corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Nov 12 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I paid £120 a corner for my summer tyres and £80 for my winters, winters are cheaper.

apologies, I paid £80 a tyre but that was with a 35% discount code. I've got Dunlop SP Winter sports which should have been £125 a corner but there are discount codes around if you look for them. Also I had the tyres fitted to the rims in Summer when there wasn't any demand for them - we're now going into winter and the price has gone up.
Matt L

9th Nov 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
I paid £120 a corner for my summer tyres and £80 for my winters, winters are cheaper.

An upper mid range/premium Winter tyre for mine, new, is between £198 - £258 per tyre... Seeing as they are to improve Safety, I wouldn't consider budget/lower mid range offerings.

Then add the cost of getting them swapped over on top of that.

Cost that I don't want to absorb when there is no legal obligation to do so over here.

even budget winter tyres are better than summer tyres though.

end of the day it is down to choice and peoples views on cost/benefit, you choose not too, I choose to as for me the benefit of them exceeds the cost to them.

I am not under any kind illusion that they are required I just prefer to use them as they offer more grip than a summer tyre in the colder wetter weather we have during winter (once again not just for the 3 days of snow/slush/ice we have) however for those days at least im not going to get stuck trying to get off my estate which most other people seem to do and to me paying for a set of tyres which last a good few winters so it isn a case of buying them for just 3 months of the year its buying them for 3 months a year for a couple of years.

and as someone else mentioned if your still worried about costs you can still make a tidy amount when selling them in the new year as people will buy them.
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought some valentines day tyres.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben, you seem likely a lovely lad but your constant baiting becomes dull, boring and tiresome
Corsa_Sport21

9th Nov 12 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Realistically, apart from snow and ice etc, what sort of temperature do these winter tyres have a greater affect than summer tyres??
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ben, you seem likely a lovely lad but your constant baiting becomes dull, boring and tiresome

next big thing mate. Tyre companies will advertise the shit out of them and people will wonder how they ever managed to drive anywhere without them.

Having winter tyres on your car may stop your car quicker if someone pulls out on you, but what about the other 10 cars behind you who all have summer tyres on?Fucked either way.
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, it was 9.5c at 6am today so my summer tyres will be outperforming all your winter tyres.

Had some traction issues the other day when it was chilly but then I just don't drive like a dick then.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not put mine on yet. Will do so towards the end of the month probably
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're a northener so probably experience colder weather than us anyway, so most likely ideal for you.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to really fuck John off, I might drive barefoot too
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if we just do a big burn out before you set off to get tyres up to temp it will be fine.

Becomes expensive changing tyres each week mind.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Matt L

9th Nov 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

next big thing mate. Tyre companies will advertise the shit out of them and people will wonder how they ever managed to drive anywhere without them.

Having winter tyres on your car may stop your car quicker if someone pulls out on you, but what about the other 10 cars behind you who all have summer tyres on?Fucked either way.

then according to john they arent driving to the conditions obviously and the insurance will sort it out.

and tbf all the people behind would be about a mile away any way fucking about at 2mph trying to get going
John

9th Nov 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not according to me. It's according to proper driving practice.
harrisp

9th Nov 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
4x4 plus maxxis buckshot should see me well

I had much fun towing people up hill last year in my disco
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was tricky getting home tonight, thought about pulling over as was almost un drivable, stuck it out and crawled home at 60mph.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you brave brave man. how did you manage? your tips can help the internet save money.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
you brave brave man. how did you manage? your tips can help the internet save money.

Was tricky Ben, if it gets less than 6.5 don't think I'd risk it again, your Z4 will be un controllable in these temps.

I eased off from 80mph to 60mph as soon as dropped below 7 and the spinning was crazy, pulling left, right, almost in a hedge every turn but I managed to wrestle it home.

Worst bit was stopping to reverse onto the drive, nearly had to get missus to push as couldn't move at all. Used the trick of a burn out to warm the ground and tyres and it got me down the drive!

That's it locked up until sun comes out now!

SetH

9th Nov 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You anti winter tyre people will be the first to moan when we get a dusting of Snow and the entire UK comes to a stop.

You don't see the rest of Europe grinding to a halt in winter weather, I wonder why? oh wait...

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I won't I'll be out playing in it, or borrowing Dads BMW for some drifting fun.

Ben J

9th Nov 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coming home today temp dropped to 6oc and the roads were wet. Risked my life and made it home. £1200's worth of snow tyres ordered. I'll sleep easy tonight.
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
You anti winter tyre people will be the first to moan when we get a dusting of Snow and the entire UK comes to a stop.

You don't see the rest of Europe grinding to a halt in winter weather, I wonder why? oh wait...

dusting being the key word here.

in my 6 and a half years of being able to drive, we've only ever had bad snow maybe 3 or 4 times. say each one lasted a week, that's 28 days worth of driving slowly or not using the car in 2372 days. hardly worth buying some wheels and tyres and having to keep taking them on and off.

obviously this argument only works when talking about using winter tyres in snowy conditions, which you are. i do understand they work better in cold/wet weather and when the temperature drops below 7c, but you didn't say this
Hammer

10th Nov 12 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only just put on my Autumn tyres, do I need to change again so quickly?
Jamie-C

10th Nov 12 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don;t want to crash and die or else smash your wheels into a curb, then yes unfortunately
Rich H

10th Nov 12 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know if it's already been mentioned or not and I cba to now sift through pages of anti winter tyre stuff

Reason for winter tyres being pushed much more and advertised heavily over the last few years is surely down to the average British Winter now becoming a bit more 'extreme' ie - we actually have a couple of weeks where it will snow reasonably heavily and temperatures drop quite a lot into the minus figures? Previously we were largely having very mild wet winters where temperatures barely reached 0 or below?!
Ben G

10th Nov 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about years back when our parents and grandparents drove around in deathtraps with no electrical safety devices?

how did they ever manage? or did they not have snow in the olden days?

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them? 23 database queries in 0.1483059 seconds