corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  66    67    68    69    70    71    72  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
28th Oct 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ I didn't realise how much the drivers caliper had changed in colour compared to the passenger side.

Something definitely isn't right with them...
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it's quite bad!

As I mentioned, the pistons felt free enough when I was manipulating them to get the road pads back in - but I wonder if they were jamming whilst hot - and after being allowed to cool they freed up again(?)

I last had the pads out in July - and have only done two trackdays and about 200 road miles in that time, so the brunt of the wear has happened since then... though I have noticed a slight discolouration of the drivers' caliper on pretty much every trackday I've done so perhaps it's always been an issue and has just come to a head this weekend.

Either way, set of pads fucked when they should have lasted me quite a bit longer! If I go AP fronts, I'll be keeping the Brembo rears so I guess I'll still get life out of those...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ouch. Doesn't look good.
BeetleGav

29th Oct 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've cooked both my front calipers on my z4. Couldn't you tell the wheel was getting filthy really quick? And also red hot, my discs were glowing
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dust on the face of the wheel was fairly even, but it was the "inside" pad that was sticking - so the inside of the wheel is probably jet-black... didn't really pay attention.

Put a SNet post up, the guy who sold me my disk pads (Ian @ Godspeed) reckons that the pistons are fine, and it's more likely that the pad just "stuck" in the carrier so it was gently rubbing the disk.

Will be one of my first jobs when I get back in two weeks, new disks, new pads and a nice refurb job I think

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

29th Oct 14 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I get my sti next year. I have an urge for sti pink calipers. Don't ask why I just think they would look cool
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 14 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll sell you a brown one.

Just doing the maths...

Seal kit to rebuild: 220quid for all four corners.
Paint and bits: 30quid?
Pay somebody to paint them after I fuck it up: 50quid
New Pads: 135quid
Possibly new discs, need to inspect the hidden side of mine: 350quid

So that's just under 800quid.

That's pretty much 1500quid, which is the cost of an AP kit which includes all of the above.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

29th Oct 14 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha I like your justification. But £800 isn't nearly 1.5k it's just over half that. But still. I'd go AP
CORSA NUT

30th Oct 14 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people forget to put some copper slip on the carriers as well as the back of the pads. Makes a big difference.

Also AP all the way

[Edited on 30-10-2014 by CORSA NUT]
neil h

30th Oct 14 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
That's pretty much 1500quid, which is the cost of an AP kit which includes all of the above.

Just give Ian a ring and get the APs bought. Although i will say if you buy Ians kit, triple check the capliper/disc position when you fit them. Getting the alignment right is a pain and they can shift slightly under load, so what looked ok initially may well end up rubbing on the disc.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good advice Neil, thanks.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watched some GoPro back and you can hear the fucking brake pad scuffing all the way around

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

30th Oct 14 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get it put on YouTube
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the seals really that expensive? Brake-parts.co.uk were literally less than £20 each side for mine.

Just watched the video back on youtube, I don't half get chucked about.... a testament to how well setup the car is for something that size.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Toby, the non-Brembo 4Pots that came on WRX's etc are about 20quid a set... I'm sure there are some non-Brembo replicas out there somewhere which will be cheaper. Bloody insane prices though for a couple of O-Rings

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Madness, mine are currently £16.49 each side for the same (though smaller) set up. Check their site to see on yours

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&pageSection=BHF&mancode=RENA&brand=RENAULT&model=MEGANE&modelversion=MEGA*(06-09)+RENAULTSPORT+2.0T+(225BHP)

[Edited on 30-10-2014 by Toby]
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've got a similarly priced seal kit for the rears but nothing listed for the fronts. Worth dropping them an e-mail I think.

Whether I go AP's for refurbed Brembo's is irrelevant - I'd want to fix the Brembo's before selling anyway.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What makes you think the aps are going to be any better than the brembos?
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Comments/reviews from others, the two extra pistons, and like I said.. 800quid is pretty much 1500

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all about the pads..
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not like I've got cheap-ass pads in.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few Laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTVqnyciLY&feature=youtu.be

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i know..

Basically.. You have to ask yourself, do you think the ap's will give you better lap times? And is that extra second or two worth £700.

[Edited on 31-10-2014 by chris_uk]
neil h

31st Oct 14 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Good advice Neil, thanks.

No probs, i went from the standard 4 pots on my wrx to a 4 pot AP/330mm disc/ds2500/braided hose combo from Ian and the difference is night and day.

Though like i say, because Ians kits put the caliper mount adaptor on the back of the hub (which Subaru don't machine) rather than the front, it can take a fair bit of fettling to get everything right.
chris_uk
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What pads were you using neil and did you use it on track?

<<  66    67    68    69    70    71    72  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0351319 seconds