corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
18th Jul 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so people who drive fast on tracks automatically are the be all and know all over people who maybe drive a variety of cars on the road, maybe in conditions which allow it to be driven fast around corners.

you dont have to be one of the elite track drivers we have on corsasport to understand if a car handles well.....
3CorsaMeal

18th Jul 12 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i could only pick one (going back to orginal question), it would be more power on the corrado as i feel the handling is adequate as it is.

But what i've actually done is left the engine standard and spent all my money rebuilding the steering and suspension

i guess the engine didn't run out as fast as the suspension has.

So if i had a brand new corrado i would probably add more power.

///3CM
AK

18th Jul 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without a shadow of a doubt my driving is MUCH better than it was 5 or so years ago.

Driving to and from work or at weekend down backroads will give you a general skill set.

On track (for me anyway) you tend to push a LOT harder than you would on roads.

My awareness - situational and hazard is much better now.
My reactions are better - i.e not really quicker but better suited to the problem. Example - not over reacting.

I would say 'yes' someone was has spent a lot of time on track will be a much better driver for it.

You can learn a lot more about the dynamics of car stabilty when youre not worried that you'll take out a kiddie on the pavement.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These 'elite track people' probably Want something different because they know its not always down to huge amounts of power. Lets face it these elite folk are the ones who really push their cars to the limits and use the car to its almost full potential. You try find any professional race driver which would rather have shit loads of power in a crap chassis over less power in a excellent chassis.
3CorsaMeal

18th Jul 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say i'm an elite road driver.

Done about 300,000miles of fast road driving, only bent a few wheels in all that time as well.

BarnshaW

18th Jul 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the thread is about ROAD and track, the OP does not just mention track.
AK

18th Jul 12 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
the thread is about ROAD and track, the OP does not just mention track.

You asked me if driving on track made you a better driver. I responded saying yes, I think it does.

BarnshaW

18th Jul 12 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never asked that, i said i didnt think it did.

not in reference to yourself but doing a few trackdays a year does not make someone an oracle on how a car handles and performs which is what people on this forum seem to think and look down on anyone elses opinion, its cringeworthy.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not really whats happening tho is it.
AK

18th Jul 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough.... but i think 'they' will have a better understanding of handling if they push a car to its limits on track.

If they dont and just hammer up the straights like Nic then no.... just the same
BarnshaW

18th Jul 12 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in reflection though and i am probably just playing devils advocate here, put one of these track drivers in nics car and see if they can handle that amount of power or control a car with that much power, yes they might be good pushing a slow car around a corner but would no doubt have no experience in a proper performance car whether that be on track or on the road so its swings and roundabouts.

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by BarnshaW]
AK

18th Jul 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you calling Nics 500bhp milk float a 'proper performance car'?

I'm pretty certain that his car will be 'not very good' on a tight twisty track.

A 'proper performance car' is something like a 911 GT3. Fast and handles without the need to add shit to it.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barney, its easy to put your foot down in a straight line and go fast, its the corner bit thats hard, that doesnt change too much regardless of the power, you can go too fast for a corner in a car with little power.

Power doesnt have a lot to say about things in the corner itself, the idea is to stay off the power really, if youre used to a car you may have a better idea when to hit the throttle coming out the corner, but thats about it
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see what you mean, get someone who has only ever driven a 120bhp fwd car and throw them into a 550bhp rwd car yes there would be a serious learning curve to climb but if you understand the principles of car dynamics then i couldnt imagine it being too difficult. Sure they will be overwhelmed by the jump in performance and that might scare them into backing off to a really slow speed in the corners but doesnt that just express how much a good handling car is more important overall than just raw power?

The most important thing when driving fast on track or the road in my eyes at least is confidence, confidence in your car and the cars ability to do whats being asked of it. Then along with that is the knowledge to realise when your asking too much of the car and what its capable of doing.

Ben G

18th Jul 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
... because we know best.

head up arse mind you, you've always been that way.
AK

18th Jul 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh, the humour
Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh my car was spot on round oulton park.
AK

18th Jul 12 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes..... but what I think folk (that are being dubbed elite or whatever) are trying to say is

Do you know any better though?

Didnt you admit that you were going pretty slow on the corners? If so.... how can that be defined as 'spot on'?

a LDV convoy with a hugh engine could be 'spot on'

Nic Barnes

18th Jul 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excuse me for being a novice!
SportBoy

18th Jul 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the people who are insinuating nics corsa is basically crap at handleing. whos car is it? If his is bad a standard one must be dangerous.
Oneday people will realise corsas can handle.
mattk

18th Jul 12 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obviously you need both to be of a certain level to have fun, Id rather have more power than handling though. I dont drive tracks, I do alot of fast road driving, can handle as well as you want, but its not much good if you havent got the power to overtake the Micra doing 45 in front of you
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jul 12 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
I love the people who are insinuating nics corsa is basically crap at handleing. whos car is it? If his is bad a standard one must be dangerous.
Oneday people will realise corsas can handle.

Ive read that twice and i have no fucking idea what your on about.
SportBoy

18th Jul 12 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i can read it fine... sorry you cant.
possy

18th Jul 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is the point of havin a car that handles if you dont have the power to pull your self out of a corner when you can get on to the straights other wise its poitntless

am i right or wrong or what

[Edited on 18-07-2012 by possy]
AK

18th Jul 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Excuse me for being a novice!

And there you have it!

Clarity!

Someone with more experience pushing a car to its limits <on corners> will know how to drive the car quicker in corners and therefor been in a better position to judge a cars handling.

I'm not really saying Joe Blogs cant etc.... just trying to make a point.

Corsas arent great at handling... the sooner folk accept that the better I used to think mine was great untill I tried other (better) things.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0182960 seconds