corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Combe threads and WR

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Combe threads and WR
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
13th Sep 10 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Should just have a changeover date....like digital TV.

Say like on XX/XX/2010 every member that says AYE gets locked from here & reinstated on WR.

would even half the content that gets posted on here by members be suited to something focussed around the track elite people though? off day on a weekend racer site i dont think would work at all like it does here. geek day, sports day etc.......

its not about a mass exodus. its remembering what this site was founded about, and trying to attract new people to that side of it? nothing much would change if say another 100 or more corsa owners signed up.

welcome and attract new people. not have a clear out. probably 50% of people only post in offday anyway. where would they go?
Rob B

13th Sep 10 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could make it so when WR is typed in it doesn't display offday, so that sub forum is invisible as are all the ones like snap day that go with it.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 10 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
You could make it so when WR is typed in it doesn't display offday, so that sub forum is invisible as are all the ones like snap day that go with it.

so it would be exactly the same as it is now just no offday if you typed in weekend racer?

wouldnt that cause problems with people signing up to weekend racer not understanding why general chat is filled with i washed my car, i fitted scene wheels, where to buy bonnet bra's from type threads though?
Colin

13th Sep 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offday doesnt really have a place among either forum really but will always be a requirement to filter what would otherwise fan out into sub forums where they shouldnt be.

Offday could go either way, but its not whats important imo, get the car stuff sorted 1st, the right people using the right forums 1st & then worry about the rest as it comes.
Nic Barnes

13th Sep 10 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Offday doesnt really have a place among either forum really but will always be a requirement to filter what would otherwise fan out into sub forums where they shouldnt be.

Offday could go either way, but its not whats important imo, get the car stuff sorted 1st, the right people using the right forums 1st & then worry about the rest as it comes.

define the right people? there are some that fit nowhere. which causes a seperate problem really?

too many issues to resolve.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 10 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see that a clunky overlap arrangement is the way forward. They're two sites for two purposes and they both should stand alone. WR can't expect CS to fund WR events and WR shouldn't rely on CS for traffic.

I am grateful for the debate and ideas but ultimately, the underlying health of both sites is a matter for each individual site. That doesn't include finding something that pleases people who don't want to log in to both or are wondering where threads about their breakfast are going if they can only talk about Corsas or track days.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by Ian]
chloe16v

13th Sep 10 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so after putting all the work into the camper conversion, you would consider closing the site just because other people use it and there isnt as many corsa owners any more people dont like change an wr is very slow so i think you are going to truggle to get people to move over tbh
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 10 at 01:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't suggest that it would be easy.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent some time thinking about this in bed last night, and i still cannot conceive how exactly its going to be made to work.

Every scenario is a catch 22 situation.

You say you want WR to stand on its own and make it on its own, but it wont get any new sign ups unless it gets busier, and it wont get busier unless quite a few people off here go over there to use it (unless you do loads of advertising which is expensive).

So lets use the poll as a guide about members moving, lets say everyone who doesnt own a corsa moves, last time i looked that was 70%, thats 70% of your userbase off here gone, then this place will start to fall quiet and even the corsa owners will start to filter out onto WR because its busier, this will just get quieter and quieter and end up like WR.

The only non catch 22 situation I can think of is a merge and rename into AN Other.com name that caters for both sets of people. Or advertise like fuck, in every mag, etc etc

Runing two sites by the same operative with so many potential cross over members is just too diluted

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by Steve]
Fro

13th Sep 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
thats because WR hasnt got the userbase at the moment, but direct everyone there and it will have

But the userbase it has, has almost all come from CS, all WR events have been advertised on CS so how is making CS into WR going to affect that at all? CS have had access to WR events all along and even tho it's open to any car, it's never had the turnout of PVS which is limited to Corsas, so merging the may attract new people to WR but it's basically killing off another forum that is still working

Could be part of the problem, if you are advertising WR track days on here and the threads have all of the info and you can order via pm on CS there is no reason for people to use the WR site.

would be better off having a link to the event on WR and directing the traffic for those interested over there?

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by fro-dizzle]
Ojc

13th Sep 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come on everyone lets have a sing along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWiBenBQwI&NR=1

LET THE TELEPHONE RING, ITS ABOUT TO GET PHYSICAL...
gez bay

13th Sep 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent had a corsa in over a year now, but i still like them, and would have another one, with a c20let tho. They still intrest me.
I dont bother with WR because because im on another forum that goes to every track day WR attend but i know everyone on the other forum and its more local to me.

3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG 8 pages, i've read about 3 posts of the first page.

my opinon is why use WR when its just another website with a few CS members.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK as a web designer I can tell you that I think one of the problems with WR is that it's not very enticing as a website (sorry Ian). You go on to the website and you see three sub-forums - that's it.

There's no other information on there after you've typed the website address in your browser about what the website is about, OK it's obviously something to do with cars but what exactly - banger racing? F1 racing? truck racing? To me as a new website visitor, how am I supposed to know what your target audience is about.

It also isn't very search engine optimised - type in "weekend racer" in Google and all you get is this:

quote:
Weekend Racer - Powered by XMB
Weekend Racer, [Queries: 9]. Select A Forum, Forums, » General Chat, » Meets and Events, » Projects and Builds. Go To Top.
www.weekendracer.co.uk/ - Cached - Similar

Now if you look at CS, there's a nice image of some Corsas and people and a bit of text on there, OK this website is about Corsas and making them look nice/go fast etc. - I want to click on the image and find out more about this place!

If you do a search for "corsa sport" in Google you get this:

quote:
Corsa Sport - for Vauxhall, Opel and Holden Corsa and Barina
Contains modification section, event photographs, and message board.
www.corsasport.co.uk/ - Cached - Similar

The title and description tells me exactly what CS is about.

My final observation - too much reliance on CS. I know CS would be the first place to tell people about WR, but you can't expect the same members to go on WR regularly - some people have even pointed out in this very thread, they have forgotten all about WR! So you need to get some new blood on the site via other means - search engines, track days (word of mouth), etc.

Just my two cents worth...

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by Sam]
DaveyLC

13th Sep 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally if it was my choice I would re-brand CorsaSport and merge the two.. It's clear most of the members do not drive corsas and there are other sites that are more geared towards 'modern' corsas.

I think Corsa Sport is in a unique position, most single marque communities are doomed to cater for that marque for their entire existance and most 'general communities' die a death whereas Corsa Sport has gone the other way, its a single marque community that has outgrown that marque because of the loyal followers so clearly it make sense to embrace that..

If CS started being corsa only it would die a slow and painful death.
DaveyLC

13th Sep 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
OK as a web designer I can tell you that I think one of the problems with WR is that it's not very enticing as a website (sorry Ian). You go on to the website and you see three sub-forums - that's it.

As Sam says, content is king! But the other end of that is also content over-load, if there are to many sub-forums hidding away then people wont bother to read them.

If CS and WR merged it would be nice to have individual blog areas and specific galleries for those who contribute the most.. The blog entires could be attached the threads so people can have their say..

A little bit like Pistonheads which is obvioulsy very successful!

I also believe its the simplicity of CS which is one of its main reasons for success, the site is easy to use and its easy to get involved.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Personally if it was my choice I would re-brand CorsaSport and merge the two.. It's clear most of the members do not drive corsas and there are other sites that are more geared towards 'modern' corsas.

I think Corsa Sport is in a unique position, most single marque communities are doomed to cater for that marque for their entire existance and most 'general communities' die a death whereas Corsa Sport has gone the other way, its a single marque community that has outgrown that marque because of the loyal followers so clearly it make sense to embrace that..

If CS started being corsa only it would die a slow and painful death.

definately its a powerful position to be in for a merger or rebrand

seems crazy not to consider it, it would be less work and more cost effective for ian to manage just one site aswell

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by Steve]
DaveyLC

13th Sep 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CorsaSport is dead.. Long live CorsaSport.
DaveyLC

13th Sep 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also as that old jobs worth from the "750 racing club" pointed out at combe.. We are not "Racers"
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just read the first and last pages there so sorry if I'm repeating anything - people are saying that the majority of fowk on here don't drive a corsa. But I'd put a tenner on the fact that there are even less people go to track days regularly.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats why a rebrand into a common name is being discussed
Colin

13th Sep 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I just read the first and last pages there so sorry if I'm repeating anything - people are saying that the majority of fowk on here don't drive a corsa. But I'd put a tenner on the fact that there are even less people go to track days regularly.

Your probably correct but what does that mean
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But are the eejits that use it just for a bit of banter not just going to annoy the track focused people (which I assume WR is full of)?
gez bay

13th Sep 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the site need just a makeover. Dont change the name or anything. I would put a sub section on here like.. 'track days and road stories, and when you click on it have a little intro about the site.
It would be people from here and people new coming in if they come across it from another site
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

Your probably correct but what does that mean

As in if Corsasport was rebranded as a track day website

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Combe threads and WR 22 database queries in 0.0182669 seconds