day.

There's a fair chance I'll be running the new turbo/etc by the time I next get to Blyton. That makes me nervous, as I still feel the car has got more to give as it is - and I don't want to rock the reliability boat etc... needs thought.

[Edited on 26-10-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Oct 14 at 00:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you had a decent day at least

BarnshaW

27th Oct 14 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that first pic looks like driver tyre is coming off the rim! lol!

great stuff mate, looks well, should stay reliable also when you up the power to a reasonable level.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

28th Oct 14 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks great Kyle, sounds like you had a successful day!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Oct 14 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, it was an excellent day.

I reverted the car back to "road mode" yesterday and made a discovery which I think explained my concerns about my braking!

Spot the difference:

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Obviously something is causing significantly more heat build up on the driver side, so whipped the pads out and this is what I found:

Top left/front left pad in the shot is the inside pad of the driver side - so not visible without removing it. The rest all have tonnes of meat left, but this set is now ruined!

The pistons didn't feel particularly seized when I pushed them back in to fit my road pads - so I think a full strip down, repaint and rebuild is in order so that I can fit brand new pistons, seals, etc.

Orrrrr.... just buy some APs. Need to think about it.

Tyres looking a bit less new, but nice even wear it would seem:

In non-trackday related news, I took the car into the Yorkshire Moors for a couple of days' break with the Missus and the car feels really, really good on the road with my new suspension setup and road tyres. Very comfortable, compliant but doesn't catch me out when pushing on. I think I've finally found the suspension setup I've been looking for!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  65    66    67    68    69    70    71  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0366840 seconds